Something for the football fans.

Is it a trophy you won as a lad, ChrisPP?  You don't look old enough for brylcreem (first time of popularity) and hobnail football boots!

It has a lovely patina - congrats for not polishing it off.

I read about your clockmaking/repairing skills on the other thread - I wonder if there are any more hidden talents kicking about?

[quote user="chris pp"]Didn't know that you are a football fan Tresco.[/quote]

Yes, but more and more like a pathetic girl. It's harder to keep up with English football without English channels.

I got closely questioned by the offspring recently as to the latest team news, buys and other developments (re: the team everyone else loves to hate) and was found very wanting.

The figure you posted looks very '30s to me. Do you know if it represents anyone?

I can't see the the amount of work that's gone into it (and the price, as I doubt they were cheap when they were produced) being justified by a 'generic' figure.

For me it has to be 'someone' that many people would have bought the figure of.

Where's Miki when you need him?

Edit: Looking again, I wonder if Cassis is right about it being a Trophy. The size would tell me something. The base doesn't look original, somehow...

Now bear in mind I know next to nothing about football history, but I'm 99.9% certain that the base is original, remember my past, I usually know what I'm looking at.[:D]

Trophy? No, I don't think so, more likely a "fashion" at a certain period when football was in vogue in France, or maybe when France hosted a sporting occasion. Date is a bit difficult, but I would think pre 2nd world war, but maybe not as old as some may think, France continued with old methods and materials for much longer than other European Countries, Stone buildings were still being constructed into the 1950's.

Your right, Tresco, where's Miki?

Chris

Chris, is it about 7/8 inches high?

You still using pounds, shillings and pence as well, Tresco??   Inches??? I'm in France, we have Euros and centimetres.[8-)]

To answer your question, No, it's about 12 inches high, that's about 32 centimetres for the continental members of the forum. Needless to say, I think it's rather nice as an item which clearly represents its time, whenever that was exactly.

Chris

LOL, I'm asking daft questions. And I still think in inches.

It's just that figures like that were made in certain numbers at certain heights. I've been searching my books for him. Not found him but that means nowt.

He's a nice figure. I'd have him any day.

[quote user="Tresco"]

I reckon 1929-39, judging by the base and the styling of the shorts!!!

Chris, is it about 7/8 inches high?

[/quote]

Those dates would tie in with the first "WorldCup" which was played in 1930 in South America

Leo

Sorry for being a little late. I don't normally  look in on all the categories.

Well in my werry 'umble opinion, I would hazard a guess as to say

it is

a keepsake trophy for a team winning a cup tournament or league and

that a plate stating the cup or league etc, would normally be on the

front edge of the marble. There are of course momentos that can be

bought, it could be one I suppose but it just seems to look and fit, in

to the category of an award. It would appear to be continental by the

shirt alone. And looking at the shorts, they were worn much longer

in the UK than the pair on the player. Short sleeves were certainly not

too au fait in the UK and the feel

is of France/Spain or Italy perhaps. Age, difficult as that kind of kit

was worn right up to the late 50's, then of course for one thing, the

boots changed to lose the toe cap and slimmed down in height, as well

as losing the knock in leather studs!!  Then again, most trophies

of that nature, even today will be imported, so the player and style

would be of the local type and so one like this, could well end up in

the UK as a prize.

It is indeed a very handsome trophy and the recipient must have been over the moon (a litle soccer cliché just seemed apt [;-)]

In the mid 80's, whilst in charge (sadly, not playing then !) of a

representative side in Belgium, we won the tournament for the 3rd time,

and won outright, the most excellent looking trophy, one of the best I

had even seen in my days of soccer. It was called the Euroman trophy

and in fact one chap, who used to post (might still do ?) on here, knew

the University ground, where the tournament was played on annually. If

I can get a picture I will, I was also lucky enough to be given a quite

wonderful medal in a case each time from King Bedouin (not personally

mind you !)...sorry getting a bit egoistic then...apologies.

Dotty, gotta ask, grumpy.... moi..? Where and when and what woz it abart dear Dotty [:)]

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Tresco"]

LOL, I'm asking daft questions. [/quote]

Here's another. Are his elbows/back/bottom in line with the right hand side edge of the base?

[/quote]

Are you suggesting this handsome fellow is a bookend, Tresco?

Hi Tresco,

I've just read your earlier post saying you find it hard to keep up with all the news on football teams, transfers etc.

I find that http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm keeps me pretty much upto date. In the gossip part it is interesting to read how different newspapers give diametrically opposed reports on the same transfer or topic.

Hope it gives you increased cred!

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="Miki"]1923 actually and 0 .7 mm..............[:)][/quote]

Attention to detail. I've always liked that in a pedant...sorry, man.[:D]

[/quote]

Glad to hear it......there's enough duff info on forums (not Damien either [:)] )

I am now informed it is actually 1923¼ and 0.66666mm....now that really is pedant...sorry, manly [;-)]

If Chris now turns it upside down and it says Made in China.....then....................[:D]

Nope, not made in China and no sign of there ever having been any plaque or anything else on the base.

His right elbow is not far of being in line with the base, but only his right elbow, and having just had a good look, it is good quality for spelter and I assume that the finish is "cold painted" to give it the bronze effect.

Chris