Sign Carving

Chris Head

I've got this to do tommorrow.....

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01055.jpg[/IMG]

It's part of a larger project, I'll show sign in context in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to do a step by step of this sign, I know there's alot of businesses out there who need signs and this is so easy to do and you can't buy it anywhere.

I'm 95% happy with the proportion and style but if something's wrong, please HOLLER, I'm starting work 7ish.

Chris

After sitting and squinting at it for 5 mins, something is not quite right with the 'L'. The bottom left tail bit i think...........although it looks right  how it fits above the 'g'. hummm........could be the angle of the piccy but it might look a bit too 'I' like. Yet in relation to the other letters it fits well.

?????

Louise

That's a fair comment croixblanches.

Yes it's my living and yes my posts could easily be seen as marketing which is in contravention to the rules of this forum. I don't see the way I earn my living as being work though, it's just too much fun.The income from the current orders I have is more than sufficient for us to pay our bills and put bread on the table for two years plus, so I'm not looking for work. Money isn't my thing Croixblanches and I dont chase it.

Everyone knows what I do for a living, therefore every picture I put up and every comment I make is marketing. My motive is to learn, share and help.

Have a great day.

Chris 

[quote user="Chris Head"]

That's a fair comment croixblanches.

Yes it's my living and yes my posts could easily be seen as marketing which is in contravention to the rules of this forum. I don't see the way I earn my living as being work though, it's just too much fun.The income from the current orders I have is more than sufficient for us to pay our bills and put bread on the table for two years plus, so I'm not looking for work. Money isn't my thing Croixblanches and I dont chase it.

Everyone knows what I do for a living, therefore every picture I put up and every comment I make is marketing. My motive is to learn, share and help.

Have a great day.

Chris [/quote]

Thanks for your honest response, Chris. Maybe I'm just far to cynical and looking for things where there aren't any...I just saw the "Bed" post ("Out of interest I costed out my price for an Indigo style bed, not in stained crappy softwood but in solid oak, carved & sanded, all joined and pegged. Y'all might be a bit surprised!") and this one ("I know there's alot of businesses out there who need signs and this is so easy to do and you can't buy it anywhere.") as going a bit beyond learning, sharing and helping. I see the way I earn my living pretty much in the same way you do, BTW.

Enjoy making your sign, as I'm sure you will!

That's cool CB, you're just saying what's on your mind and probably what others are thinking as well, at least you've got the guts to do so, good on ya! You'll often see other pro's chipping in on other sections and helping out CB, I couldn't talk for their motives but mine are simple! If you really disagree with my approach then have a chat to James, that's OK by me.

The bed comment was a genuine comparison between a commercially manufactured product and how this individual producer would price it, by the way. my price IS very low but it would enable me to live in the way I want to whilst having a ball!

Yep, the sign comment did sound a bit iffy, I do the odd sign but I'd get bored if I did more than two in a row, I know they are unique and I could probably make some good money if I cared to market them but I don't want to, simple! I'm hoping that someone might get some ideas and have a go at it themselves. This teeny weeny corner of internet land isn't going to up my turnover CB!

Anyhow, I've seen the error of my ways & I'm off to beat myself with an Oak twig....unless Twinks can make it in time!

Cheers, Chris

Presumably you want Twinks to do the beating, or are you intending to grab 'er by the ankles and............ No, I guess not. [:$]

Don't get me wrong, Chris, I haven't got such strong feelings on things that I feel moved to complain formally, and we're all grownups so if I've got something to say I'm more than happy to say it openly (as I think I have). I'm sure there are plenty of others around whose moatives aren't entirely altruistic, either. I suppose my view is that there's a fine line between discussion and exchange of helpful info, and blatant advertising, and genuinely I'm impressed at your ability (intentional or not) to walk that line. C'est tout!

I'm not brave enough to grab Twinks by her ankles (ahhh me Welsh whiplash!!) and not clever enough to play some subliminal marketing game CB, hope that's cleared up.

Thanks Steve, if anyone gets Le Gif's I'd be gobsmacked, in fact I've still got that pint of Creme de Menthe  left. A clue, it's a sort of 'movement'....I can sense the smut already! I'm not divulging until the project is finished!

Chris

[quote user="Croixblanches"]

Presumably you want Twinks to do the beating, or are you intending to grab 'er by the ankles and............ No, I guess not. [:$]

[/quote]

He could you know - he's very strong!

I know a lot about Chris through reading his posts and here is what I have noticed.

He's very passionate about his work and loves sharing his ideas with us.  When he talks about the actual cost of his pieces I am certain it is only to indicate that beautiful oak furniture doesn't necessarily cost a bomb.  He wants us to think twice before opting to buy something that is mediocre and run of the mill when we could have something of quality and beauty for maybe just a few euros more.

He hates Ikea[:)]

He would make a very bad accountant[Www]

Love him or hate him - he definately makes you think!

[kiss] Cheers Twinkle..............not that i'm intending to act it though, but it's a start [:D]

Now as for Le Gifs.............. maybe its an acronym?? Or maybe Chris is starting his own 'movement'!?

Nope, no idea, and i sooooo fancied a pint of Creme de Menthe.

Louise

Chris....

Has anyone approached you to make coffins with your oak?... Just asking because15 years ago we felled quite a few oaks that had become too dangerous leaning and swaying badly over buildings at the slightest puff of wind. We had no end of calls from potential buyers. On asking as a matter of interest, what was going to be the end product that they intended it for, all of them said : for coffins....

I was very sad that these beautiful trees were not going to see another life by being transformed into lovely furniture or as panelling in an old house restoration project. Wish I'd known you then, I would have sold you the entire lot!

How did the commission go for the bar?.... I'll be inspecting it soon!....[;-)]

Coffins? No thanks, imagine putting all that work in and life into it and then burying it 6ft under with a body in it! I think it would have cost more to get the trees to Suffolk than it would have cost to buy them but thanks for the thought. You could always stick one on the roof rack when you come over though Missy?

The bars still going, the two clients came over yesterday to have a look, I call them 'Mes deux mittraillettes' (sp?) because of the speed they both talk at.....there's another clue to Le Gif's by the way!

Piddling down here.

Chris