What do you make your pie pastry with

Georgina

I tried various ingredients but cannot get anything that remotely resembles my pastry in England or taste for that matter.  It's not the flour I think, but I used to use lard 50/50 with butter but don't know where to find it.  What do you use,?

Georgina

It could be that it is much warmer out there? you need to put your pastry mixture in the fridge until very cold before you roll it out, and get it in the oven while still cold , warm pastry mxture will not cook as well

[quote user="Philmco"]Lard in French is "Saindoux" and should be in the fats section of the dairy cabinet.[/quote]

You would think so wouldn't you, and that is where I used to look - but it's with the cooked pork products (i.e. ham, charcuterie etc) in our Super U - no, I can't understand the logic either![8-)](Apart from it being made from pork, so I suppose that's the explanation[:)])

The pre-made circles - usually pate feuillete!!!!   A cop-out I know - but they are cheap, taste nice, are easy to use and freeze well!

Su (Deux-Sèvres)

Yes, thanks, they are good but I am sick of those now as they are too thin.  Nothing beats a good crust.

Thank you Pads for the tip and Rob Roy I will look in Super U trouble is it's not local.  Can't see anything in the Geant.

Georgina

[quote user="Georgina"]

The pre-made circles - usually pate feuillete!!!!   A cop-out I know - but they are cheap, taste nice, are easy to use and freeze well!

Su (Deux-Sèvres)

Yes, thanks, they are good but I am sick of those now as they are too thin.  Nothing beats a good crust.

Thank you Pads for the tip and Rob Roy I will look in Super U trouble is it's not local.  Can't see anything in the Geant.

Georgina

[/quote]

I agree that the ready rolled pastry sold here is better than anything I can make, mine is always like brick! My mum always made lovely pastry but she didn`t seem to use anything different to me........except she had exceptionaly cold hands!

I agree also that the rounds are a little thin, intermarche used to do an economy one that was in a square and you could roll it to your liking but that seems to have gone off sale.

Russethouse shouldn`t even be thinking of pastry!  You have a wedding to go to young lady[:D] Is that realy you in your avatar?  The first that I realise I have added a few pounds is when my double chin reapears!   If that is you in your avatar , your face gives the impression that your body would be svelt.

Half and half lard and that hard marg you find here.

Floats out of the pie dish.....

Being tight - have you seen the price of saindoux - I use all hard marg sometimes.

I have TU's recipe if anyone wants it.  I must admit that I didn't like it.  It was too 'cakey' for me but don't listen to me....  I make excellent pastry but my cakes are often a bit strange![:$][:$]

I will search for it . . .

>>>Russethouse shouldn`t even be thinking of pastry!  You have a wedding to go to young ladyBig Smile [:D] Is that realy you in your avatar?  The first that I realise I have added a few pounds is when my double chin reapears!   If that is you in your avatar , your face gives the impression that your body would be svelt<<<

Luckily pastry, bread, potatoes and cake are not great passions - cheese and wine are more likely to be my downfall, in the case of the wine. literally ! Shame really because I make a mean Lardy Cake, Chocholate Torte etc.........

No Opas, I'm afraid its not me, but my daughter.....she does take after me though.[:)] from me, [:(] from her ........LOL !

The wedding will be interesting because apart from a few family I will not know many of the people there, my sister and I are nothing alike in looks at all !!

[quote user="Philmco"]Lard in French is "Saindoux" and should be in the fats section of the dairy cabinet.[/quote]

In LeClerc supermarkets it is in the chill cabinet with sausages, rillettes and patés.  Regis Bahier is the brand they stock - white wrapper with a red logo.

I get fed up making pastry and always use the ready rolled stuff now, Champion or Leclerc, depends which one's the better offer.

And I always put the uncooked pastry case back in the fridge before blind baking or filling cos my hands are far too warm.

Also double egg the pastry when I'm making anything en croute.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

I get fed up making pastry and always use the ready rolled stuff now, Champion or Leclerc, depends which one's the better offer.

And I always put the uncooked pastry case back in the fridge before blind baking or filling cos my hands are far too warm.

Also double egg the pastry when I'm making anything en croute.

[/quote]

But I thought warmish hands made better pastry as it seems to blend better.  So it's better cold.  Must try that then. Just shows you what you can learn. Must say I made lovely pastry in England warm hands as well but it's the lard that I could not find.

Georgina