Faulty Ride on Lawn Mower - No receipt

stan

Continuing on with my consumer crusade with faulty French goods........

At the beginning of May last year, I bought a ride on lawn mower at 1,400 Euros from BricoMarche. I paid by cheque and received points for the transaction on my Bricomarche fidelity card. Nearly a year on and only having been used a couple of times, I find that the mower will not start. It is not a battery problem...this type of mower will only start up when in neutral gear. The mower will not go into neutral and so will not start.

I wish to have the mower repaired under its 2 year guarantee. The standard guarantee paperwork came with the mower as opposed to a printed off guarantee at the till, but is not personalised to me in any way.

HOWEVER, as we had moved to France at the time of the mower purchase, and with everything in an uproar!...I have either lost or mislaid the till receipt. I can obviously prove that I made a 1,400 euro transaction on a particular date and as I said, this is backed up by the transaction on my Bricomarche fidelity card.

Has anyone had any experience of returning a faulty item for repair under guarantee without the receipt, but with the evidence of cheque payment and fidelity card transaction/points?

Bricomarche is a franchise and as such your contract will be with the individual shop which sold you the machine. For the most part they do not have repair workshops or anybody competant / skilled enough to do repairs.

I would either put the thing on a trailer, drive it up to the outlet where you bought it and try and negotiate with it parked outside.

Or Talk to your neighbours and see if they can recommend anybody local who knows what they are doing.

If you have only used it a couple of times are you sure you are trying to start it correctly?

I have a similar mower, a Bricomarche own brand, but it actually an Electrolux model, made in USA. Most of these types of mowers are basically the same.

In order to start mine, it has to be in neutral, with the brake set ON, the mower deck switch OFF (ie pressed in) and you have to be sat on the seat (safety microswitch under the seat).

Good luck.

[quote user="sid"]

If you have only used it a couple of times are you sure you are trying to start it correctly?

I have a similar mower, a Bricomarche own brand, but it actually an Electrolux model, made in USA. Most of these types of mowers are basically the same.

In order to start mine, it has to be in neutral, with the brake set ON, the mower deck switch OFF (ie pressed in) and you have to be sat on the seat (safety microswitch under the seat).

Good luck.

[/quote]

I have used it to cut grass a couple of times but used it for other "mini tractor" things, probably about half a dozen times. This problem has only happened recently. I have done all the things you suggest, but that has no effect. I do think it is something to do with the neutral gear.

[quote user="sid"]OK, it was worth a try. [;-)][/quote]

Thanks anyway, it was just the experiences of trying to have something of that value repaired under guarantee, but without the receipt, that I was looking for.

At BM Accueil, explain that you have lost the original sales ticket.

Get BM to reissue (  rĆ©Ć©diter in french) the sales ticket; credit card debit will give name & date, etc of original purchase.

Then with  replacement sales ticket consult BM SAV on repair under manufactures guarantee, presumably 2 years.

PS Just noticed you paid by cheque; your cheque book stub will have the date of the purchase; bank statement will have date of debit to your account.

Perhaps if you have also lost this as well, you may need to visit your bank to obtain supporting documentation.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

At BM Accueil, explain that you have lost the original sales ticket.

Get BM to reissue (  rĆ©Ć©diter in french) the sales ticket; credit card debit will give name & date, etc of original purchase.

Then with  replacement sales ticket consult BM SAV on repair under manufactures guarantee, presumably 2 years.

PS Just noticed you paid by cheque; your cheque book stub will have the date of the purchase; bank statement will have date of debit to your account.

Perhaps if you have also lost this as well, you may need to visit your bank to obtain supporting documentation.

[/quote]

Thanks Pachapapa..I have the cheque book stub and I can obtain a statement if need be. I am also presuming the electronic system of "carte fidelite" for the store will have exact details of the transaction.

[quote user="stan"][quote user="sid"]OK, it was worth a try. [;-)][/quote]

Thanks anyway, it was just the experiences of trying to have something of that value repaired under guarantee, but without the receipt, that I was looking for.
[/quote]

Of course, understood. I thought I had a solution which would have avoided the receipt problem. [Www]

Actually, I've found BM pretty good, along with Castorama and Leroy Merlin, for after sales service, so I hope you get sorted out.

I had a similar problem once with my mower, it was the first use when we got there one spring  after being stored over winter in the barn, it just wouldn't turn over, the battery was ok so I started looking deeper. Found there are a few micro switches scattered around the mower, under the seat on the brake/clutch pedal, cutter deck to check its disengaged etc. searched them out and sprayed with WD 40 left it for a bit and worked the switches, got it going in the end.

Good luck

Thanks to all. I am just back from BM. No problem, they just took my word for it that I had bought it from them last year. I did not have to show them anything paperworkwise, and not having the receipt was not a problem. Anyway, they took it into their storage area to repair it as they could not get it going either. They will contact me in a few days when they have repaired it.....phew that was easy!