Grand Prix

robkat

Great - new season just around the corner & hubby has booked a trip to Spa in September & hopefully Lewis will be well ahead by then. I then reminded him that we have a house in the Charente Maritime & could possible drive to Magny Cours.......Just wonder if any of you have done it under your own steam (not an organised trip). What's the parking like, & I would think that all roads leading to get fairly packed. Have heard that facilities i.e. food etc are not great there but would like to hear your comments.

Robkat

Good GP to go to. I worked for Bernie Ecclestone for a few years, and Spa was one of my favourites, but getting in and out was a nightmare!! Parking is minimal, but they did run a sort of park and ride system from the entrance just after Eau Rouge.

I believe, although I never used it, that there was another entrance that did a similar thing at the Stavlot/Malmedy side of the circuit. The last two years I worked there we stayed in a holiday camp, with log cabins, which was in Stavlot, but we used to get up about 4 in the morning to beat the rush in, and getting out was worse. Really good event though.

Magny Cours has more than ample parking, it's just that the place is in the mddle od no where, with NO hotels anywhere near. We stayed about 45 minutes north in Sancerre, which is fantastic! Magny Cours lacks atmosphere, it;s a bit sterile really, and I can sort of understand why Bernie Ecclestone wanted it moved (that and the fact he owns Paul Ricard where he's like the GP to be!!) In summary, if you choose Magny Cours, be prepared to drive quiet a lot when you get there!!

[quote user="f1steveuk"] Magny Cours lacks atmosphere, it;s a bit sterile really, and I can sort of understand why Bernie Ecclestone wanted it moved (that and the fact he owns Paul Ricard where he's like the GP to be!!)

[/quote]

Rumour is he's still pushing for Paris for 2010.....

I gave trying to work out what Bernie was thinking years ago! Ask for an insuctrial VCR (£85,000) and he's say "get ten". Ask for £30 petty cahs for stamps, and you'd wait six months and be given £10!

Paul Ricard has the advantages of weather, and an runway attached to it, but, as happened to Elio de Angelis, it's miles from anywhere if you need it. If I were going to pay money to go to a GP, I'd go to Budapest!

I've been to Spa also - definately one of the better races.  Stayed on a camp site close to Au rouge.  The entrance by Au Rouge has a good atmosphere in the evening - lots of bars and music.  Everyone just has a laugh together regardless of who you support.

I love going to Monza too it has a superb atmosphere and has the added bonus of being 45 minutes from where I work!

[:D]

In comparison to sports car racing and rallying, I don't.  But compared to most other sports (apart from dobbin racing), I do, if you get what I mean.  But I have to say that the dumping of traction control did make Oz more interesting.  One continues to have hopes that the good old days will return, and we'll get some overtaking back, so I still watch, just in case!