Muscovado Sugar

Mac

I need light and dark muscovado suger but I can't find it in any of the supermarkets I've looked in. Is it available in France or is it one of those things I shall have to ask visitors to fetch with them?

Some receipes just aren't the same with ordinary brown sugar.

Bought my first lot ever a few weeks ago in the UK. I just used to use whatever brown sugar I could find in France and never had a problem.

What is so different about this lot I have bought? I haven't noticed anything special about it.

[quote user="idun"]

What is so different about this lot I have bought? I haven't noticed anything special about it.

[/quote]

"Natural brown sugar, or raw sugar is a brown sugar produced from the first crystallization of the sugar cane. There is more molasses in natural brown sugar, giving it a higher mineral content. Some natural brown sugars have particular names and characteristics, and are sold as Turbinado, Muscovado, or Demerara sugar."

That's all.........................

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Lucky you with the rhubarb crumble, I think that I have recently developed an allergy to rhubarb, I'll miss it. If I cannot have things, I give them up. It'll be the same with sugar if I can no longer have that. But whilst I can have things, I go for a little of what I fancy.[:D]

[quote user="Mac"]I need light and dark muscovado suger but I can't find it in any of the supermarkets I've looked in. Is it available in France or is it one of those things I shall have to ask visitors to fetch with them?

Some receipes just aren't the same with ordinary brown sugar.[/quote]

I have bought some from Leclerc before.

It is sold in the "Produits de Commerce Ethiquable" and comes in a resealable plastic pouch, all the way from Peru!

I have also bought some from my local bio shop and it is called Sucre Rapadura or Sucre de canne complet. It is sold pre-packed, but I prefer to buy it loose and transfer it in the resealable pouch from above... [:)]

The difference between this sugar and others is quite noticeable when baking, as it gives a pronounced liquorice taste to dark fruit cakes and spiced cakes like ginger cake or pain d'épices. (more details here).

[quote user="idun"]Thankyou. I didn't know that, I'll try it.[/quote]

Been checking figures for Brazil vis-à-vis sugar and ethanol; cane sugar is cheaper. The EU situation is affected by subsidies and import duties to european farmers, inflating the price of imported sugar. Sorry to mislead .

• 2 weeks later...
Only just seen this thread. In our local Super U supermarket I can get (with all the other sugars) 'Sucre Vergeoise Blonde' and 'Sucre Vergeoise Brune', the Brune is the dark Muscovado, the Blonde the light variety.

Thanks for all the help. I have managed to get something that looks like muscovado and will act like it I hope. Some of the stickier cakes e.g. gingerbreads just aren't the same without it.