Table Cloths

idun

Something I have never found in the UK, but I think is wonderful and that is nappe en coton et polyester enduit traitée antitaches. Not quite table linen, but far far nicer than oil cloths that seemed so popular amoungst french friends.  A table cloth for everyday and even for guests when a meal is entre amis, then these are superb.

Has anyone mentioned these before. They can be left on the table and just wipe over after use, spillages are not a problem either.

Certainly the 3Suisses sell them and probably other catalogues too.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

I vaguely remember seeing tablecloths decades ago when I was very young.

Seriously, how many people use them nowadays? Most people seem to like showing off the veneer - or even solid wood - of their oak or walnut or pine furniture.

[/quote]

In France I don't know of anyone who didn't use table cloths, and often the plastic ones when we we visited. Even one of our BCBG friends always had a table cloth.

[quote user="idun"]...nappe en coton et polyester enduit traitée antitaches.   [/quote]

I've sat at tables covered with them and think they feel unpleasant, rather naff and somehow worse than the oiled cotton which seems more honest about what it is. I'm reasonably certain I've used table "napkins" at a restaurant made out of the same fabric*. Not nice at all.

ETA:

* thinking further, the napkins were a sort of nylon and not the same as the table covering but obviously produced to match the table fabric and to be easy wash / no iron.

[quote user="idun"][quote user="Clarkkent"]

I vaguely remember seeing tablecloths decades ago when I was very young.

Seriously, how many people use them nowadays? Most people seem to like showing off the veneer - or even solid wood - of their oak or walnut or pine furniture.

[/quote]

In France I don't know of anyone who didn't use table cloths, and often the plastic ones when we we visited. Even one of our BCBG friends always had a table cloth.

[/quote]

Obviously a "lack of culture thing".

In france even the the basic club/association meal will have disposable table cloths.

Even at a carboot one will see simple trestles and boards with a cover.

But then again a short walk along Oxford Street over a pavement covered in chewing gum, fag-ends and assorted rubbish suggests that I am wasting my time posting on this thread.

I use a polyester tablecloth these days that I got a couple of from La Foire Fouille and they are pretty stain resistant and you can just wipe them over with a damp cloth and they don't stay wet. We always had the plastic covering with various designs etc but found that the table corners began to wear through very quickly and the cats, well, they love to dig in their claws so it often ripped the cloth to shreds.They don't do it with the polyester ones. I do advise though, to have a good under cover such as supplied by Boulgoumme that you see on rolls which is rubberised and protects your table against everything being waterproof and makes a nice thick top under the cloth which also keeps it in place as well.

[quote user="Russethouse"]I have oilcloth on my table, either red and white or blue and white, I do have clothes in the fabric you mention, bought in a French market......they are OK but a little stiff, and wouldn't protect my table against spills the way oilcloth does.[/quote]

As Val2 said, we have a proper boulgomme table protector underneath, but these do protect against spills. Red wine doesn't got through and just a swipe and it is gone. I have had oil cloths and rolled out pastry on them, but I cannot do that on these.

LOL PPP, chewing gum and litter? as opposed to crotte de chien that one has to dance around, in Annecy, Chambery, Grenoble and Lyons and even in Geneva the last time I was there, as I thought that dog dirt would have been a firing squad offence in Geneve!

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="Russethouse"]...I do have clothes in the fabric you mention, bought in a French market......[/quote]
Cloths, surely RH, cloths !!! [:-))]

[kiss]
[/quote]

So now, I'll know that, when times are hard, I could perhaps cut up an old dress or skirt and use that on the table?

Shouldn't you put this on the ex-pat savings section, Catalpa?[I]

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="Russethouse"]...I do have clothes in the fabric you mention, bought in a French market......[/quote]

[kiss]
[/quote]

Sorry !

The cloths are pretty but we have a table that expands from a 4 seater to a 10 seater, not only was it reasonably expensive but it took me an age to source...... it has proper table protector cut to fit in all its size options, which is to protect it from heat damage I'm sticking with oilcloth, no cats and its a round table so no corners !

I might use those for special meals, Idun, but if I left one on my table all day the cats would destroy it - which they can't the oil cloth.  I usually use a traditional cotton one when I have guests.  You got me thinking though as mine(oil cloth)  is quite old  - they're now £40-odd on Amazon!  There are some lovely William Morris ones though.[:P]

Our cat is fine with our cloth.

The new carpets, well, should they have a mohair look in places, like a 100 different places?[:-))] Every single stair step has been scratched on, next to every door on both sides and then as many other places as he fancies having a go at. If you have cats, then cats will scratch. I'm not the sort to get upset about it.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[kiss]

[/quote]

Sorry ![/quote]

[:D] Well, certainly around here, the clothes in the markets are mostly in a timeless polyester check or that trusty perennial: an animal print in a pretty, luminous, soft-to-the-touch nylon (though I've never seen a leopard with spots encrusted in glitter) so I thought perhaps the stall-holders had moved into the 21st century with poly-cotton pre-treated with enduit. I was busy imagining the marketing tie-ins: swirly skirts in a wipe clean fabric - buy one get a packet of Tena-Lady free. [:P]

I looked on Amazon for the oilcloth, Coops - I really like the red polkadot and may have to buy one to cheer up the winter kitchen. But I like this too.

I have 5 cats and they don't trash tablecloths. They sleep on them... but they don't damage them. Though they do have a tendency to wage war on curtains.

It's not that they trash them but if a cat grabs the edge of a cloth cloth (if you get my drift), then their claws stick and the lot comes off, or at least moves.  The oilcloth (a good quality one, anyway), doesn't budge.  As I have an open plan house I can't keep them away from the table so I have to do what I can to protect it.  The legs on the other hand are very cat-worn - but it is 200 years old.

I can recommend something like this if you use them frequently ..

http://www.3suisses.fr/FrontOfficePortail/catalogue_fra/linge-de-maison/nappe-linge-de-table/nappes/nappe-froissee-athena-nydel-midi/61460-nappe-froissee-athena-nydel-midi.html

It is a thin cloth that washes easily and does not need ironing... we have the same material for napkins too...

p.s. not participially  this one or from 3suisse... i get mine from vega.fr