Kindle - Wow!

Simon-the-censored

All the books purchased are also stored in your Amazon account, so if you drive over the kindle with a tank and need to buy a new one, you can download the books again that you have paid for.

As for the batteries, if Amazon don't offer replacements then you can bet that you will be able to get them on ebay.

Edit: missed your last sentence.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cathy - depends if you normally like reading in the dark! Otherwise it's just like a book.

By the way - it sounds from the price as if you're buying the basic WiFi only Kindle - i.e. the one without 3G, internet access, mp3 player etc. That's great if you have a good Wifi signal - just checking you've thought it through.....if you just want a book reader it's perfect (so long as you have that wifi network).

Both models of come with a USB cable which acts as a charger when plugged in to your pc.

Simon :-)

Thank you Simon.  I have a Wifi connection at home - would this be all right.  What is 3G (other than the name of my form at school - that was III G)?

As you are online, a myriad of questions.  Does the MP3 player come on the basic model?  What does an MP3 player do exactly?

I am confused about the post that said that you need to register it with a UK address.  My billing address is in France.  I am getting it delivered to a friend that I know in the UK.  Will this be a problem when I want to buy books?

I have the order on the screen and am hovering over the send order button.....

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"]Both models of come with a USB cable which acts as a charger when plugged in to your pc.

Simon :-)[/quote]

Do I understand it right that if you don't have access to a PC, you need the mains adapter for charging it in a socket?

Cathy

A home Wifi connection is fine - the Kindle will automatically pick it up (if it's turned on!).

3G is a fast mobile phone (and data) network. The slower ones are known as Edge and GPRS (the slowest) - but all work with the Kindle 3 (more expensive one).

No MP3 player on the basic model I'm afraid. An MP3 player stores music files in an MP3 format - i.e. the ones you can download. So - it means you can listen to music through the Kindle's headphone socket or speakers.

Should be fine having it delivered to a UK address. When you get it you just need to register it on-line with Amazon (under 'Manage my Kindle') and assign your country as the UK. That's what I did.

You'll obviously need the charger if you don't have access to a USB port on a PC.

Simon - You are a star.  THANK YOU SO MUCH.  [kiss]

It is about to be ordered with a Powder Blue leather wallet.  It's VERY important to get the colour right (as JustJohn knows).  The Burgundy red didn't appeal as it should be Bordeaux red [Www] and the Apple Green didn't grab me as I like my apples red [:$].

I am having so much fun today.  I even spoke to Rose on the telephone for the first time [:D] ....

Cathy, I had an Amazon problem today and ticked the box for them to phone me which they did immediatley. The girl/lady was very helpful and in conversation told me that they have a Kindle support team.....if you have any problems.

I want one for my upcoming birthday and intend getting the case with a light, not sure whether to have pink or red [:)]

Hope you have many happy hours lost in your Kindle, Cathy.

My OH bought my Kindle for me for Christmas along with a black cover, without light; that was what John Lewis had in stock. I think a light might be very useful at times, but haven't needed one yet. I saw somebody with one in a red cover over Christmas and thought it looked rather dashing, but I don't think I'd be very good with a powder blue one. The black one has disadvantages for me as it gets lost when in my big black bag - but as I also lose my black purse, black gloves and black specs case in there too, it's in good company!  [:D] 

My Kindle is a 3G, which doesn't mean a lot to me, so I found Simon's post useful too.

One tip, I didn't switch the internet connection off at first, so it got low on battery quite quickly; I hadn't realised that it needed switching off if not being used. If it's switched off the battery lasts for ages.

Edit; I suppose that tip is only useful if you get the 3G one, Cathy!

So, to just to be sure - I can order Kindle for delivery to me in France (only possible via Amazon.com) and 'register' my country as UK. This enables a UK focused choice of books etc, payable in £ rather than $. Is there any possibility of paying in € that you know of.

Thanks in anticipation.

CCBC65 in the sunny Pyrenees

Hi CB65 - don't know is the answer to your question - not tried it, maybe someone else has?

I had mine delivered to a UK address using my Amazon.co.uk account details. This account has my own French address and French payment method so - when my Kindle arrived it was automatically registered to the US anyway!

I just changed my country back to the UK using the 'Manage my Kindle' facility on my account. This lets me buy from the UK Kindle Shop and pay in GBP. If you're registered to the US Kindle shop you must pay in USD which may, or may not, be a good thing depending on the exchange rate. No option to buy in euros at the moment.

I must say that I found both the Kindle and the books to be more expensive from the US.

Essentially there are only 2 Kindle Stores - one in the UK and one in the US covering everywhere except the UK.

I had exactly the same circumstances as Simon, and followed the same method. It all works fine. I can buy and download from Amazon U.K. I am absolutely thrilled with it too.

I pretty much had to have a Kindle because I've just published my novel on it! Wanted to see how it all looks and I'm very pleased.

Never thought I'd like reading anything other than books but I've honestly had to do a complete U-turn on that thought.

Amazon give Kindle app free for PC (I have it on my laptop) and it is also available for i-phone from app store, I'm sure the Kindle is a wonderful tool, perhaps more convenient to handle or something, but assuming you have either laptop or i-phone why would you want a Kindle?

All I can remember was a User's guide and New Oxford American dictionary. Then you can go online either using your Kindle or your computer and order lots of free classics. It didn't take long to charge the Kindle up either. Are you all excited? And did you go for the powder blue cover?

[quote user="just john "]

Amazon give Kindle app free for PC (I have it on my laptop) and it is also available for i-phone from app store, I'm sure the Kindle is a wonderful tool, perhaps more convenient to handle or something, but assuming you have either laptop or i-phone why would you want a Kindle?

[/quote]My belief, JJ, is that the screen is not backlit and thus is far easier to read for long periods - ie it's much closer to the printed page than the other devices you mention. 

I'm not the powder blue type, GG!  I looked at the "Burgundy" one but it looked a bit too close to pink for my taste so I went for black.  I have to wait until somebody goes to the UK to pick mine up so I am just having to be patient.

Well Just John let's see...a Kindle is a fraction of the cost, light as a feather, stores thousands of books, charge can last for weeks, uses e-ink so just like reading a book (as already stated - no glare), the 3G version comes with free internet access, an MP3 player and an audio reading facility.

Essentially it offers an exceptional, authentic book reading experience with amazing bonus extras...should I go on....?

Simon the absolute convert ! :-)

[quote user="gardengirl "]Are you all excited? And did you go for the powder blue cover?[/quote]

I did go for a powder blue cover in a moment of madness - it was £50 or something like that but it has a light.  When I'm in the tiresome queue for the 23h30 Caen to Portsmouth ferry, I thought the light would be useful.

I could have done with the Kindle (with light) on the night train from Paris to Berlin.  I was sharing a carriage with my 17 year old daughter and 4 strangers and the hours were interminable.  It was difficult not to fall asleep on the shoulder of the (young) bloke next to me.  I bet that he wished that he was sitting next to my daughter.

GG - I am SOOOOO excited.  I don't often buy new technology and so this is fun.  I think that I shall try subscribing to a free 2 weeks subscription to a national newspaper - but which one?

Simon - thanks for starting this thread and being so enthusiastic about the product.  It inspired me to get one.