Dual action sanders

Chris Head

[quote user="Chris Head"]

What do they do? How do they work? I've never used one, they seem expensive at 200 sterling and up, I need something that will sand curvy and undulating surfaces quickly and to a good standard.

[/quote]

It's not something I've used either . You might be better off with one of the new generation 'mouse' style sanders. You can pick up ones like black and decker for well under £70 even for the top models. I use a cheap one for getting into awkward spaces but it depends on your needs. Here's an example:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/products.asp?catno=KA270K&hierarchyID1=365&hierarchyID2=416&hierarchyID3=421&lid=1&mktid=2

Hi Chris, this looks a bit more like it http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Dual-Action-Sanders-150mm-206929.htm . Cyclonic irrigation will be the next bit. I didn't even know they existed till now!?

I'm not too sure if it will get 'into the corners' too well though. I have a Makita random orbit sander. It's a great bit of kit. It removes unwanted wood very quickly with a 60 grit disk and will give a nice finish as you go up through the grits, especially if you use a slightly worn 240 disk. For fine detail I have a Bosch detail sander. The little tryangle thingy. There are a couple of special 'fingers' that replace the tryangular head, one flat and one convex along the length. Very handy for getting at alkward places. I would think that the 2 were a fair bit cheeper that the dual things too?

I know they seem expensive but I'm wanting to give an effecient and higher standard of finish to carved aspects of my work, I'm suprised none of you lot have one or have used one. I'll post a piccy of what I mean at the weekend....if I haven't topped my clients by then!

hi chris

( will post pic soon )

ok dual action sanders iv`e got a dewalt one shaped like an angle grinder and a metabo dual orbit sander. they have been used in car body repair for ages but woodworkers have found them very usefull .. the dewalt has 2 settings first one is just basically like an angle grinder for rapid removal the second setting is fixed orbital sanding i.e. the sanding disc revolves and the disc itself revolves this sometimes leaves little tiny 88888 in the finnish hence I bought the metabo dual orbit one ,this also has two settings but both random orbit ,one in a larger circle than the other.

i did buy a cheepie to start off with but threw it in the bin why you ask ???? ok the cheepie if it lifts off for just a second it overruns and when you put it back on the wood it will leaves great big marks untill it slows back down . the expensive donot over run on no load, and after say 20 mins sanding with a cheepie you will not feel you wrists for 2 hours.

in the words of tommy walsh buy the best you can afford and buy once.

I use mine a lot and with the dust extractor fixed to it it is dust less, i have even sanded the plaster   board with it.

dave

But even without the over-run surely these machines are to big for detail sanding? with a 100mm flat bed it would be hard to use on soft curved surfaces like wood? I think a detail sander with precision attachments would be better for the job stated? True, always buy the best you can afford but buy the right tool for the requirements in the first place. 

OK I think I understand now Dave, that's great info. I'm sorted for detail sanding, the dremel, and Makita powerfile do most of the intricate work.

The ladder frame is a good example of what I want to do with the sander, the frame itself is sanded with a 40 grit flap disc from a rough chainsaw finish, would one of these sanders have given a better finish on the undulating 'carved' surfaces of the frame?

I agree that Orbital sanders are great. I have found that sometimes if using sanding sheets with pre-cut dust holes, they can occasionally leave a few fine squiggle lines on the wood. However, either using plan sheets or punching your own dust extraction holes (cheaper as well) no problem.

How come orbital sanders are so much cheaper than dual action (or random orbit) sanders.

Also, all the dual action/random orbit sander I have seen recently use special velcro sanding discs that are very expensive (at least very expensive compared to standard sanding sheets used by orbital sanders).

Ian

hi ok

there is a vast differnce between random orbital sanders/ orbital sanders and  dual action sanders . really not enough space here to post the differences ,but ..........Chris  cut this old oak ???? may be chestnut beam up with a chain saw attacked it with an angle grinder fitted with a wire brush to get rid of the wood worm and then the metaboo random !!!!!!! and then finnishing oil

stud workdave

• 1 month later...