shooting again.

Hello all, i am missing my shooting here, rifle/shotgun. and would like to get involved again. Are there any Brits in the riberac area who shoot and are active and know the laws etc, would welcome the opportunity to tag along or at least have a chat to put me on the way to registering my firearms and getting involved with a local shooting syndicate, look forward to hearing from anyone, hugh Gibson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I suggest that you combine sport with social purpose?

Take your gun, go out into the country and shoot anyone you see wearing camouflage gear and carrying a shotgun.

This way you will strike a real blow for ecology, noise abatement, the safety of non-hunters (95% of the population of France) and the future of the French state pension system.

If there is a totally useless group of people it is hunters, closely followed by French farmers. Of course the two groups overlap to a great extent which probably explains a lot. The only good thing one can say about them is that every year some manage to kill each other. If only they could be more successful in this.

Where do you live. In the depths of a large city amongst a lot of other tree huggers.

No, in the French countryside. I have lived there for 30 years.

Perhaps you are unaware that there are around 2 million people who enjoy shooting and hunting.

Hence the 95% statistic I quoted, though I was overly generous. 2 million hunters and 58 million non-hunters. Hunters are definitely the odd ones out.

Hunters do a lot of conservation work and contribute to the wellbeing of the countryside. The shooting community also  contribute to the economy both local and national. In some areas if game, for instance sanglier, was not controlled the would become a danger and problem.

Around here the only thing that hunters do is to make a damn nuisance of themselves.

So Mr Mazan as a immigrant I suggest you mind your own business and let people get on with what they like to do. But I suppose you,  like most of the population of "great britain" like the words Ban and it.

It's hard to know where to start in your catalogue of errors. Suffice it to say that most French people are against hunting and, as a fully registered voter in France, it is indeed my business what people do here, especially when it involves annoying others, invading private property and putting the lives of innocent walkers in danger.

[quote]Dear Mr Mazan. Where do you live. In the depths of a large city amongst a lot of other tree huggers. Perhaps you are unaware that there are around 2 million people who enjoy shooting and hunting. Hun...[/quote]

You mention that sanglier can be a nuisance (which indeed they are around here) and that the hunter's provide a service by controlling them.  Well around here they breed them and feed them for hunting purposes. (wrong quote, tried to quote Albi)

[quote]May I suggest that you combine sport with social purpose? Take your gun, go out into the country and shoot anyone you see wearing camouflage gear and carrying a shotgun. This way you will strike a r...[/quote]

Dear Sir!!!!!! If you do not like hunters then do not read postings that are related to hunting. This forum is not here for you to slag off another persons hobby/interest,if you want to seriously have a go at hunters then open up your own thread and spout off there. You do not know me nor i you so what gives you the right to have a go at me on a posting that i placed for some constructive information not verbal abuse, you sir, should be ashamed of yourself. This forum, i believe is designed to help people settle in a new country and aid what is best described as an emotional rollercoaster to a new life, please, get your own life and stay out of mine.

If you do not like hunters then do not read postings that are related to hunting. This forum is not here for you to slag off another persons hobby/interest,if you want to seriously have a go at hunters then open up your own thread and spout off there.

This is a public forum in which I shall write what I like. Those who have antisocial hobbies like yours can expect to be on the receiving end.

get your own life and stay out of mine.

If you want people to leave you alone then get yourself a hobby that doesn't annoy others. My main objection to hunters is the appalling nuisance and danger they are to all.

Why do you think that you have the right to annoy and endanger others yet others don't have the right to criticise you for doing so? This is typical of the attitude of hunters, none of whom have any regard for anyone other than themselves.

I don't think you can write what you want on here.

Why not?

Hunting is not antisocial

Ah. So running around firing guns in public places, making a lot of noise and invading private property isn't antisocial? I'd like to know just what is antisocial then.

it is people like you, people with narrow minds and blinkered vision who are the real social parasites.

Social parasites? What on earth are you taking about?

Why do you think that you have a right to come into a largely hunting community and try to push your narrow views down peoples throats.

Again I will repeat a simple fact that has apparently escaped you: of 60 million people in France only 2 million or so are hunters. Under 5% in fact. Most (ie more than half) French people are opposed to hunting as can be noted on TV and in the press every September.

French hunters systematically ignore both French and EU legislation relating to hunting. Again proving their total disregard and lack of respect for anything other than themselves.

