Debenhams UK - on-line ordering ?

chessie

I've tried to order something special from Debenhams UK on-line service.

I'm finding it impossible.    The system won't recognise French address - appears only to have a box for UK post-codes and nothing more;   nor will it let me log-on to create an account.     There seems to be no facility for ordering on-line if you don't live in the UK.   But the annoying thing is they do state they deliver to France and other countries.    And my order shows the total postage costs for delivery here to France.    But I can't progress any further - system won't accept my order.

Has anyone else managed to order on-line from Debenhams with delivery to France ?    Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong ?

And before you ask - yes, I've send Head Office and customer services two e-mails - still waiting for response/reply/advice from them.

Any ideas anyone ?

Chessie

There are some things that companies are not allowed to send abroad in general and to France in particular. As an eg you cannot order SOME electrical goods or batteries from Amazon co uk for delivery to France.

Edit: Should have repeated the *some* in my original post ... mea culpa

Sue [:(]

Hi Chessie

I had exactly the same problem as you are having when I first tried to order.  I was using - or trying to use - a UK credit card but with delivery to France and the system just wouldn't have it.  This was a couple of years ago and I am trying to remember how it was sorted out.  I know I 'phoned customer services and I think the rather convoluted answer was something to do with my never having placed an order to the UK address (where the card was registered) before, so they were loathe to send stuff off to France (no, it didn't make sense to me either!).  I think I ordered something fairly cheap and cheerful and had it sent to the UK address (where our daughter now lives) and then a week or so later I was able to have an order sent to France.  But you shouldn't have to go through all that hoohah; there must be lots of people now setting up accounts in France with either UK credit cards or French ones.  I suggest phoning customer services and asking to speak to someone for advice about setting up an account for delivery to France.  I would also tell them about the unanswered e-mails.  If you add an item to your basket, it tells you on the 'basket' page whether it is available for international delivery so you can check you are not trying to order things which can't be sent.

Once you get into the system it seems to work quite well and their delivery charges are very reasonable.  I was also able to have something sent to my son in California - more expensive than to Europe but much cheaper than normal parcel post.  So it's worth persevering even though it's so frustrating.

Good luck!

Val

PS If/when you manage it, it might be useful to post exactly how it's done!

[quote user="val douest"]Hi Chessie

I had exactly the same problem as you are having when I first tried to order.  I was using - or trying to use - a UK credit card but with delivery to France and the system just wouldn't have it.  This was a couple of years ago and I am trying to remember how it was sorted out.  I know I 'phoned customer services and I think the rather convoluted answer was something to do with my never having placed an order to the UK address (where the card was registered) before, so they were loathe to send stuff off to France (no, it didn't make sense to me either!).  I think I ordered something fairly cheap and cheerful and had it sent to the UK address (where our daughter now lives) and then a week or so later I was able to have an order sent to France.  But you shouldn't have to go through all that hoohah; there must be lots of people now setting up accounts in France with either UK credit cards or French ones.  I suggest phoning customer services and asking to speak to someone for advice about setting up an account for delivery to France.  I would also tell them about the unanswered e-mails.  If you add an item to your basket, it tells you on the 'basket' page whether it is available for international delivery so you can check you are not trying to order things which can't be sent.

Once you get into the system it seems to work quite well and their delivery charges are very reasonable.  I was also able to have something sent to my son in California - more expensive than to Europe but much cheaper than normal parcel post.  So it's worth persevering even though it's so frustrating.

Good luck!

Val

PS If/when you manage it, it might be useful to post exactly how it's done!

[/quote]

It's an effort to stop "card holder not present" fraud. In this case somebody clones your card details, sets up an account, and uses the card details from another country. At least if there have been UK deliveries the supplier has made some effort to check the provenence of the details on the account. Otherwise, worse case scenario, your card is cloned, supplier delivers goods, credit card company clawback the payment, and the supplier is out of pocket.

Standard scam. Very common in France. Though I doubt in this case a French address triggered the your suppliers system locks.

Had no problems back in July. I used a British card with French address. Just checked my details which remain correct. I will try and remember if I had to do anything special with the postcode-which has proved troublesome elsewhere in the past.

Don't know if this applies in this case, as I have not  tried to order from Debenhams, but on other sites in the past I have had to put France into the post code box to move on to be able to give a French address.  Poor system design as there are plenty of ways of checking that the card and address are tied together correctly.....

However, if the customer services / head office cannot even reply to emails, one does wonder if they really want the business. 

• 4 weeks later...
Me too, Elamessa.  In fact I bought a surround system this morning (£100 off for Black Friday) for my Christmas present.  No probs at all with them for electrical goods.  I've yet to try batteries though but have often bought food items from them (Tea, ginger biscuits) even though other companies won't post them.[:)]

[quote user="suein56"]There are some things that companies are not allowed to send abroad in general and to France in particular. As an eg you cannot order SOME electrical goods or batteries from Amazon co uk for delivery to France. [/quote]

Should have repeated the *some* in my original post ... mea culpa.[:(] have now corrected my OP.

Though hopefully this restriction might change one day ...

oohh was that a pig that just flew by the window?

Sue [;-)]