Furnishing a house

jen

We're going to have to buy furniture for our new house at the end of month. When we have looked round in the area at furniture stores and local Troc we found the furniture very expensive. Now wondering whether if we buy everything here and hire van would it work out cheaper.

Would love to hear from other members what they have done.

Well, they've had their fun! [:)]

Remembering other queries like yours, I seem to remember a fairly even split between those who bought in France, and those who transported their goods across, either by van themselves or by using a removals company.

We were buying for a second home from scratch about 2 years ago, and bought in both countries. Some we knew we wanted from UK, such as the same bed as in UK house (suits my bad back), so we bought a few things and had them shipped out, which was pretty expensive. However, the load included a shower cubicle my OH particularly wanted; it was on sale in France, but heading for double the UK price. So the savings on that went quite a way to pay for the shipping for it all. During the time we've had a place in France we've also taken a few small pieces such as a coffee table, shelves and all household linen (John Lewis sales!) down in the car.

We bought the sofabed (Italian) in France; we saw it originally in UK, but got it cheaper in France as there was a special offer on it, plus a few items from Ikea in France and we also bought the kitchen units and white goods in France as it was simpler to have it designed and fitted by one company.

We bought as things were getting dearer because of the exchange rate; I think if we were moving now we might well buy more in UK. It also means you know which shops tend to stock just what you like, plus the sales are still on with some pretty good bargains. However, there are sometimes warnings about the guarantees if you take goods abroad. Good luck! [:)]

• 8 months later...
I am in the same boat, about to try furnishing a 5 bedroom house.  How's about Bricolages are they reasonable, I really would like older furniture to go with the character of the old house with it's oak floors.

Using Ikea would be like giving the Queen snake a tattoo lol.  Ooh, we are moving to Sud Charente btw, any one know any local to Aubeterre and ideas on prices please?

Remember if you buy quality furniture from a Troc it will hold its value so it is not really expensive.

Saw an amazing piece of furniture this week a stone sideboard and matching mirror all very 1970's and must have been made by Fred Flintstone.

A Troc is a trocante a shop that sells just about anything on commision.

You'll usually find modern through to antique furniture.

I reckon there are some absolute bargains if you like older classical furniture.

Dressers for instance in oak for around 100 euros you couldn't even buy the wood to make one for that price.

In 24 there are plenty of artisans making furniture and chairs and they are not expensive.

Ahhh, that's great news thanks Dog.  I was really worried, the house we have bought is classically French and it's going to have to have a certain type of furniture so it all fits but I was a bit worried it would cost thousands.  It was fully furnished when we went to look at it but we are not sure what they are leaving, it's a holiday home for a Parisian family.  We have asked the agen to pass on thet we would like to buy some of the furniture if they want rid but nothing has been mentioned.

Aubeterre is about half an hour North of where I live - it has excellent bridge jumping and a great weir for canoeing with nearly a two metre sheer drop.

It's a bit of a journey for you but there are two good Trocs in Perigueux, the manager of one speaks perfect English and is very helpful.

Throughout France, there is a charitable organisation called Emmaus, which is run to raise money for the homeless and is staffed by the homeless. 

They have big warehouses with second hand furniture at reasonable prices.  It is very hit and miss when you go along as they get fresh stock every day, so it is best to go at opening time.  If you say roughly where you are in France, I can look to see where your nearest store is.

Furnishing a house in France is far more expansive than the UK.  If you search on this Forum, you will find several threads devoted to subject, with a debate about whether or not to buy in France or transfer your stuff from the UK.  There is no easy answer.

This thread is about buying at a Troc and at Emmaus.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1418332/ShowPost.aspx

There are lots of other threads for you to read - search using the words: furniture or moving or Emmaus etc etc.  They will make interesting reading for you.  You will need a couple of hours as there are so many...

Thanks Dog & Cathy.  Aubeterre river is one of the main attractions I like, can't wait to go canoeing.

Thanks for the link Cathy.  I have tried searching and found some interesting info but like you say, there is so much of it.  I have been reading for about 2 weeks all ready using all my spare time and have only just scratched the surface.  I was reading about Opas's thread of incarceration in the UK for a driving offence, it was like reading a season of 24. My Name is Jack Bauer and today is the longest day of my life, must have been horrible.

We are buying in Aubeterre-Sur-Dronne south Cherente dpt 16 I think.  I would'nt be buying much in the UK apart from beds maybe, the house had a grand oak staircase and lovely oak floors (not that that's special in France I know) and it would be criminal to furnish it with melamine from Ikea. 

Thanks again for your help.[:D]

Hi, Crossy, I do envy you as we have just recently been pipped to the post with a house within minutes of Aubeterre.

Still, I have been well consoled because we found another one not too far away!

Strange how one door closes and another opens, as they say!

Good Luck with your furnishings.  Look out for the saloperies!!

Oh no, not Saloparies.  maybe I should reconsider [:)].

We have the comprome devent on my desk in front of me, I am trying to make some sense of it[8-)], hopefully will be getting it translated tomorrow and there is a bit of an issue with the land to sort out then it's signing our lives away, can't wait.  Where in Shropshire are you from?  We are in Wrexham and I do a lot of work round north Shrops.

• 1 year later...