Best digital camera for up to 200 euros (£150)

Alan Zoff

It's clear from the number of references to digital cameras on the forum, and some decent pictures, that there are some serious users so I thought I would see if I could get a few recommendations for free.

I appreciate "best" is a subjective term so I will list a few personal priorities. I will take it as read that I would like sharp images with natural colours.

Optical Zoom - preferably 6x or more

A decent viewfinder (i.e. not just LCD panel)

Proper manual focussing, rather than autofocus only (or "manual" focussing that is so fiddly that it's not worth having)

Robust construction -  something to grab hold of.

SD memory storage, if possible (simply because I already have some large capacity SD - rather than XD - cards)

I might add that I have just sent back to the supplier a camera that I thought would fit the bill, the Fuji S5700. It had an impressive 10x optical zoom, a great LCD screen and takes both SD and XD memory, but everything else about it was a disappointment (poor colours, inaccurate auto-focussing with no practical alternative, and a horrible red-eye problem with flash, despite having a - completely useless - red-eye reduction setting). I may have been unlucky with a rogue example, of course, but I intend to try something else.

I am not too bothered about looks, size, etc, as anyone who has seen Mrs Zoff will testify. (Only joking dear.)

I might be expecting too much for the money, but it's worth asking.

My totally biased response is that you look for a good second hand SLR digital camera - from a decent camera shop if you don't trust e-bay.  More future proof and you can expand your range of lenses at a later date or even up-grade the body if it suits you.  Nikon D70 springs to mind - still a great machine and available all over the place at reasonable prices pre-owned.  SD cards the only problem but Compact Flash 2 gig cards are available now at around £15 each so not bank-breaking.  You really would not be disappointed, especially if weight is not an issue.

Have a quick look at some of the stuff mine has produced, and I'm a pretty average photographer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97986095@N00/

Thanks Cooperola.

I rather suspected that that might be the advice. I have an old (35mm) SLR which has served me well combined with a good zoom lens (and several others!), so I may go for a (second-hand) digital equivalent, as you suggest. Unless, that is, someone knows of a slightly less cumbersome alternative.

Ps I take if from the pics that you have a minor interest in sports cars. I would be more than happy with similar results.

I'll second the Nikon D70.  I had one bought for me in May and am delighted with it.  The only function that I would like on it that a more expensive DSLR may have is that when you take a shot the camera automatically also registers another under-exposed and a third  over-exposed.  I have the 18-55 lens that comes with the standard kit and a 55-200 so between them they cover everything I need to photograph. It also receives very good reviews in photo publications.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I'll have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure my D70 has auto-bracketing.
[/quote]Yes it does, Dick.  Although the firmware was updated for some later models so that may have come then.  The upgrades are downloadable for the D70.  I'll try to find the link when I have a moment.

Alan, what is the existing SLR which you have?  All my lenses from the pre-digital days work perfectly on my D70 so that may be your route if they are compatible.

I have done a quick google search and Fuji only seem to produce 1 SLR digital camera and it's very exensive.  However, I note that the mount is Nikon compatible, which may have been the case back in the film camera days.  If this is so then it takes you back down the D70 route as your Fuji lenses may fit. I'll do some more research....

I've had a quick look at this and it looks like no go unless I've missed something vital.  Is you mount of the screw variety?  If so, it's likely it was from the Pentax-compatible generation and won't work with their modern digital SLRs.

My o/h, who keeps up with these things suggests that if you go down the second hand SLR route that you avoid anything other than Nikon, Canon or possibly Olympus.  He suggests the Nikon D100 as a cheaper alternative to the D70 but a 3-4 year old Canon would be equally good, if not better (we tend to be Nikon biased due to the number of lenses we have between us but many Canon users - professionals included - swear by them.)

• 11 months later...

Although I am still interested in upgrading to a digital SLR, I actually ended up for time being with a Fuji S6500 "compact" which is delivering very good results.Seems to have a good 10x optical zoom and processor combination and has quite nice handling.

Obviously, it has limitations, despite the wide range of the zoom lens, as the lens is fixed and Fuji do not make any add-on lenses to fit the 58mm filter screw. However, one of the Hong Kong sites on Ebay has told me that their unbranded Japanese "58mm teleconverter lens" for the Canon A640 or A630 will work equally well with my Fuji. It is very cheap (the postage costs more than the lens!) and I do not expect results equal to those of a dedicated longer lens. But I will give it a go if it will be compatible.

I don't know too much about the principle of these these things. Should it simply be a case that if it has the same thread and will screw into my lens it should double the image size and work the same on my camera as on the Canon it is designed for? The HK supplier says "yes" but it would be helpful to have a more impartial opinion.

Thanks

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]

Should it simply be a case that if it has the same thread and will screw into my lens it should double the image size and work the same on my camera as on the Canon it is designed for? The HK supplier says "yes" but it would be helpful to have a more impartial opinion.

