White Goods

French Frank

Bought an American fridge-freezer from Darty on line.  Excellent price, free delivery and the delivery man checked it was working and levelled the feet.  Also had 30 days in which to change my mind.  Can't fault anything, including the fridge!

We've ordered assorted white goods from Darty with free delivery, even to our fairly remote house.  We were very satisfied with the delivery and installation service - and we also liked the website as a route for choosing fridges etc.  The  only problem if, like us, you are ordering from the UK, is that I could not place my order on line because I did not have a French telephone number and there is a compulsory field for a French number.  But when I phoned the telephone order line they were happy to take our UK mobile number - and indeed the delivery man phoned it to confirm delivery time (not all French companies like phoning UK mobile phone numbers, for understandable reasons).  Some of the customer service assistants have spoken some English, although fortunately I have not had to depend on that.

Next step - organise a french land line!

Helen

We have also used Darty and found them to be very good when buying the washing machine and oven.  However, now we need a fridge/freezer and have been disappoined with the range available from them.  There seem to be a lot of rubbishy makes there.  Having had a so-called 'good' make in the UK which was actually pretty rubbish, we are being pretty picky now.

I know you do sometimes have to go by the name or "marque" but how often have you found that a so-called tried and trusted brand has become so-so and a lesser name has upped its game?

Years ago, I remember Toyota cars were considered rubbish and Hondas rust buckets and look at them now.  Slick, reliable, EXPENSIVE!

What I did was to look at fridges in a shop, picked the one I liked and then ordered it from Darty.  That way, I got to take a good close look, handled the shelves and everything and still got my bargain.

Now, that's what I call shopping smart.  Plus, of course, I was on a budget, couldn't afford to throw money away on designer brands.  To coin a phrase, Necessity is the Mother of Prudent Shopping.

All our white goods were purchased at a shop-soiled, end of lines etc shop locally. They may not be the latest models or wholly scratch free but they all work. Choice is limited on the lines of "if you can't see it here in the shop we ain't got it" but this system suits us. The only problem we have had is with a fridge/freezer and it took just a single call to get the man out to fix it - from things I read such SAV is rare in France [:(] I am pretty sure that this shop is a one-off so prob no use to OP. Sorry.

Most of us have no idea who manufacturers, we can only go on the name on the label e.g. Bosch, Siemens, AEG wash machines or do I mean dishwashers appear identical except for the badge.

John

not

[quote user="French Frank"]We are looking to purchase all of our white goods when we are over in either Feb or Mar.  Does anyone have any advice on the best places to purchase these goods or are the supermarkets any good??[/quote]

Hi FF - not sure if this will help or confuse but we bought a fridge and freezer from Darty when we arrived and I would agree with all the above comments... very helpful staff, very good delivery and installation service and we're very happy with the products. 

We're about to re-do our kitchen and have a long list of new electrical appliances we need.  A friend told us to make a note of the model and price and go and see his local shop as he would save us money.  So, we made a list (make and model), compared prices from Darty and drove into town with our friend.  The local man saved us almost 1000 euros.  He took the list, went away and came back with the same brands or similiar quality makes, most things were more recent models than we had listed and still he came back cheaper... he'll also deliver to us too.  We were amazed at the saving... we're buying 2 ovens, hob, dishwasher, microwave, and other small kitchen appliances.  If we hadn't been told we wouldn't have looked in the small local shops.... maybe worth considering before you make the purchase?  [8-)]

We are in the same position, re-doing our kitchen and have been told to get make model numbers of the items we require and take them into our local Gitem shop the chap in there told us he can beat most internet prices as there is minimal delivery.  Even if it was the same price or a few € more I think I will be from a local shop for peace of mind if anything does go wrong.