Gratin Dauphinoise

Dick Smith

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my version and it's delicious:

Peel and thickly slice enough potatoes to fit your sized gratin dish. Put them in a saucepan and add enough double cream (or a mix of double/single) to just cover the potatoes with a crushed clove of garlic, a teaspoon of salt (or to taste) and freshly ground black pepper, bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 10 minutes gently  turning now and again so that it doesn't scorch on the bottom of the pan.  Turn out into your buttered gratin dish, sprinkle a little freshly grated nutmeg and cook in a moderate oven for about 40 minutes or until golden. Doing it this way makes sure that every slice of potato is covered with the cream.

If it wasn't a red day I would have it for dinner tonight, it's heavenly - and so it should be with all that cream.

This recipe (in French) is close to Susie24's, with the added comment to leave the potatoes to cool before baking, to allow the flavours to 'happen' (as Gary Rhodes would say!)

I used to bake it from scratch, then adopted the 'cook'n bake' method after watching Raymond Blanc using it on TV one day...

Dick, if you want to be really decadent in the dauphinois stakes try this:

As a dedicated fat bastard I can highly recomend it

Potatoes thinly sliced on mandolin, watch your fingers!!, finely sliced onions, smoked salmon, cheapo from the local supermarche is fine, arrange in layers to suit taste but  starting and ending with potatoes.  Mix some creme fraiche with white wine, season with pepper,  crumble in some roquefort or blue cheese of choice  into the cream mix, don't need salt as there is enough in the salmon and cheese, the cream mix should be quite thin and liquid

I tend to microwave the base ingredients for 10 mins to get them started with a splash of the white wine to add fluid , pour cream mix over the top then pop into 200c  oven till nice and golden brown on top 25 mins or so.  Can also be done in individual dishes as a nice starter.

Serve hot with salad,  wine of choice and some good company.

du pays des 4 montagnes'll do nicely. I dry all the slices too in a clean tea towel. And I put a sprinkle of nutmeg on top. I cook it in a hot oven, 200°c for about 45 minutes covered in alu and then the last half an hour without the alu and it goes brown and I like it when the liquid has thickened a bit.

A very close friend is from one of those towns mentioned in those beautiful Vercor mountains.

It's right though, every family has their own recipe, and some of them are  well,  not nice.

We had puter problems and my recipe is stuck on the other puter at the moment, so can't paste it on here.

[quote user="Teamedup"]

We had puter problems and my recipe is stuck on the other puter at the moment, so can't paste it on here.

[/quote]

Isn't it in your head TU?  After a quarter of a century cooking, some recipes just don't need to be looked up [;-)]

Interesting that you mention drying the potatoes TU.  Every recipe I have read says that this is a MUST.  However, I use Raymond Blanc's recipe and he says it's an absolute NO NO.  It's the starch in the potatoes that cause the cream to thicken and I agree with him on that.  His recipe is like the first one mentioned on this thread, except that he does add quite a bit of gruyere to the cream in the saucepan and then some more on the top Dick.  It's really lovely.  He also says you can make it in advance to the pouring into the gratin dish and finish the last 30-40 minutes in the oven when you're ready to eat and that's what I do when I'm doing my TDH.  A great help to get it done earlier in the day if you're doing 4 course dinners every evening.

Coco, Raymond Blanc is not doing a 'proper' gratin dauphinois then, he is doing his version or simply another sort of gratin. If you want that authentic and really subtle delicious and I must add rich flavour you don't put cheese in it and it thickens very nicely with dried potatoes. I would never serve mine with another vegetable, it would detract from it. This is one dish I feel really strongly about.

I  make other gratins and they are excellent but I don't 'care' as much about them either,  this is the best and an occassional treat.

When we first got to France we found that it was being served regularly in restos and we loved it. I tried to make it with every recipe I could get hold of and it was never like the delicious dishes we were given in the restaurants. One evening we were eating in Grenoble, the capital of the Daupiné, we had the best gratin dauphinois we had ever had and I asked for the recipe. AND the chef gave it to me. I suspect that he thought that an anglaise wouldn't do it, but ofcourse I did. And the recipe produced equally excellent results, so that is that for me.

I suppose that was when I went off Nigella when she was boiling stuff for one in a pan. Even now the idea irritates me, probably far more than it should. But I love cooking and this particular dish is one I am empassioned about.

There you go DS

Gratin Savoyard       http://www.linternaute.com/femmes/cuisine/recette/218329/4131128192/gratin_savoyard.shtml

You could add lardons to this, but you are getting towards a tartiflette the more stuff you add and the more you play with this

Gratin Lyonnais        http://www.baycriscuisine.com/recette-1948-Gratin_lyonnais.html