Those damned "real" French and their superior culinary tastes.

YCCMB

So, I was casually browsing Facebook, which, I fully appreciate, holds a position akin to the Daily Mail according to some forum contributors, but that's another story.

Aaaaanyway, the adverts which now seem to have become an increasingly prominent feature of FB, threw me this, as a "suggested post" which is facebookspeak for an advert:

www.frenchclick.co.uk

Now, out of interest, I followed the link, which promised "a large selection of fine French groceries delivered across the UK". This, in complete contrast to the accompanying photograph, which showed, among other "Fine French groceries", the following:

Bordeau Chesnel rillettes

BN biscuits

Tessier sirop

Bonne Maman jam

And something that looks like a tube of that Marie Rose cream for mozzie bites that doesn't work.

Oh, and a Nestlé thing called "Chokella" which might be some sort of auto-erotic breakfast product if the name is anything to go by.

Anyway, thus far the gourmet credentials of this offering seemed somewhat tenuous, but I ploughed through the comments, hoping to find dozens of irate French people living in the UK, complaining that this was a dreadful indictment, a cruel pastiche, and that, if you move to another country, you should adapt to their produce and cuisine, or at least ensure that Frenchclick UK stuck to hourly imports of baguettes and a regular supply of foie gras.

What, dear reader, did I find? Well. I'll tell you. And I am no Miss Marple, but I'm guessing that these comments on Facebook were written by Real French People residing in the UK. Either that, or there are more people in Essex and Cumbria giving their children French names that anyone knew.

Examples...

"Any compote or 3 minute pasta?"

"There is no point to go back to France now (sic) . Everything is here"

"That's be great if you have rosti (not frozen ones) Save me from bringing them back every time I go to France.

"Just placed my first order. Can't wait for my galette des rois"

"You saved me when my son wanted to drink only Bledidej.."

So, m'lud...if anyone has any objection to migrants to other countries importing, by whatever means, their foodstuffs of choice from their country of origin, it would seem that

A)everyone does it, and

B) there's no accounting for taste.

Must admit that I have looked at these online french shops in the UK and have been surprised by some of the stuff they sell and have wondered why anyone would order such things.

I do miss some things from France, but have never found what I wanted to order at a price that I was prepared to pay............radin-moi[Www]

YccmB wrote : So, m'lud...if anyone has any objection to migrants to other countries importing, by whatever means, their foodstuffs of choice from their country of origin, it would seem that

A)everyone does it, and

B) there's no accounting for taste.

After more than half a century living in my birth country and 12 years living here I can cheerfully say that very little surprises me these days.

So, some French living in the UK behave in a very similar manner to how some UK leavers behave here in their adopted country ... nothing surprising there then.

Perhaps it would be more surprising if they didn't.

Sorry Betty it sounds as though I am criticising your post, far from it.

Sue

Many years ago the French had the contract to staff and train Libyan Arab Airlines which necessitated a load of families being based in Libya (in this case Benghazi). There were daily flights to Paris (amongst other places) which brought over everything they needed, even the daily baguettes. So not so strange.

Most never tasted fresh Arabic bread still hot from the oven, one of the finest tastes in the world.

I saw this site 2-3 years ago I think when they first started. I see it is still not updated in French. LOL

I guess all the UK vans delivering to France were returning empty so some Einstein came up with the idea of offering a French food service to the UK.

I guess the UK vans go out to Eymet to deliver them their bacon sarnies and angel delight and then stop off at carrefour (probably in Eymet) for a reload back to the UK.

From what I have seen most reviews are by English numbties who buy French food in order to impress their neighbours I guess. But the reviews are not that good.

Looking at the prices I can't imagine many French paying 4 euros more for a Charal beefsteak. Also, it is not a very pro website. Looks very dodgy.

I find that hard to believe.

The thing about wine is that it is very heavy. A pallet of wine weighs 800 - 1000 kg so there is a limit how much you can carry on a van. Maybe two pallets ???

Now, when we doing the wine runs in France on an artic we were only getting 50-100 euros a pallet back to London. Which is great on an artic but rubbish in a van.

So how does he make money ?

From what I have seen most reviews are by English numbties who buy French food in order to impress their neighbours I guess

I didn't look at the site but the reviews Betty repeated led me to that conclusion.

In my poorest years every UK trip to buy materials I would take stuff from France to sell in the UK and bring back the 99p loft insulation and Makita battery drills etc to sell in France.

My best result was selling some genuine Chinese Laguiole cutlery sets on Ebayuk, they were tat from Amazon that wasn't good enough to use in the apartments, and believe me the bar is not set high [:D] the listing said that they were bought from a Boutique in Paris which is what the Amazon seller called themselves and my reason for sale was that they were too desirable and being stolen from the apartments (teaspoons always walk!).