[/quote]

Yup! Basically these front-mounted adapters are simple telescopes and they'll work with anything they physically fit. Used to be popular in my youth before zooms became widely available. As far as quality goes, you get what you pay for.

If you fancy a bit of fun you can make up an adapter to mount one of those security peep-hole jobs on a camera and get a really cheap fish-eye. Or if you want a seriously long lens try rigging a mount for a real telescope or one side of your binoculars.

Thanks again Albert. Interesting link. The Sony looks to be the one to go for - will keep an eye out for one at right price.

Meanwhile, I had put in the minimum bid for the cheapo one on Ebay anyway and was surprised to discover that I "won" it for my 5 euros, plus postage! Not expecting it to live up to its description in terms of lens quality but not exactly losing a fortune if it's a dud.

I have read these posts with interests, because I had a similar question to Alan's.  What I have unfortunately realised is that I will probably not be able to re-use the lenses from my old Pentax P30 SLR pre-digital.  The fitting was Pentax K and I have a Tamron 70-210 zoom lens.

Is there a market these days for non-digital SLRs?  Bearing in mind that sitting unused in a cupboard it is worth absolutely nothing !

I did try to unload my Fujica lenses through a Photography forum, but no takers. I will try Ebay next, but don't expect to get much.

There should be a better market for your Pentax lenses as they fit modern Pentax digital SLRs. (I have been given a collection of old Pentax lenses as well and am looking out for a digital K100D body at the right price.)

Edit: At least I was told that the old Pentax lenses fit modern digital SLRs..... But best get that confirmed by someone who knows more than I do.

Alan

According to the manufacturer's blurb on one well known internet site with the same name as a river in South America (I'm not going to advertise them!), every lens ever made by Pentax will fit the K100D. However in reality unless it is one of the more recent FA  lens many of the automatic feature will be unavailable. If the lens has the "A" setting on the aperture ring then you will be OK. Otherwise you will need to adjust one or more settings (speed/aperture) manually. I specifically bought the K100D so that I could use my collection of Pentax or compatible (such as SIGMA) lenses. I think the results are excellent and unless you are going in for fairly serious semi professional photography it will do the job. 6 Megapixels is ample for most work and the Shake Reduction facility is very good. Now that the K100 Super has superceded it, there may be some good deals or secondhand ones available from people who have "upgraded" to the Super. There is virtually no market for 35mm SLR's other than as a good source of lens for the Digital versions. I have a Pentax MZ5 - beautiful, compact and light but would have to give it away - which I'm not prepared to do. Hope this helps.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Alan Zoff"]

I might add that I have just sent back to the supplier a camera that I thought would fit the bill, the Fuji S5700. It had an impressive 10x optical zoom, a great LCD screen and takes both SD and XD memory, but everything else about it was a disappointment (poor colours, inaccurate auto-focussing with no practical alternative, and a horrible red-eye problem with flash, despite having a - completely useless - red-eye reduction setting). I may have been unlucky with a rogue example, of course, but I intend to try something else.

[/quote]

Alan

I read your original post with interest as I had just purchased a FinePix S5700. I really like the camera's handling as its easy to take spontaneous type pictures as the camera is light and simple to operate. As most of my pictures are taken outside, I dont find any problems with the camera's colour rendition or focusing. I would add that my colour vision is CP2. Have you found an improvement with your replacement cameras?

Trevor

I have really grown to like the S6500.

It may just be that a larger camera suits me better but I found the S5700 fiddly to hold - nowhere to put the left hand! OK for one-handed use I suppose but I like the traditional grip and view-finder framing approach.

Image quality is better on the S6500 than on my S5700 (but as mentioned, I may have had a rogue example). Still a slight tendency to overexpose on Auto, which is easily adjusted using other modes and compensation settings. Able to get much more consistent results than with the S5700.

It doesn't have true Image Stabilisation (rather than having fancy internal wizardry, the IS setting merely selects the fastest available speed) but it has a very good sensitivity range, and decent blur-free images can be achieved in most situations. Certainly good results with the tripod, and I have just bought a light-weight monopod to help with outdoor low-speed shooting, e.g. with the teleconverter fitted.

But if the smaller size of the S5700 suits you and you are getting good results, that's what counts.

• 2 weeks later...
Alan,

I have been using Fujis for some years now and have stuck with the S5600 as it does all I ask of it.  However regarding your quest for additional lens, I use Olympus lens as they screw straight onto the Fuji. E.g., the telescopic T-Con 17 gives absolutely fabulous magnification added to the X10 of the Fuji.

• 2 months later...
Ive had a Fuji S5000 for about 5 years and can recommend it, paid about £350 at the time I think and £125 for a 256mb memory card!! but the latest one (model??) is about 180 euros and also has the ability to piece photos together to look landscape/wide angle without the need for special lenses
look on pixmania.fr