la fressure

mousseux

Does anyone know what this is and have they tried it?

We have been invited to our French friend for dinner and this is what is on the menu. I have a funny feeling it is going to involve bits of pig that I would not normally eat, I am willing to give it a go I just want to prepare myself !

I shall be fascinated to hear what fressure is like!  I have so far managed to avoid it int he Vendee.  It is much revered by the oldies, and appears to be a blend of pigs' blood, breadcrumbs etc that is rendered down to a sort of spreadable black paste.  I read about a local old folks' home having held a day of fressure-making (bet it was a smelly process!), which seems to have been much enjoyed by all.

Bon courage! 

Angela

I shall certainly let you know what it's like. Our neighbours, who are not old, have been threatening us with it for a week, fortunately my other half has been working earlies and so far we have got away with it - but there is always this evening! Also don't forget we will have to have this served with the obligatory mogetts, now those I like.

I'm waiting with trepidation.

Well last night was the night and it tasted rather nice.

It comes as a block which you heat up in a frying pan rendering it down to a very very rich meaty sort of gravy. The taste is somewhere between black pudding and haggis but not as peppery just very rich and of course it was served with mogetts which you mix in with it. As it is so rich you cannot eat a lot of it which was probably a good thing.

A word of warning though, this should not be eaten late at night as it lays very heavy on the stomach. Also don't ever serve it as a romantic dinner for two, it was a very windy night in the mousseux household last night to say the least, although I could put that down to the mogetts.!

No it smells a bit like black pudding/haggis if you know what they smell like. I would certainly reccommend you give it a try just remember its very rich so you don't need to eat too much of it. It's best eaten as the miday meal so I've been told and if you don't like mogetts you could have it with mashed potatoes.

Enjoy!

WHAT ARE MOGETTES?  !! [:-))] [:-))] [:-))]

Ah, OK Patf, I see you come from the Gers so you are excused...

At the risk of veering off-topic here:

In the Vendee you cannot contemplate a meal without mogettes. They are white haricot beans (like the ones that make up baked beans), stewed lovingly for hours and served meltingly soft with meat.  Gosh, you can see I have become brainwashed over the years.  I used to hate them!

They are a good foil to meat - i.e. with roast lamb, or (especially in the Vendee) served with slices of grilled gammon. I sometimes serve them with British bangers too.  You have to soak them overnight, then add a bit of garlic (but no salt until the end of cooking, or it toughens them), and simmer till soft.  In the autumn, you can buy "mi-secs", which are the beans still in their pods. These need no soaking, and rather less cooking. 

I admit to cheating usually, and buying the excellent version in jars: "au naturel" is just in water, with added salt; "a la paysanne" is flavoured with garlic, meat stock and spices; and my favourite "a l'ancienne" has all the foregoing, plus bits of carrot and bacon.

Angela

PS  Thank you to the brave fressure-eater!   It sounds quite good, actually...

Claire and Angela - thanks for the explanation. Quite a relief, I was thinking they must be yet another french version of mashed potato. I buy beans in jars too, Angela, in the foreign section of Intermarche. They have "Big Beans" from Spain which are very like british tinned butter beans. I make a casserole with stew meat onions and these beans, plus some tinned tomatoes, in the slow cooker.