Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

I read this on the web this morning and wondered the same thing plod. If he doesnt get a start and deprived the Glaws of his talents then thats nigh on criminal. I saw him in Belfast in the opening Heiny game and he is something else. So cocky and full of confidence he is worth a watch just for that let alone his actual immense talent.

He must have Irish blood in him somewhere though [;-)][;-)]

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes raindog, a win. Maybe not a pretty one but a much needed win nonetheless. We looked dead and buried at half time but the lads grunted it out and Trimby popped over for a last minute try. With all the comings and goings in Belfast right now between our new coach Matt Williams, the caretaker Steve Williams and up to 18 contracts yet to be discussed, there is a lot of pressure on the lads right now and this season has done nothing positive for them. Maybe, I hope, this is the turning point.

On a different note, where was the iron fast psychological Glaws team last night. They were woeful. Sure Marshall had a brilliant game and controlled much of the backs play but all I could see were Glaws shirts handbagging. There was none of the decisive play we have been graced with so far this season. Maybe the lads are tired or something but that wasnt what I expected to see when I sat down to watch the match last night. Any news on the runner up slots yet ??? Plod - you awake yet. Sorry mate, I hope you guys nip through though.

Perpignan had a good game although attendance (9000 +) was down due to lack of Italian supporters. Looked like Treviso would make a comeback at the end of the first half with the score 15 - 13. Obviously a few words were said at half time because Perpignan let rip in the second half (scoring from the start) finishing at 55 -13. That included 8 tries so they got their badly needed bonus point.

I thought the Britz played a very good game with a great turn of speed resulting on a couple of really nice breakaways.  Durand was also very good and his try was excellent. I was not too taken with Percy who only offered to kick 3 times and missed one of them which was well withing his ability, quite different from the World Cup. Chris Cusiter came on in the second half and had a good game where as Nathan Hines just didn't 'sparkle'. Another very good nights entertainment for €11.50. Off to play the Dragons next but I don't think it will be a problem. If we can get a bonus point again we might be through to the next round.

Just watched Clermont beat Munster. Great match, but a bit of a shame for Munster who could've made a game out of it. Anyway they got the bonus point and if i'm not mistaken, will top their group. The last group games are next week-end, so we'll have to have a look at our fearless predictions for the quarters. [:D]

WTF are Leicester doing? Edinburgh beat them yesterday and they are now knocked out!

Congrats to UlsterRugby - did you watch the game? Must've been a cliff hanger!

With Lesley Vainikolo joining the England squad on the strength of "living in the country for 4 years" I just wondered what you lot thought about the rules of entry to play for "your country".

I was joking on another forum last year that, technically, I could qualify to play for Scotland because my gran was a scott. A scottish guy came back with the amusing reply that these days you could play for Scotland just by owning a Highland Terrier. [:D]

Personally, I think it's out of order and qualification should be limited to country of birth or nationality of parents.

Any comments?

I have mixed feelings on this but your suggestion would be a bit hard on somebody whose parents emigrated when they were young. Effectively, they'd find it very difficult to play international sport. Monty Panesar would have to play for India, for instance.

Y'aul dog yee!!! I pop in nearly every morning around 5:30 - 6:00 via my wee iPaq and before I head off to my labours. Ulster has been working the last 46 days without break (except for Christmas and Boxing Day - and very grateful for it too of course) and sleeps the rest of the time, hence the PDA online stuff so early. In Belshaft we would call you "a wee skitter" but sure its only a wee bit of craic.

I sent an email to Ashton asking if I could be considered too [;-)] - seriously though, when you look at the Welsh, Scottish and us we all have people who playing for us whose only national connection was that their mother knew a man who knew a woman who was the sister of a fella who was engaged to a lassie who bought a bus ticket from a Paddy once [:D][:D]

I think Vainikolo is just what England need right now. The ultimate heart on his sleeve merchant who can produce magic by the bag full and turn a game on his own. Pure rugby genius and thank God for him. As I have said previously, he lit a dreary Belfast night up like a firework display and the kids get such a lift from him too.

plod fear not - sometimes a wee boot in the rear end is the best tonic you could buy. I think the Glaws are still there and my money is well and truly still on you guys.

Oh and as for re-reading what we have written - in my last post I was so off the wall (with a wee Guinness thrown in too) I had it in my head that this was the last round of pool matches. Old age - wicked eh?