I don't think anyone could accuse Mazan of not being helpful. I would imagine he's helped more people on this site, including me, than anyone. Obviously a raw nerve has been touched here. As a walker I'm inclined to sympathise, especially ever since a hunter leapt out of the bushes once, swinging his rifle round in an arc towards me! But I'm also a shooter - but only of clay pigeons. Good fun, and a good way to let off steam. Maybe hughmandy and Mazan should both have a go!

Patrick

Sorry hughmandy but i'm glad this discussion was started.I shall be moving to a very rural area of the France in July where hunting is a big part of local life.

In the UK i am a 'beater' on pheasant shoots and usually take one of my sons with me as they enjoy the day in the fields and woods.We do not interfere with anyone else as the shoot takes place on private land.I think this is where hunting in France is different.Whilst walking on xmas day down the local country lanes we had to be a bit careful where we walked as a hunt was in progress.We did get the impression from the looks on the hunters faces that although we were on public roads we had no right to be there.

I still intend to try and join the local hunt but will not be taking any of the children as it seems too dangerous.I can see why hunting is unpopular with the majority of the population as they take over mainly public land but it is a tradition in rural areas.

So i'm grateful for the postings as i had assumed hunting was universally acceptable in France.

timc17

It's b****y dangerous, cruel and anti-social. My neighbours (French rural hamlet) all agree and have "chasse interdit" signs around their fields and woods but the local chasse don't seem to be able to read! They all have to wear dayglow orange hats now but still manage to shoot each other.

No one can walk their dogs around here at weekends and on Wednesday. Every year there is a longer list of property that's out of bounds to the chasse in the local paper. They are not well liked!

Tim, get shot if you want, but leave your children at home!!

I have no wish to offend or upset anyone Zeb/Marzan.Hunting obviously raises passions in France as in the Uk but surely i have the right to try it for myself ? Should i not like it i will not do it again and recognising the dangers i will leave the children at home (as stated in my previous post).

This forum has given me a better insight into the pleasures/difficulties of living in France but i do wish people would express their opinions without the venom.

timc17

Hunting obviously raises passions in France as in the Uk but surely i have the right to try it for myself ?

Perhaps, as long as it doesn't affect others. That means doing it out of earshot of any residence and away from anywhere where others may be walking. Hunters around here don't do this. They don't even come close.

And this ignores completely the ecological aspect.

if not how can you say it is dangerous or is it perceived danger? I don' see how  one or two people walking through fields can be anti social.

Walking through fields isn't antisocial. Hunting is.

Hunters do their hunting in close proximity to houses (illegal). They shoot near roads (illegal). They damage phone lines as France Telecom will confirm. They also invade private land. On occasions I have had shotgun pellets fall in my garden and on my roof. They make a lot of pointless noise. All this is highly antisocial and is clearly very dangerous.

And I haven't even started on the ecological impact. Around here there is virtually nothing left alive for the hunters to shoot at. Thankfully this means that the number of local hunters has diminished by 75% in the last 10 years and is still falling fast. If only the remaining few would shoot each other the entire bunch of pathetic neanderthals could be forgotten. No one will ever miss a dead hunter.

I am with Mazan on this one.

Saying that hunters have been here before me or my other neighbours is saying that hunting is a tradition that should be accepted by "incomers" regardless of their own principles... It's always been done like this, it's the way things are done here... bla bla bla...

isn't it what used to be said about slavery (for instance) in the days of the civil war in America... yes, a strong comparison, but you get the drift...

Nothing changes unless people express their opinions.

Seen in today's paper: (translated)

Half of 203 hunting accidents recorded between Sept 03 and Feb 04 happened on a Sunday, traditional day for "battues".

To try and secure a safe day out for non-hunting people, ASPAS (Association for protection of wild animals) sent all MPs a cartridge box containing the following message: "Hunting also kills people". It is unconceivable that such a dangerous activity should still take place in public places.

Also in last week's local paper: the story of a 70 year old respectable farmer who shot a passing driver in the hand, whilst trying to kill a hare. He admitted having heard the car but thought he'd have time to shoot, knowing that by law he was forbidden to do so near a public road.

He was fined and as well as sent to prison for a few weeks and his licence was revoked for good measure.

The judge also said that this type of behaviour would encourage her to get the byelaws reviewd for the next hunting season.

[quote]Hello Hunting Is not dangerous. The number of accidents pale in comparison with road traffic and diy accident. If you disagree with hunting I suggest that the next time that you see a group of hunter...[/quote]

Hunting Is not dangerous.