There was a frenzied bidding war and most went to trendy addresses in London, I got great feedback one woman saying how impressed her dinner party guests and neighbours were [:D][:D]

As I said above, there are an inordinate number of positive reviews on Facebook from French people. Unless, of course, they're British people who have changed their names to French ones by deed poll to impress their friends.....

The reviews I cited above were all from people with French names.

Google reviews...

https://www.google.fr/search?q=french+click&oq=french+click&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2j0l3.3903j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x4876045572971e65:0xcb5a4e83afb102bf,1,

The minority of French there names are made up.

Penelope rose (ROFL) loves the service. She can have French dinner parties to impress her fake friends. She says the food is delicious.

Now why don't the Wayne and Waynetta's living in Eymet find French delicious ?

Google reviews...

https://www.google.fr/search?q=french+click&oq=french+click&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2j0l3.3903j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x4876045572971e65:0xcb5a4e83afb102bf,1,

The minority of French names there are made up.

Penelope rose (ROFL) loves the service. She can have French dinner parties to impress her fake friends. She says the food is delicious.

Now why don't the Wayne and Waynetta's living in Eymet find French food delicious ?

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I find that hard to believe.

The thing about wine is that it is very heavy. A pallet of wine weighs 800 - 1000 kg so there is a limit how much you can carry on a van. Maybe two pallets ???

Now, when we doing the wine runs in France on an artic we were only getting 50-100 euros a pallet back to London. Which is great on an artic but rubbish in a van.

So how does he make money ?[/quote]

It's not a van, it's a bloody big lorry. He brings all sorts of things down as well as Tesco deliveries. I guess he makes his money the same way any other lorry driver does.

Well that makes sense then.

What is worrying though, what are the numbties in Eymet buying apart from food in the UK that requires an large lorry/artic. He can't be bring down an artics worth of food with him ??....can he ???

Chancer, you have been to Eymet. Are all the British down there half cooked or something ?

https://www.mescoursesenfrance.com/fr/content/12-livraison-de-produits-francais-pour-les-expatries-en-europe

http://www.mondizen.com/fr/

http://www.mon-epicerie-francaise.com/

http://www.france-export-fv.com/

http://www.coursesenfrance.com/Table/Produits-francais-livres-a-l-etranger/

http://www.nouvelle-epicerie.fr/fr/

Nope, it's not happening, they're all Brits with pretentions, I've made it all up....?

Just looked at the Google reviews whch possibly because I am in France had been Google translated to French, reading the original text it does seem somewhat odd that so many reviewers with French names chose to leave their review in English, and perfect English at that so that Google has to translate it for new French customers, there were a few genuine ones where the syntax used showed that they were French but bi or multi-lingual.

Agreed that it seems aimed at English social climbers.

Do I try and 'please' my UK friends with french cooking........ you betchya I do.

And it was the same in France for french friends with my british cooking.

However, I try and thrill my guests with all my cooking from any country that which I can make well...... so it is ecelectic too[:D]

Nothing wrong with that, giving people the chance to taste new things.

I was brought up on good but very very basic english food. I was frightened of trying anything forren. In some ways I am still fussy, as there are some things that I still cannot get away with. I am not saying I couldn't eat them....... apart from trip and andouillette which makes me literally automatically 'heave'. The rest, I just do not like, some things I make, but unless a friend serves me with whatever it is, would not eat whatever it is by choice.

And some things like BN biscuits for example, not only dry, but 'fad' IMO, are just printed into our eating memory, a fond memory from childhood.... there can be bad ones too. I won't knock people for buying some things, but why anyone british would buy some things is beyond me...... all I can think of it is a fond memory of childhood holidays in France..........perhaps??????

PD, ALBF suffers from some sort of cultural dimorphism which involves rejecting and then slagging off one's home cultural so as to feel more at home in the second or adopted one.

A not uncommon condition amongst expats though perhaps rarer in immigrants.

Secretly, he would like to live in Eymet or nearby and join in all the Brtiish originated activities there.

By the way PD, where have you been hiding all these months? Not many posts.

@ Wolley, it is a good job you just became a phyco and not a phyco therapist as you would have been rubbish at it.

@ PD, when I first joined French forums everyone ganged up on me. They said I was a troll because I said once that I did not know so many British lived in the Dordogne and that I had never heard of Eymet. Which was true. Even though I moved in 97 and really had no idea. I was a bit late joining the forum party in my defense. I did not know that chip vans existed, or UK food vans existed and that British people who moved to France had no idea how to paint. One person from Eymet was very gun-ho, rude and I really did not like their attitude. Someone said, don't worry they all like that down there !!!! So yeah, stuff en. They will be the butt of my jokes until I get bored.