Do you like all things French?

TWINKLE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Teamedup"].....My french female friends seem hooked on Marie Brizzard, which in comparison to Pernod is a bit of a wimps drink..... I don't like Suze, I find it too bitter.  [/quote]

Marie Brizzard! [+o(] Too much of it when young! so yes its a wimp's drink and I've grown up! as to Suze, my Mother has it intravenously... almost... for ever with a glass of it before a lunch time meal....[+o(]

My favorite tipples [:D] : Ricard, white wine (preferably Sancerre, Chablis, Muscadet, Montbazillac...) a good Scottish whisky (Laphroaig, Famous Grouse, Glenlivet...) Champagne (Moët, Veuve Cliquot, Mumm...)  copious amounts of H2O non gazeuse though not minding Badoit from time to time....

I will reluctantly [:(] drink Eurofizz if none of the above are available.... High maintenance as you can see [:D]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Do you want to try the pigs trotters in March then? 

[/quote]

Yum! Yum! Yummy!! I make a point of having pig's trotters when ever I come to France. Favorite place for that is 'Au Pied de Cochon' near Les Halles in Paris... It is fingerlicking good fodder! just like having spare ribs down at the local Chinese restaurant in UK.

As to tripe now't wrong wivit! If they are well prepared by the charcutier, all you need is lot of fried onions, carrots, tripes, salt, pepper, bayleaves, cider and bake it all in a low heat oven for 1 to 2 hours... and with a big chunk of granary bread or 'du pain' it is a warming winter dish!... Yum!....

Suze and Gentiane Salers are both recommended for good digestion. They contain the root of the bitter herb gentian, which is said to stimulate the action of the liver in breaking down ingested fats. I drink mine ice cold and with a slice of lemon or lime.

I prefer Anisette Floranis to Pernod or Ricard.  It's considered posh here but I find it lighter in taste and quite different in fell, if you know what I mean. It does not anaesthetise the tongue quite so forcefully! I've gone off Perrier (too bubbly) and Badoit (to soft in taste)...

Whisky-wise, Dalwhinnie does it for me!

I made it a personal challenge to try tripe for the first time last year on finding it was the plat du jour in the beautiful riverside resto in Salies de Bearn.

Cooked, of course, a la bearnaise - with lots of rich brown gravy, I can report that it was quite unexpectedly delicious, much meatier than I had anticipated.  I would gladly choose it again cooked that way, though I have to say that  if it came as just a white slab without the lovely sauce, I am not quite so sure.....?

PS  I absolutely love Suze, especially with tonic!

Lindsey

suze and salers are definitely an aquired taste, which we haven't aquired! Ghastly stuff, can't even fob it off on the neighbours or unsuspecting visitors :(

I went on a guided tour (near Salers) where they make the stuff and one of the samples was almost drinkable, although i think it was more of a liqueur

Oh dear, tripe and suze are about the only two French things that I do not like. Just about everything else, even andouille, I will happily eat and drink. Mrs Will, who is rather more francophile than me in most respects, won't touch most of the more French foods, though I have managed to get her to enjoy foie gras.

Edit - that last phrase originally read 'I have managed to convert her to foie gras' - that could definitely be taken the wrong way.  [:D]

Never tried Suze but from the description I don't think I'd like it - I have a bit of a sweet tooth when it comes to most drinks (except wine, which I like dry).  Oh and I actually like Absinthe, especially after trying it at Vive la France a few years ago.  Trouble is, it's such a pain having to faff about with that holey spoon, sugar and iced water.  I like something you can just knock straight back!  Can anyone tell me what Byrrh is like?

I can't bear tripe or andouillette but andouille is actually quite nice, though very pricey.  I've even tried boudin blanc now and like it, as well as boudin noir (especially avec pommes)  and rillettes are most types are nice and that mashed cod stuff - what's it called?  Brondade?  Something like that.  Calvados is OK but a bit fiery for me, nice in coffee though, and pommeau as a sweet apero.  The other two things I have learnt to love since I lived here are chicken livers and gesiers.  Luv-lee.  I now eat my meat much rarer than I did in the UK and we are currently working up to trying steak tartare - it's the raw egg that puts me off more than the raw beef. 

Foie gras has always been a favourite. 

My mum tells me pigs trotters are lovely but can't quite bring myself to try those, although OH keeps asking me to get some, especially since he saw that they are only about 30 cents each!

[quote user="Coco"]

My mum tells me pigs trotters are lovely but can't quite bring myself to try those, although OH keeps asking me to get some, especially since he saw that they are only about 30 cents each!

[/quote]

Love them - and used to have them a lot as a child (in England) - cheap and nutritious - according to my mum! Especially with broad beans, new potatoes and home made parsley sauce....mmmmm

Kathie

I was obviously spelling phonetically! [;-)]  Brandade and rabbit..... can I come!  I suppose rabbit is another thing, although we ate it a lot in the UK when we could get hold of it, it's almost a staple here.  Can I get my English guests to eat it though?  Well, only those over 60, who always say they love it and haven't had it for years.  Rabbit casseroled in dijon mustard, yummy.

All the rabbit I have seen in France comes skinned and wrapped ( with the head hiding under the liver ! just to make me jump) and is obviously farmed.

Is it possible to get wild rabbit with the bits of lead still in it as seen hanging outside traditional butchers in the UK or are they not allowed to sell it that way?

Still wouldn't touch tripe in any form with a bargepole, but then nobody has ever offered my tripe in any form, and that's good, because I don't always carry my bargepole with me.

I'll eat foie gras if it's there, but it's no big deal.

Mostly, French food is okay, but nothing to write home about. [;-)]

Still wouldn't touch tripe in any form with a bargepole, but then nobody has ever offered my tripe in any form, and that's good, because I don't always carry my bargepole with me.

I'll eat foie gras if it's there, but it's no big deal.

Mostly, French food is okay, but nothing to write home about. [;-)]

We are invited to a 20th birthday dinner this lunch time and on the menu is home made potage aux truffe, we have had truffels twice before and I still don't like them, in an omelette, with mashed potatoes and now as a soup, I agree with RG, 'French food is okay, but nothing to write home about'

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

Just an update, we have just returned from our 'feast' and I have to say that the potage aux truffe was really very nice[:D] I still willl not write a letter home[;-)]

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]