Yum yum cakes

anniefromwales

Just got back home (to Normandie) after a few weeks campingcar-ing around France, during which I couldn't help noticing that the cakes on sale vary from region to region. Wondered what everyone's favourite local cake is? I particularly liked those HUGE meringuey things things they have in the Nord (are they called Merveilleux?) covered in chocolate strands with choccy cream in the middle, and the Kouign Amann (is that how you spell it?) in Brittany that is a bit like the lardycake you used to be able to get in the north of England.

The actual Yum Yum cake comes from the Middle East of course, deep in the Tigris Valley, where they were made out of the usual indredients, plus a secret additive, thought to be dagga seeds. The strange thing is that the word dagga travelled as far as the bottom of Africa where it is used for wacky cigarettes.

When we first came here we were real gluttons for the cakes and pastries. Our favourites were fruit flans with a layer of patisserie cream below the fruit and a glaze over the top, and the tiny danish pastries - are these french or danish?

I also once found a red fruit charlotte which was delicious.

I've tried to copy some of these, with mixed success, as I'm no good with pastry.

yesss, I also wonder about " Danish pastries".. In the UK recently, I bought what was for me a French " pain au raisin" ( LOVE them), and it was labelled " Danish pastry" .. dunno..

In France, I love " moelleux au chocolat ", " tropezienne"  ( south east) ; tarte aux fraises with whipped cream..

But almost never have them.. My hips don't like them !!!! [:D]

[quote user="Patf"]

When we first came here we were real gluttons for the cakes and pastries. Our favourites were fruit flans with a layer of patisserie cream below the fruit and a glaze over the top,...

[/quote]

Am I the only one who finds such fruit flans dreadfully disappointing?  A delight to the eye, yes, but all that yucky filling under the fruit! And they don't seem to get any better the more you pay for them.

Now, a good fresh almond croissant, there's a treat!

from Phil and Pat (sorry can't quote!)
Now, a good fresh almond croissant, there's a treat!

Yes, I'd go along with that.

There are variations on the "frangipane" theme, like a "conversation" (made around here, no idea if it is local or not). "Feuilleté frangipane" too. "Tarte aux noix" is divine, and that is definitely local.

What about "Paris-Brest"? (not the industrial version, but the artisanale version). Where is it from?

I won't even start with the various chocolate cakes, fondants and brownies...anything with dark chocolate....

Oh yes, and anything with coconut. And/or lime/lemon.

I also find French cakes rather sweet and sickly.  I'm not a big cake fan anyway - I just go for things that are really dark chocolate such as moelleux.  I look at the cakes in the Patisserie and wonder who on earth can afford to buy those things.  A lot of people must be buying cakes on a regular basis to warrant so many shops selling these, yet I've never been served them in a French household - just things like eclairs etc.  I look at the cakes sometimes and think they look nice, but never feel I can justify paying so much for so little.

Apple cake and tart is a bit of a worry with one of my French friends.  The first time we went to stay with her, she had made apple cake, but had forgotten it in the oven.  For two days, we politely ate it saying we couldn't tell it was burnt!  The next time we went to stay, she had made a tarte aux pommes and once again, she had burnt it.  I would never choose to eat it, but do eat it when offered.  The next time we went, apple tart was not offered with lunch.  We went out for the afternoon, and thought we had escaped.  When we returned to her home, she invited us in for gouter.................yes, and it was burnt!  Otherwise she is a very good cook!

There are two stories about what the Paris-Brest was named after.  One is that it was named in honour of a bicycle race that went from Paris to Brest and back to Paris in 1892 and another tells of a patissier cook who would bake it on the train ride from Paris to Brest.  The journey took 5 hours and so he had the time to cook it and the passengers had time to enjoy it too in their carriage.

Excuse me for being so informative - I don't know what's wrong with me[:)]

This is a great quick cake for the microwave

175g marg

175g caster sugar

40g cocoa powder

150g self raising flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

3 tablespoons milk

3 eggs

Put all ingredients into food processer and run until all mixed together.You might have to scrape down sides to make sure it is all being mixed

When mixed put into crock or plastic dish.A pate dish is ideal with straight edges.Put a ring of greasproof in the bottom and throw the mix in .Level surface

Cook on medium heat for 8 or 9 minutes.If you use the dark cocoa powder this makes a really nice dark chocolate cake that can be cut in half and sandwiched together with cream.And for special occasions melted chocolate on top.You can also make a coconut version by substituting dessicated cocunut for the cocoa.This is really nice sprinkled with icing sugar and filled with jam.

The ultimate French cake for me has to be the macaron, such delicate little morsels, such pretty colours, unusual flavours, Rose being my favorite but sooo expensive! but that does help woth portion control!the best I've had are from around Bordeaux (there is a shop at the Airport) but I don't know if that's their home, shame as I don't fly into Bordeaux anymore[:(]