Holding Out For A Hero.......

frexpt

Many thanks for the suggestions, I don't think either of us have read these.  Incidentally, I was half expecting a response from you, as I had searched the forum before posting and found a previous reference to Reacher by you back in 2009.........[:D]

You can't beat Rebus. And unlike many authors who go off the boil, Rankin's last two were the best of the bunch. Michael Connolly excellent too.

I've just downloaded a couple of Stephen Leather's too. I had never heard of him and IMHO he can't compare with Rankin, but i enjoyed them. The hero is ex SAS.

Peter Robinson good although his characters and storylines cannot be compared with the heroic and completely marvellous Reacher!!

[quote user="virginia.c"]You can't beat Rebus. And unlike many authors who go off the boil, Rankin's last two were the best of the bunch. [/quote]

I started reading the Rebus novels when we moved to Scotland and agree that the series got better and better.  Not so sure, thoiugh, that the post-Rebus work holds up as well.......

[quote user="woolybanana"]Yes, I have read them all except for the last one which my daughter stole before I could get to it![/quote]

Die Trying ?

What dissapointed me slightly was the lack of depth of the explanation as to how he escaped from where he was left  in the book before [8-)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Yes, I have read them all except for the last one which my daughter stole before I could get to it![/quote]

Die Trying ?

What dissapointed me slightly was the lack of depth of the explanation as to how he escaped from where he was left  in the book before [8-)]

[/quote]

Just finishing 61 Hours and think follow on is Worth Dying For?  Is that the one you mean?  Die Trying, if I recall, involves the claustrophobic crawl through the tunnel.........hated it!!

Well i'm stumped.... Am v jealous of CJ who is new to Rebus. I just wish another writer of Rankin's calibre would pop up from somewhere with a series already written. I would take myself off somewhere peaceful and not move for several weeks!

Clare Francis was never prolific but she wrote 2 or 3 good thrillers. As a teenager i was enthralled by early Gavin Lyall and Victor Canning, then Desmond Bagley. We will never see their like again, more's the pity.

Do agree with the comments about Rankin's new series, The Complaints etc. Just not quite got it have they?

Peter James writes pretty good detective books - I especially enjoyed the first one I read called Dead Simple.

Mark Billingham's books aren't bad either - I much prefer UK based stories as I find it hard to relate to American stories.

I'm a bit bored with detective stories as the moment and have been looking out for stuff that's a bit different. Lately I've really enjoyed Life of Pi, Sister, Child 44 and Birdsong.

The Richard & Judy booklist is a good way of chosing books that are a bit different.

virginia c.

Wifey has just finished one of the Jacquot series by Martin O'Brien, there are 4 in the series I think. She praised this one very highly and is now determined to get all the others. The series is about a Detective in Provence.

John Harvey, crime novels featuring DI Charlie Resnick set in Nottingham.

Brian (again)

Can Jack Reacher really exist on just a fold up toothbrush and not much else - except enough money to buy new clothes every couple of days? (Must have got used to flying with Ryanair perhaps?)

Hello to Everyone,

I've just joined the forum and have been interested in your discussion. I know I'm late catching up with them, but I've recently read the Inspector Brunetti books of Donna Leon, (written in the 90s, most of them). They are set in Venice, are wonderfully atmospheric and the hero is a happily married, family man. Yet the books have their whiff or even total stink of corruption and are full of murders of convenience. They are a great read, there are over 20 of them if you become addicted, as I did, and Leon writes so well. go for it, I'd say!

A new author to me and recommended by, among others, Lee Child, is Rick Mofina, whose character is a young investigative journalist working in the Seattle area. I've just finish the first and about to start another. Good stuff.

I would second the recommendation of the Brunetti novels by Donna Leon having also read them all. The books are very popular in Germany and most of the novels have been filmed for German television and are shown regularly on Das Erste - beautiful location scenes in Venice and well cast actors, especially Uwe Kockisch as Brunetti. I believe they have also been transmitted on FR3 some time ago but would hope they might be reshown again sometime. Sadly I don't think they will make it to British tv as they are in a foreign language and it's much easier to fill the schedules with series imported from the US. Oddly I read somewhere that Donna Leon's books have never been translated into Italian.

http://programmes.france3.fr/commissaire-brunetti/index.php?page=article&numsite=5597&id_rubrique=5606&id_article=17129

Brian (again)

Edit; Donna Leon's Blood from a Stone will be shown on ARD on 12 Feb at 2015 if you can get German TV

I'm glad to know of someone else who has enjoyed Brunetti, Thanks for the info. My German is pretty rusty, so I'm not sure how much I'd get out of the TV series, on the other hand I've read the book...... I'll have to find out if I can get ARD.

I read too that Leon's books were not translated into Italian. She'd be pretty unpopular in Venice where she lives or probably a victim of the people she writes about. With all that stuff about the Italian president going on just now, you know exactly what she's talking about. Are the Italians just too lethargic to care?