Sharpening circular saw & planer blades

Postie

I had my thicknesser blades done mail order by a business in the UK at what I thought was a reasonable price, and quite quickly too (turnaround was about ten days from me sending them to getting them back). Google "sharpkives" and I imagine you'll find it.

Their prices are pretty transparent and you can work out for yourself whether it's cheaper than going to a nearby or more distant local sharpener.

Well, I took the blades to a company near The Mervent who will sharpen 2 x 300mm planer and 1 x 200mm cross cut saw blades for 24 Euros, collect them on Mon. As I have no idea what sharpening costs even in the UK, I was happy to pay the 24E, (luckily I had a friend in UK who did them for free). Dave, I know I can get blades for £10 in the Uk but they are really rubbish [:(] so, that too, is a "no brainer".

Postie

FWIW, I get my planer blades sharpened at the local Brico-Pro - they send them away, and it takes "une quinzaine"..... For two 210mm blades, it costs E12.

Don't know what they charge for saw blades, but with a new Freud at around £30-40, it might be a better deal.

Cheers

[quote user="Postie"]Well, I took the blades to a company near The Mervent who will sharpen 2 x 300mm planer and 1 x 200mm cross cut saw blades for 24 Euros, collect them on Mon. [/quote]

That sounds a very good deal, I would be very happy with that, was the crosscut blade TCT tipped? Usually it costs more to have them sharpened than to buy new and that is even at agog French prices of over one euro per tooth.

I use a DMT diamond whet stone and do my own saw blades. It onlyt ake 5 minutes or so. I only have a small hand planer so those get done with the whet stone as well. I have 3 different grades of small and a fine bench stone, so no problems there

http://www.axminster.co.uk/dmt-mini-whetstones-set-of-3-prod823045/

http://www.axminster.co.uk/dmt-bench-whetstone-prod21932/

Getting these may be a bit more expensive to start, but they last and last. There are also very good for sharpening router cutters and the main advantage is that if you send them away for sharpening they take a great lump off and soon you are buying new cutters. With a DMT stone you only take of enough to sharpen it and it's instantly ready for use again...