Kindle transfers

CeeJay

I have a Kindle K 3G and when I download books I go to my garden which is about 5 minutes by car, in order that Amazon does not detect a French IP address. However I would like to buy a Kindle without the keyboard for my wife because she hogs mine all the time!! How can I transfer the books I have downloaded to mine onto her Kindle. The proposed Kindle would be registered in my name as a second Kindle at a UK address. I understand that obviously the books she would like to order can be delivered through me to the second Kindle, but what about the ones already on mine?

I have become (as of last night) the proud owner of a Kindle (which I can't touch now till Santa officially delivers it). My husband bought it for me from Tesco, but if you buy from Amazon and register it to your existing account (i.e. NOT the account of the intended recipient) then all your existing previous Kindle purchases will be available on the new device, and any future orders will be available on both as well. Alternatively, buy from Amazon as a "gift" and it will arrive unregistered so you can set it up to your existing account.

My husband's account now has 3 Kindles on it (because he sent one back with a fault and Amazon replaced it but it's still showing on his account) numbered 1, 2 and 3.

Last night we set up "my" Kindle to his account and checked, and all his previous purchases are available on my Kindle.  He has a "read books" folder on his, where he sticks the books he's read, and all his books are now in a similar folder on my Kindle.

[quote user="CeeJay"]I have a Kindle K 3G and when I download books I go to my garden which is about 5 minutes by car, in order that Amazon does not detect a French IP address. However I would like to buy a Kindle without the keyboard for my wife because she hogs mine all the time!! How can I transfer the books I have downloaded to mine onto her Kindle. The proposed Kindle would be registered in my name as a second Kindle at a UK address. I understand that obviously the books she would like to order can be delivered through me to the second Kindle, but what about the ones already on mine?

[/quote]

All the books you have already bought and downloaded are held by Amazon in your Kindle library.  Go to your Kindle account on Amazon and you will be able to direct that each be sent to the new Kindle.  As long as the new Kindle is registered to the same account there should be no problem.

The easiest way to access your account via computer from a UK IP address is to use a VPN such as expatshield (which is free):

http://www.expatshield.com/

One thing to remember if you use expatshield on the computer is that the banner advert at the top of the page needs to be closed each time you go to a new page as it can overly the underlying info.  The new Kindle can be connected to the wifi anytime after you have told the library to transfer the books to the new Kindle (you don't have to have the new Kindle on the wifi when you are asking the library to xfer the books).  It seems that Amazon will deliver quite happily to a Kindle even when it's on a foreign IP address - it is the address of the device on which you make the order that matters.

Using Expatshield would also allow you NOT to have to drive 5 mins to do your ordering!

It seems that Amazon will deliver quite happily to a Kindle even when

it's on a foreign IP address - it is the address of the device on which

you make the order that matters.

JK; Thanks for that. I am a bit unhappy about using Expatshield and am quite happy sojourning over to the garden to download books, however I didn't realise that to transfer books from my library to another registered Kindle Amazon will ignore the IP address, very useful, I will certainly try it. By the way it's no problem accessing my account and library from my computer here in France, it's the downloading bit that causes the problem.

[quote user="confused of chalus"]though it needs wifi rather than 3g ( havent a clue what the difference is but it was a lot cheaper)[/quote]

Errr ... the WiFi-only version has to connect to a home wireless internet system, (or one in, say a coffee shop), whereas the 3G one will work wherever there is a suitable mobile phone signal ...

[quote user="confused of chalus"]I dont understand why you have that problem. My kindle, registered (and originally delivered) to my brothers address downloads quite happily to our house here. I just hope the new one will do the same, though it needs wifi rather than 3g ( havent a clue what the difference is but it was a lot cheaper)[/quote]

A 3g Kindle will connect either to the wifi router or the 'phone signal - whichever is stronger.  With 3g you are talking to Amazon via the 'phone network and this seeems not to be monitored for geographical location; however, when connected via wifi and talking to Amazon, the Amazon server can detect where the device is located.  This has been covered on here before but it would seem that those that get blocked from .co.uk are using wifi for ordering.

[quote user="JK"]A 3g Kindle will connect either to the wifi router or the 'phone signal - whichever is stronger.[/quote]

The Kindle DX (the 10" screen version of the Kindle, only available from the US site) is 3G-only and does not have WiFi. However, as you say, the 3G versions of the smaller Kindle are also equipped to connect via WiFi.