distance from boundary

mike151

The rules on hedging vary from commune to commune - you should ask at your Mairie.  A typical ruling might be a maximum height of 2 metres, planted no less than 1 metre from your boundary.  This would enable you to maintain both sides of your hedge without having to enter your neighbour's property.

Chrissie (81)

may i explain that i erected the fence about 100mm on my side of the red markers put in by a geometre when i bought the land, which is in fact a large field, ive already planted up things 1.5 m inside of this so i hope i'm ok as the other boundary has his forrest coming right up to the fence i'm about to erect along the line of my red markers.i'd also like to plant this up in case they ever chop the forrest down.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Loiseau"]

Interesting...

But it looks like a Belgian site.  Are the rules exactly the same in France?

Angela

[/quote]

Not quite sure why it seems Belgian... It is the site of a French monthly consumer / financial magazine. I susbcribe to it and find it very useful for all sorts of info... I have recommended it in the forum before...

I have just seen this thread and funnily enough I asked this question at the Marie today. I was told today that you must plant 2 metres from the boundary of your property. I assume you could grow whatever you want with no height restrictions in a rural situation if it is at least 2 metres away. However, I stupidly didn't think to ask the question on height restrictions.[:$]

Our problem on this part of our property is EDF. They come through and cut all of the trees about 30 metres wide for the electricity poles that just come to our house.  So we must talk to them and hopefully come to an arrangement where they don't cut them down but only trim if necessary, hopefully.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Email me privately and I'll send you a copy.[/quote]

Hi Tony, I did send an e-mail yesterday so don't know if you received it but as it turns out I probably don't need it anyway. 

I don't know if this will help anyone else but I spoke to EDF and they said as long as the trees are at least two metres from the lines it is OK. That includes any trees planted underneath and along the sides. I was also told at the Maries yesterday as I mentioned, that any trees that we planted needed to be at least two metres from our boundary. So it appears to me at least, in our situation, two metres is the magic number. [:)]

I never received it. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be the first time I've had problems receiving e-mails with Onetel, particularly accessing it from France. Sometimes they do eventually show up. Thank you for taking the time to send it to me in any case. [:)]

• 2 years later...
'it's not true that the distance changes from commune to commune, there is a national law on this which was explained in full in a French gardening magazine, complete with diagrams, earlier this year.I've got it as a .pdf file and if you email me privately, I'll send you a copy as I've done to several other people on here'.

Hello Tony,

Do you still have the article?

Thanks Chris

As mentioned in this thread...

Local by-laws may apply in regard to

the planting distance. Check at the mairie.

If there are no

by-laws
, Art.671

of the code civil
applies:

Trees over 2m high

should be planted no closer than 2m from the boundary (distance measured

from the centre of the trunk)

Tree under 2m high should be planted

no closer than 0.50m from the boundary.