Buying bikes

Llantony

We have ancient bikes in the shed that we're planning to use in the UK soon.  We're not serious cyclists but fancy having bikes in France when we go to live there in the summer. (Our  French house is in a bastide village but I thought of taking bikes to the canals!)

We were thinking of taking our bikes from the UK but perhaps it would be easier to buy some in France.  Are bikes expensive there?  Nothing fancy required.

Or find your local bike retailer who does a bit of 'hire' on the side.  He'll probably have a couple that he'd be willing to sell.

That's what we did - reasonable quality machines, well-maintained, and €85 each.

I hasten to add that we don't use them - far too energetic.  Kept for guests (like our sons!) 

I brought all our bikes (we are a household of 6) to France because cycling here is SOOOOOO much nicer.  Less hedgerows and more ditches so you can see for miles.  More respect from motorists.  Waves from committed French cyclists (who wear all the gear) as they sail past.

And English makes are a curiosity.  I have a Claud Butler and it draws crowds as I stop every hour at cafes for a breather and a pain au chocolat.

"And English makes are a curiosity."

We bought second hand bikes that had been checked etc. from a good bike shop in France. When we took one to a local repairers he was initially worried  in case it was a  foreign make and he would not be able to get the right spare parts etc. As it is a Peugeot there was of course no problem.

I have to say that if like Cathy we had had a stock of English bikes then we probably would have taken them with us.