World Cup togger

Miki

I once knew (he's dead now) the guy who had the job of keeping Paul Gascoigne on the straight and narrow in the Spurs Youth Team (I think - we'd been drinking). He reckoned that PG had the makings of a genius but his temperament was so uncontrolled that he would need strong characters with a strong moral sense and strict attitudes to manage him. Which is what he never had. Mind you, he is a bizarre sort of bloke with a surreal sense of humour. I hope that Rooney's handlers do a better job.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the Newcastle Youth Team, where he started out.  You must have been on the Broon.  Mr Gascoigne's club career stats courtesy of Wikipedia:

1984-1988

1988-1992

1992–1995

1995-1998

1998-2000

2000-2002

2004-2005
Newcastle United

Tottenham Hotspur

Lazio

Rangers

Middlesbrough

Everton

Burnley

Gansu Tianma

Boston United
107 (25)

112 (33)

47 (6)

104 (39)

48 (4)

38 (1)

6 (0)

4 (2)

6 (1)

I agree about Paul's character - hard not to like, but daft as a brush and very emotional - witness 1990 WC semi final tears.  End of 2005 Wiki says he was sacked as manager of Kettering Town.

I loved that team, Gascoigne ( my sympathy for his blubbing was short lived) , Pearce, Lineker even Southgate. I think they were the team that should have brought the cup home.

Then we had the 'sicknote' Anderton era with the Channel Islander waste of space, Graham Le Saux  and we should have done better this time if Sven had brought some of  the players that stayed behind.

What a complete waste of space that man is and yet we know he will walk into another good job.

Glad Beckham has given up the captaincy, I wish he'd step down altogether. I hope McClaren doesn't fall into the trap of continually building a team around him leaving better players to play out of position.

Rant over, I going to look at some pictures of kittens.

[quote user="Viv"]

Glad Beckham has given up the captaincy, I wish he'd step down altogether.

[/quote]

I hadn't heard that.  Any chance of digging out another Captain Fantastic like Bryan Robson?  Good Chester-le-Street lad!

[quote user="Viv"]

I loved that team, Gascoigne ( my sympathy for his blubbing was short lived) , Pearce, Lineker even Southgate. I think they were the team that should have brought the cup home.

[/quote]

Remember the Pizza Hut ads?  Or was that after another tournament failure?

Blimey Dick,

There's a name from the past. Ted played at Sutton (not far from

you) with a friend of mine, he went on to manage them, then Alan

Gane, (the friend) went on to manage them later on as well ! As you said, a nice, quiet man but tough on the field.

He was at Spurs with the youth team, right enough. Sometime on if I

remember, he had the managers job with the England U/18's

(incidentally, now run by another old team mate of mine, Brian Eastick)

Found this on the net:

"Ted was a top class amateur player in the late '60s

and early '70s, being capped for both England Amateurs and the Great

Britain Olympic team.

He was a wing-half for Sutton United and Wycombe Wanderers, strong

in the tackle and a good passer. He later managed both clubs.

He became a prominent coach, for The FA and later at Spurs at youth level. He also had a spell as National Coach in Malawi.

His finest hour, though, was that European Championship victory with the England Under-18 side in 1993. "

As I said, a very nice man, unassuming and a proper Corinthian.

Might have known that with Dick Smith, he'd trawl up a Sutton Utd man. Very bandy legged was Ted Powell. 

I used to watch the U's home & away in those years. A true 'chocolate & umber' man - or boy as I was then. Many years watching Corinthian Casuals, Walthamstow Avenue, Clapton Town, Hitchin Town, St Albans City, etc, etc.

Roffey, Bladon, Howard, Mellows, Pritchard (the most gifted), Dario Gradi (still at Crewe?), et al.

Alan Gane (to my memory) was never more than a substitute player (with the greatest possible respect to him). 

Hated Wycombe, with their sloping pitch: then went to live there.  It's now a the hospital car park.

Occasionally used to watch 'The Robins' (Carshalton Athletic, for those who mighn't know, but Dick will, cos he's on their doorstep).

Good times.       

Returning to the World Cup, I reckon that time will say that the loss of Owen (unfit, then crocked) was our biggest setback, over all the other things (Rooney's folly, midfield tiredness, Ericsonn's tactics).

Think of how many chances might have been converted had (a fit) Owen been 'sniffing around' in the box like a true striker?