Fair weather fans - huh! I've been reading all the posts and occasionally posting too - but you're all way beyond me in understanding the game - so I tend to keep quiet!! and just observe. I'm a "I don't understand it but I know I like it" kind of girl - though I'm getting better!

Am going to Toulouse on Saturday for the Edinburgh game though, hoping for an impressive performance to finish it off nicely.

Perhaps one of you can explain how it works for the quarters - I gather some of the pool winners get home games - but how is it worked out?  What I really want to know is if Toulouse win their pool, will I get a home quarter to go to in April??!

Cheers

Lou

Ah that's better, a bit of action. Yes Lou, the teams that top their groups get the home games.

We'll do a round up of the quarter predictions at the week end and see who got closest. I know I put Gloucester, but I think all me others have fallen off the edge of the map. [:D]

Lou - don't worry about not understanding, it takes years. Even the commentators on the telly don't understand some of the ref's decisions exactly. And I was talking to a bloke not long ago who played rugby for years and he told me he sometimes spent whole sunday afternoons rolling  about in the mud without ever really  understanding what was going on! [:D]

I reffed for a number of years and there were times when I though that a ruck was just a free for all. You can only look for the obvious - killing quick ball, coming in at the side, lurking off-side. You need eyes everywhere. I have to say I sometimes wonder what the touch judges do - didn't one of them see Flannery trying to take Bonnaire's eye out? Another bugbear of mine, not always picked up by the refs are those players whose teams have control of the ball at a ruck but who don't bind to it but hang about alongside making tackles very difficult when the ball comes out.

C'mon Glaawwss!

Aye plod Flannerys stamp on Bonnaire was a disgrace and he should be given a hefty ban for it. This is ths side of rugby which demeans it. The Munster men deserved a bit of a thump as they are cocky wee sh**es.

Lou - as plod and raindog are indicating - forget the rules just run with the craic. Its the best game in the world (save golf and fly fishing) and if you enjoy it that is all you need to know. If you watch the refs in the Magners League you'll quickly understand that you know more than them anyway ;-))

plod what dya mean rucks arent free for alls. Your having a laugh surely.

Just watched Toulouse Edinburgh. My heart bled for the lads. Toulouse had the luck of the devil even if they were obviously the best team. First try came from a lucky bounce off their own f**ked-up line out. Third try from a lucky interception and fourth try from a blatant forward pass that the reff missed. 

still a good game tho' [:D]

It certainly was!!  The atmosphere in the Stade was terrific - near enough capacity I reckon.  I'm not sure how many Edinburgh fans there were but we Toulousains drowned them out big time!

Sadly I fear we have missed out on a home quarter final - by my calculations anyway (after studying the rules on the Heineken Cup website!) Unless (i think) Stade Francais and Ospreys go through top instead of Gloucester and Cardiff, which doesn't strike me as all that likely. 

Not that I'm an expert!!!

Lou

Thanks raindog!

But according to the ERC website http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/31_264.php

(I think I've made a link to it)

it says

"the Pool winner will be the Club with the highest number of match points earned in

each Pool. The runners-up will be the two second placed Clubs from all six Pools with

the next highest number of points. For the quarter-final round, the Pool winners will

be ranked 1 - 6 in terms of the number of points earned. The runners-up will be

ranked 7 and 8."

and then a bit further down

"Teams ranked 1 - 4 will have home advantage. The Quarter-Finals will be:

Team 1 v Team 8; Team 2 v Team 7; Team 3 v Team 6; Team 4 v Team 5"

So by my workings-out, Toulouse with only 20 points, although they top the group, won't be in the top 4 rankings for a home match.

Or have I got it completely wrapped round my neck?! Am quite happy to accept that I have, especially if I get a quarter final in Toulouse!

EDIT

Duh! Ok I've got it now - Toulouse get the home match!!! I think I was doing the maths wrong and including the two runners up before Toulouse because they did in fact get more points.......

Lou

Heini qualifiers:

Gloucester

Sarries

London Irish

Ospreys

Perpignan

Munster

Toulouse

Cardiff

I must say, the quality of play in the Heinekin Cup has become so good that I get more enjoyement out of it than the 6N.

Almost all cracking games imo.

No wonder the southern hemi is jelous.....[;-)]