Question !!!!!!!coin changer in supermarket

Cluzo

In our local Sainsburys back in the UK . There is a machine in the lobby that folk seem to chuck bags and bags of loose change in .   I think they get a voucher or something for the value ( less a small percentage) I expect.

My question is   Does any one know ifsuch a thing exsist in France  ???????????as I dont remember seeing one anywhere - and I have been looking out for one for over a year.

Ive got a pot of schrapnel on the bookcase (as have most of my friends)    and I feel guilty when I realise that loads of it is freshly minted and that there are those horrible open cast mines ( madigascar) for some reason springs to mind that can be seen from the moon ( alegedley )

Or!!!!!!  any one know of any charity boxes I can empty them into???? .    I cant say I have seen any of them around in France either.

In previous years Ive passed them on to a friend who has taken them to his church fellowship - but he is now perminantly back in th UK

Sorry to have gone on a bit  --------But i would really like to find a home for all the bits .

Thanks for the swift reply Claire .

I did search but despite being directed to some very interesting threads which took me  over an hour and 2 cups of tea !!to read unfortunatly they have absolutly nothing to do with my search !!!   But never mind I think Ive missed the sun in the garden now as i was going to have a sneaky sitdown with a good book .

[quote user="Cluzo"]In our local Sainsburys back in the UK . There is a machine in the lobby that folk seem to chuck bags and bags of loose change in .   I think they get a voucher or something for the value ( less a small percentage) I expect. [/quote]

According to the Coinstar site, in the UK, for every £1 these machines take in they give you 92.1p credit. Having seen people queuing up to use these machines I have come to realise that once again I have missed a trick. SEVEN POINT NINE PER CENT COMMISSION!!!!

In Ireland, it's 9.4% commission. For doing nothing.

Regards

Pickles

L'eclerc in Trelissac has such a machine - gives you vouchers to spend in the store, but they are dated (I think you have about a month to spend them !!)

Can only assume all large L'eclerc stores provide the same service. Someone else on here mentioned something about getting "short-changed [Www] " by this machine, but when I used it it was fine. I had counted it all first and then dropped in about 10 euros worth at a time. I does take a while and you can hear the cents trundle down inside... I changed about 90 euro no problem (except carrying it into the store [:D] )

La Poste in most medium sized towns will have the machine that you are looking for.

Iceni. Like you I am bemused that people should hve this problem where they need to pay 7 or 9 % commision to get rid of unwanted change, one day I hope to have problems like that! For the moment all my change goes to the boulangerie for one of lifes essenntials.

Mind you I saved up the deposit for my first house (which I still own) by saving coins, I would only spend notes and put everything else into a large whisky bottle, it came to over £13k (yes I did have to take the bottle to the bank several times) when I bought the house back in the days when one had to have 25% deposit, none of the younger generation in the UK will believe this, the French see it as normal.

Don't they sell coin counters in France? My son has one here and just uses it to bag up change and take it to the bank. Rather than lose 7% it may be worth buying one.

Our loose change goes in a big bottle and when charity collectors come to the door we give them a handful or so, so far no complaints (there is silver in the jar too so its not as mean as it sounds)

Thanks for the  tip about la poste  and leclerc -

Its funny but i did think leclecrc was  a likely contender - but searched amonst the photo boots to no avail - and have certainly never heard the distinctive clunking sound.  Do  they all have them  ? - we shop at Challon in the Vendee

I dont know where it all comes from -  but my purse is very small and I use my plastic a lot .

If I think about it I sometimes take a plastic bag of copper for the market ladies to have a rootle through when I go to the market or hand my purse over  - !  but our one will be back to twice a week when we get back .

• 2 weeks later...
Update on this -

My daughter has just returned from a month at our place in the vendee and seemingly we dont have a problem anymore as she has spent most of it at least all the gold colour stuff .

Solution  -pay cash at supermarket and go through self pay -self serve checkout and pay by puttting lots of coins in their machine .

Seemingly in the Uk there are prototype machines being tested in some stores with a shute !!!! .