Advice Needed - A Very Noisy Neighbour

piplusone

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="Frederick"]I think I would be trying an official sounding letter from a local law firm full of "What might happen to you's  if you dont pack it " in about now ![/quote]
I would have thought that the procedure advised by the Interior Ministry that I quoted above might be a good idea, since we are in France.

Make a statement of facts to the Gendarmarie or a Huissier  and ask them to witness it for themselves
Send an injunction by registered letter

If there is no change, you can either go to the Civil court and demand damages or go make a complaint to the Gendarmarie for délit d'agression sonore

But then, what do I know...

What you really need is  useful comments such as :

"I am so sorry you have a real problem on your hands"

"Perhaps you may be able to report that your evil neighbour has mysteriously died (of natural causes of course)"

or even less useful
"Norman I would hate to live in a World where you were King."

[/quote]

So your comment of 'Sell up and move' was??????

[quote user="Swissie"]Sadly, somehow, Piplusone seems to have given up on us. Bonne chance and hope you come back to talk to us. xx
[/quote]

This often happens when the replies given are not the answers wanted.

nectarine and Norman are right, even if the OP wins the skirmish or even the battle he will not win the war. Better to accept reality and try to move on.

John

[quote user="Gardian"]

You can't let these sort of people get you down and nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag at the Mairie for resolution of the problem. Every Saturday morning at precisely the same time (or whenever you know that your Maire is in situ), so that he / she begins to expect that you'll be round. In short, make yourself, as big if not a greater a nuisance to the Mairie, as this ***hole is to you. It'll be tiresome & time-consuming, but better than the cost of selling-up.

Don't give in - fight. 

p.s. there are laws, but don't hold your breath + expensive to take to Court  

[/quote]

I do understand that it's easy / pragmatic to give in, but its expensive to move & probably not what most of us, incl the OP, want to do.

Where is the OP?  So many people on here try their best to give unbiased objective advice (differing approaches, obviously - that's to be expected) and then ..................... sfa.

I'll say no more.  

• 5 months later...
Very many thanks to all of you who replied to my post,. Sorry I've not got back with a progress report. Embarrassingly we have tried the "head in sand approach" over the last few months as the noise problem has been dominating the quality of our lives and affecting our health. A policy of closed doors and trips out when the music got too bad worked for a while. However it's not a solution and thing have got worse. For nearly all August we’ve suffered music with that insidious base beat that invades your head and remains there long after the source has stopped - not dissimilar I suspect to tinnitus. Yesterday we were treated to 17 nonstop hours of music and metal fabrication noise. The music was eventually turned off at 02H05. I spoke to him at 00H10 but was set upon by him and another man. The other man knocked me to the floor while my neighbor kicked me. I didn’t help as I lost my temper under his immediate verbal abuse and pushed him. No real injury to any party but we’re sick of being victim’s.

We’re going to start with a registered letter to the mayor. Because the noise source is an industrial unit/garage we understand the mayor is responsible for dealing with any problems. Next a "Porte Plainte" to the Gendarmes. Does anyone know if we can we send a registered letter to the Gendarmes headed “Porte Plainte” and detailing the problem as our French is not good? I’ll report back soon

[quote user="piplusone"] The other man knocked me to the floor while my neighbor kicked me. I didn’t help as I lost my temper under his immediate verbal abuse and pushed him.[/quote]

but that is assault, you should have called the Gendarmes immediately or should have been knocking on their door first thing the following morning to make a complaint and press for charges. Do you have a local french friend who could help you? I think you have passed writing letters if it has come to this

Good luck

Tim