Marsala wine

crossy67

crossy67 wrote the following post at 15/10/2011 15:01:

I am finding Marsala wine a bit hard to get hold of, any one got any alternatives.  I want it sweet and white, I use it for a desert.  I was thinking a Muscat what do you lot think?

I have used it  a small amount in a sauce of orange juice and chicken stock over spare ribs of pork .   Come on....  Now you have to tell us what the desert is  !

The desert is a bit special.  Its spiced figs in Marsala wine syrup with mascarpone cheese.

Marinade the dried figs for at least 6 hours in marsala wine with a drop of Stroh, if you can find it it's 80% alcohol and as such most of it boils off but it's taste is quite distinctively rum and resin and it makes a world of difference.  Quarter the dried figs and leave to soak in enough wine to cover them, add a drop of Stroh and about a desert spoon of brown sugar per portion.  To this add a good pinch of freshly ground nutmeg, pinch of ground cloves, a few mace blades, a pinch of all spice and plenty of cinnamon.

When you want it put it in a pan and bring to the boil, do not smoke, all that alcohol burns like hell, literally.  Boil stirring continuously until the syrup starts to thicken, if you get it just right it will become almost gelatinous like soaked gelatine.  Gooey!  The figs will give their sugars to the syrup and become sweet and chewy, their seeds make the syrup look lovely ane are crunchy in the syrup.

Pour over the mascarpone and enjoy.

I use about 4 figs per person, it's quite filling.  I did try expensive muscovado sugar once but I found it over powered the dish a bit and made it taste a bit treacley.  Perfect for cold winter nights.

Enjoy :-)

[quote user="idun"]

The only xeres I found in France was vinaigre de xeres. Where on earth do you get it in most of France?

I realise that you said 'from Spain', but that was never an option for me, far to far away.

[/quote]

From the local Leclerc but a lot more porto available.

[:D] You must live a  lot closer to Spain than I did, I was close to Switzeraland and Italy.

I didn't know of one french person who knew what sherry was, and one woman swore that Port was from Spain, no convincing her that Port sounded a bit like Portugal and that was where it was from, apparently 'I' had it all wrong. Silly me, making such a mistake.

[quote user="crossy67"]I did think of a white Pinot, easily available and not a million miles away from a sherry.
[/quote]

The mind boggles...look mate you spelt it wrong...it's Pineau not Pineau....if your Aubeterre lies on the Dronne and your budget stretches then a Pineau Vieux or très vieux is the mustard.

pineau de charentes[;-)]

Edit: Please change one pineau to pinot.

[:)][quote user="idun"]

[:D] You must live a  lot closer to Spain than I did, I was close to Switzeraland and Italy.

I didn't know of one french person who knew what sherry was, and one woman swore that Port was from Spain, no convincing her that Port sounded a bit like Portugal and that was where it was from, apparently 'I' had it all wrong. Silly me, making such a mistake.

[/quote]

A thriving portugoose community in deux-chèvres, the association in Parthenay does fado dinner dances.

If one is looking for a bird with a moustache, just the ticket.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Frankly amongst the fortified wines Marsala is the pits, only fit for a cheap desert like zabliogne.

Why not use a decent sherry from spain.

Using a wine that tastes like figs to flavour figs reminds me of being constipated and medicating with syrup of figs.[:P]

[/quote]

But, Pacha, in the UK, marsala is a lot dearer than sherry!

I never use it for making desserts but, in those far off days (pre France), someone told me to put a drop in gravy and, would you know, it does something wonderful to the gravy, gives it a smooth, rich taste but you can't really tell what's different about it.

It was one of my "secret" ingredients much like my No 7 wood which used to get the ball flying out of long grass to my own amazement as well as everyone else's; that was termed my "secret weapon".

[quote user="crossy67"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="crossy67"]I did think of a white Pinot, easily available and not a million miles away from a sherry.
[/quote]

Edit: Please change one pineau to pinot.[/quote]

Don't know what you mean?[Www]
[/quote]

I wrote...it's Pineau not Pineau[:D]