Why-Be-Happy-When-You-Could-Be-Normal?

just john

Having read  Why-Be-Happy-When-You-Could-Be-Normal Jeanette Winterson over the holiday I must say it was neither happy or normal but very compelling, I could not put it down. In one part of the book (I won't spoil it for you) she says 'The best reprieve for me at that time was to go to Paris and hide in the bookshop  http://www.shakespeareandcompany.com/

Unfortunately George Whitman has just now passed on, I hope the shop survives for all our sakes.

You'll love this Coops, apart from a mother relationship thing, she had an old 911 . . .

It's working for me now since JJ tinkered with it!  Thanks.

Back to topic!

I have already got this on my Kindle since it was reviewed on the ReviewShow.  She's a writer I admire a lot and I adored Oranges (have the DVD and the book).  Apart from the gay stuff it resonates with me, not least because of the setting (my mother's pretty hideous but not to this extent!)

Thanks, John.  Definately up my alley.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to this yesterday evening and got half way through before sleep won.  Excellent.  The trouble is that all I want to do now is hop in the car and drive to Pendle Hill.  Being here I can't even look at the painting of it on my bedroom wall. You can take Lancashire out of the girl...

There really are so many dimensions to this book it would be very hard to sum it up or categorise it easily.  Wise woman, well worth a read.

[quote user="NormanH"]I read this as
Why be happy when you could be Norman :)

[/quote]

What, didn't that 10 grand you got back from the tax people make you happy?  Not even a teensy-weensy bit?  Not even for a minute or 10 seconds?[;-)]

• 2 months later...
Fascinating listening to Jeanette talking on Radio 4 this morning, merrily telling how she enjoys dispatching chickens by twisting their necks cause they 'are so stupid', whereas squirrels either get splatted by a spade or shot with her air gun! [:-))]- still kookie after all these years![8-|]