Try telling that to the bloke who got shot in the hand!!

OK OK OK enough is enough. People give it a rest. I requested that all replies get sent to my e-mail, my in box is full to bursting. I appreciate the positive info i have recieved, albi many thanks, and i'm sure that all the negatives have given me an insight to how ex-pats view the french style of hunting. I will still hunt, irrespective of the many views posted. So people,please put this one to bed and give my in box a break. I bear no malice, Hugh Gibson.

I live in a lovely area, which I am frightened to take walks in because of the hunters. Sometimes it's a big group, with people stationed on the road, and signs to alert others. Sometimes it's just a couple of people as far as I can make out, doing there own thing in the woods. I hear gunshots all the time with no indication as to where the people who are doing the shooting are, or what direction they are shooting in.

Hugh, I appreciate the fact that your inbox is full, and that you now have received enough private messages (which you invited)about this topic.

As to continued discussion here on the forum though, I don't see how anyone can reasonably ask for a topic to 'end'. You may have started the thread, but you don't 'own' it.

tresco

I think what hugh means is that he started the thread to obtain information but this has now evolved into a pro v anti hunting debate which was not his intention.

Could i politely ask all the 'anti's' whether they have been on either a shoot in the UK or a hunt in France?

I have been to several different shoots in the UK and some were downright dangerous with the 'guns' holding a whiskey flask in one hand and a twelve bore in the other.I'm sure the same applies in France with some hunters being more respectful to walkers etc than others.

timc17

Could i politely ask all the 'anti's' whether they have been on either a shoot in the UK or a hunt in France?

What difference would that make? I don't need to go on a hunt in order to see hunters: I just have to look in the vineyards opposite my front door on any Sunday in winter (and my house is exactly 1km from a busy village of 4000+ inhabitants and 3km from a large town of 20,000+). Not exactly the forgotten backwoods of France.

I'm not interested in how nice or nasty they are, nor what their aftershave smells like or what nationality they are. I'm interested in the simple fact that they make a lot of noise in very close proximity to houses and also endanger the lives of the general public. They don't have the right to do either and that's an end to it.
No civilised country would allow this to happen.

[quote]I think what hugh means is that he started the thread to obtain information but this has now evolved into a pro v anti hunting debate which was not his intention. Could i politely ask all the 'anti's...[/quote]

Tim17 I realise it wasn't Hughs intention to start a debate, but one started. I wasn't getting at Hugh specifically with my comment, it irks me whenever anyone says 'that's enough of this discussion now'.

I suppose I am anti-hunting, and no, I have never been remotely interested in attending any sort of hunt. I don't have some sort of phobia that I need to expose myself to in order to desensitize me. I can happily watch the shooting etc when the Olympics are on, that doesn't bother me, I appreciate skill being demonstrated in many things I would not dream of attempting myself.

I  don't like the apparently chaotic way hunts here are organised, and yes I too have seen people swigging from small flasks, here in 17, and have seen the local hunt gather for their morning cognacs at the local bar. The 'go it aloners' terrify me, often they are in camoflage gear, you just can't see them.

Mostly, I don't like the fact that I am frightened of being shot. It happens, every year, and these injuries and deaths are wholly unnaceptable.

tresco

Two years ago we had friends staying. One of them is the sort of person who will just go off and do something, just get up and go. And he did, first weekend of the hunting season. He had told one of our other guests that he was going to have a mosey up in the woods, but they didn't mention it. We had a very anxious hour or so during his absence; we had no idea as to which way he had gone either. He had got into the woods when he heard shooting and fortunately decided that them there woods might be dangerous, so walked down to a track and had a walk along a public footpath instead. Which in itself was risky in the area he was walking in, but less so than the woods.

Our old neighbours were hunters. He was from a noble family. He only went out with the hunters in this village once, he said it was carnage. They would shoot at anything that moved and he had not enjoyed it. Maybe our local hunters are particularly bad, I have no way of personally knowing.

And what I did notice recently was that the hunters who were crouched next to a hedge were in their camouflage gear and none of those fluo strips I've noticed in other years, so their mates won't shoot 'em.........

The shops are full of food, if they weren't then maybe I would try and pot myself a rabbit for supper, but I can't see any point in it and wish that the countryside was free. A minority make it their private reserve, as us people of good sense, wouldn't dream of risking life and limb when they are out on their killing sprees.