Offal

Gardian

[quote user="idun"]You can get mace, I use it in sausage and pork pie. Have bought it in France too, but it was always more easily available in the UK. It is called macis in french and is the kernel of the muscade (nutmeg).

[/quote]

Id, I have always understood that mace is the lacey red covering of the nutmeg and that muscade is the kernel of the nutmeg.

Mace is stronger tasting than nutmeg and I only like it in minute quantities.

I remember having a meal in Vietnam with some Chinese colleagues, and a plate of various pieces of meat-like stuff kept revolving round the table.

Anyone seen that HSBC advert where the polite Englishman keeps cleaning his plate, and his Chinese hosts keep ordering more (and bigger) snakes to be cooked for him?

I was blissfully unaware of this slight mismatch between Chinese and English culture, and kept cleaning my plate, which was promptly replenished by one of my colleagues.

I'm not a fussy eate, but it appeared I was eating a substance similar to meat-flavoured chewing gum. However much I chewed, it wouldn't go away. So I asked my table neighbour what was actually on the plate

"it's what I call 'spare parts' " he replied...and informed me that I was currently chewing on a pig's ear. Many of the other less common bits were on there as well.....

LOL mint, I am useless at gardening and plants, ie just managed to kill off a potted plant someone gave me two weeks ago.

Let me start again, nutmeg and mace are all from the same thing[Www]..... some sort of 'nut', or 'seed' or something like that, a hard bit........[:D]

And both delicious[:D]

It's Offal, but I like it ...BOOM BOOM!

I love liver in various forms from the 'salade de foie de volaille' to the smoked "foie de morue" (smoked cod's livers) : I often have lightly fried 'foie de veau' as a main course on a Sunday.

Giblets can be made up into a 'salmi' I had pintade done in this way at midday, with the guinea-fowl cooked in red wine then the giblets and and onion crushed into the sauce to thicken it.

A "Salade de gésiers" is very tasty as is a salade de museau'

http://charlottopoire.blogourt.fr/890727/Salade-de-museau-de-boeuf/

"Rognons" in a mustard sauce  and 'ris de veau' (calf''s sweetbreads) are both regulars on my café's menus.

"Os à Moèlle" (marrowbone) and "fromage de tête"  a sort of chunky meat jelly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese#/media/File:S%C3%BClze001.jpg

which I would call 'brawn' but I have seen the hilarious (and disgusting if you have a dirty mind) translation of it as 'Head Cheese" [:-))]

Well, I think that in general it is offally good.

I was brought up in a household where kidneys and liver were common items on the menu and it was not unusual to have tripe and onions. Only had andouillettes(spelling?) once and I was not over impressed. Perhaps it is an acquired taste.

However Mrs Rabbie is not an offal fan. She delights in pointing out to me what kidneys produce and that the liver removes toxins from the blood. Chacun a son gout

Rabbie ........

So, what about the dreaded Haggis?

In my much younger years, I used to go to Glasgow on business every fortnight for a couple of days. It was always on the menu in the canteen at lunchtime & it was quite nice. Well, nice-ish.

At 5-ish, we used to head for the on-site bar, where my on site colleague's regular tipple was "A wee half and a half". You'll know what that was! He'd shift a few of those!

[quote user="Gardian"]Rabbie ........

So, what about the dreaded Haggis?

In my much younger years, I used to go to Glasgow on business every fortnight for a couple of days. It was always on the menu in the canteen at lunchtime & it was quite nice. Well, nice-ish.

At 5-ish, we used to head for the on-site bar, where my on site colleague's regular tipple was "A wee half and a half". You'll know what that was! He'd shift a few of those![/quote] I really like haggis provided it is cooked properly and served with mashed potatoes and turnips. In fact it is the only offal based food the Mrs Rabbie enjoys.

In my part of Scotland it was always  "a half and a half" with no wee. Brings back memories of my youth.[:)].

[quote user="Pommier"]

Don't tell me they serve it with wee in some parts of Scotland..................![/quote]

If they did, Pommier, you'd never know it.  Have you looked at how many percentage proof some of the whiskies are up there?[:-))]

Edit:  can't remember whether you need an "e" when the whisky is scotch[:(]

Merci, GG, with my early (maybe not so early) stages of dementia, that's the sort of stuff I can"t remember.

Today, I was trying hard to remember the name of our local restaurant, and I just couldn't.  I kept pointing to the direction where it is and OH asked why are you pointing over there?  Eventually, I said, well, that's where our local resto is!

Maybe it's to do with what language I am supposed to be speaking and then, as neither English nor French is my first language (though English is counted as my "mother tongue" in university), I can now quite often not be able to rely on whatever word or phrase it is that immediately comes to mind![:'(]

PS but the plural of whisky or whiskey is still whiskies, as I have written in my previous post, non?[:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Pommier"]If it's Irish then it's whiskey, but Scottish is whisky - not sure about Japanese etc![/quote]

And whiskey for anybody else's.  It's only whisky for scotch.  See, I DO remember given time and for the effects of the WHISKY to wear off, lol!

[quote user="Pommier"][quote user="Rabbie"]

In my part of Scotland it was always  "a half and a half" with no wee. Brings back memories of my youth.[:)].

[/quote]

Don't tell me they serve it with wee in some parts of Scotland..................![/quote]As I said not in my home area but who knows what they might serve in Glasgow to unsuspecting Englishmen[:D].

Seriously a half in Scotland is a fifth of a gill as opposed to a single in England which is a sixth which means an english double is less than a Scottish single[:)].