Air drying oak... with a hose?

Jess

Hi

I've just brought some 1" fairly green oak planking that i'm trying to air dry outside.

The guy from the timber yard told me to hose it down twice a week, to draw out the tannin for it to be ready in the summer. But having read all the online advise i can find about air drying, nowhere is hoseing the stack mentioned. In fact people seem to be suggesting that its to be kept dry...

Could anyone enlighten me as to what I should be doing? I cant imagine that Mr Timberyard would give me totally erronious advise, has anyone tried this?

Thankx. Jessie.

Yes ditto here in Mayenne (53). There is a large timber yard at Laval that has about 7 huge sprinklers running 24/7 on their cut oak running from a large reservoir that just recirculates the water. I never knew that it was to draw out the tannin though.

I seem to remember being taught in college - a long time ago now, so don't shout at me if my memory's playing up - that 'in days gone by' oak used to be seasoned by laying it in running water, i.e. streams and the like ...

Just an observation ...

Craig

Thankx for comments.

I guess thats just how its done here then. I'm only concerned about staining, really, and getting the whole planks equally wet. I have pine spacers (provided by the timber yard), do you think i might end up with stains where the spacers are, or should that not make a difference?

Do you think air drying (the dry way) would be better for home-doing? Has anybody tried the wet method?

Thankx again. J

I think they are two separate things , when our oak beams were delivered they were stacked outside and whilst waiting to be used were caught in several showers, the amount of brown liquid (containing tannin) that washed out was incredible staining everything; I can only assume that the washing out of the tannin is to avoid later staining, and then after to allow the oak to dry to a more even colour and to resist  casehardening. [8-|]

Parafin wax is the stuff that I use and the last time was a couple of days back. Just melt it in a small sauspan ans brush it on the end grain. The stuff I have came from Axminster Power Supplies and it's dead easy to use.

If you use one of yer OHs sauspans then don't blame me if she takes a big knife to you afterwards. I have a small cheep pan that I use and the paint brush lives with it too.

• 1 month later...