Alan "Alfie" Gane followed me to CFC (a year later) we were both local

lads. He finished his pro career at Cambridge Utd He was certainly sub

in the 1969 Amateur cup final with Sutton and also played for Slough in

the 1973 final 1-0 defeat against Walton, goal scored strangely enough

by Roger Connel ex Slough Town and once a dynamic partner upfront

with  Keiron Somers (Sp) managed by what I and many others, always

reckoned was one of the best ever semi pro boss's, Allen Batsford. He

had a chap called Dave "Hary" Bassett with him in those days and they

both went on to Wimbledon FC (Dario Gradi connection there as well !!)

and indeed it was Allen who took them in to the pro ranks. That Slough

and Walton final was pretty bizarre, both sides knew each other so well

and all us players watching knew them all as well, making it an unreal

match, given that it was at Wembley as well !!

Alan also managed Wycombe town with great success as he did for 4 years

or so at Sutton before he lost his way a little. Nice man and a very

good friend.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]"Occasionally used to watch 'The Robins' (Carshalton Athletic, for those who mighn't know, but Dick will, cos he's on their doorstep)."

Used to live in Colston Avenue...
[/quote]

Bet you're wondering how I knew?

Ian, have to agree with you although crouch carried England thru stages and should've been given the chance with Rooney up front. The set up for Portugal was diabolical, he should have played a 4-4-2 attacking formation with Lennon to replace the ailing David Beckham. The 4-5-1 tactic was barely suitable for Ecuador and it was obvious,tho Ericcson failed to see that. The Rooney sending off was, in my opinion, brought about by desperation caused thru lack of quality supply to him and frustration at being outflanked by Portuguese. In fact Ericcson should've made the English midfield roll up their sleeves and do some work and supply the strikers with some quality balls, at the same time it would've given Gerrard and Lampard the room to work like they do with their respective clubs.

Now, that apart, being a Scot i enjoyed the fact that England are out ( English commentators really cheese me off ) although i do feel for the players individually, i feel that they are a gifted lot and generally honest, no diving, and deserve more success.

The time is now for France to blossom and go on to win their place in the final, with my support, hugh.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Ah! All is revealed - Wallington Boys!
Now the name makes sense. I'll have a look at the old class photos and see if I can remember the face - but posting a picture would make it easier...
[/quote]

Nope - you were younger than me and thus insignificant.  I've got the photos too and I reckon I know which spotty youth you were !!

I was in 6Arts1 & 2 with Peter Teed (?) as our 'Year Master'.  I think: memory fades. Anyway, good school, with plenty of amazing characters. I did Latin with 'Bert' Scotcher - learned more about the English language & and thus a help with my reasonable command of French) than with anyone else. 

It was Friends United that gave you away.  I checked up on you.

I actually want Germany to win because out of the four they are the only ones not to have cheated to get this far. Also for the german people who have been very friendly and welcoming  to everyone.

One thing that does amaze me is the apparent lack of public interest for France. No flags from cars or in shop windows - nothing.

Tim.

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

I did Latin with 'Bert' Scotcher - learned more about the English language & and thus a help with my reasonable command of French) than with anyone else.

[/quote]

Our first Latin teacher was "Mossy".  He liked to pick his nose and flick whatever he found at us.  When that failed he would throw the board duster at us.  Made quite a spectacular cloud of dust when it hit you.  Hurt if you got the wooden side on the head, though.  Our A level Latin teacher was called "Caesar" because of his peculiar coiffure which resembled a laurel wreath around his forehead.

[quote]

I actually want Germany to win because out of the four they

are the only ones not to have cheated to get this far. Also

for the german people who have been very friendly and

welcoming  to everyone.

One thing that does amaze me is the apparent lack of public interest

for France. No flags from cars or in shop windows - nothing.[/quote]

Exactly the same as when they were at home and won it. Barely anyone

in our region was actually showing outward interest until the semis and

then when they won their semi and reached the final, everyone was a

soccer supporter, even those I knew had said they were not interested

in football, as rugby or no sport at all was their preferance. Plus,

there were the racist comments, that it was only les noirs anyway !

I also want Germany (or Italy) to win but that's more a financial issue [;-)]

I think it will be a France - Italy final.  I'm sad the Germans went out though, I wanted them to win.  Everybody who's left now has cheated along the way.....

I'm not really bothered who wins now, but here in Toulouse they are being VERY patriotic.  If France win, there'll be no sleep for us if last week is anything to go by!  Fire works, yelling, screaming in the street, the lot!!

[:)]