Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heineiken again this week; unfortunately Gloucester are at Bourgoin which is about 350 miles from Albi. A win here and we'd be set up to get into the quarters I think. It would be very very nice if Ulster could beat Ospreys, wouldn't it?

Hi plod - I wish we could turn over the O's but with our performances thus far and all the stuff going on at Ravenhill, I very much doubt it. That said, I dont think you have to worry too much - I keep telling you (and you must believe me - honest ) the Glaws are semi final and probably final material. Here's hoping. We'll share a Guinness if they make it that far.

Gloucester still seem to be well on track after hammering Bourgoin and Glasgow beat Biarritz for christ's sake [8-)]

Great win from London Irish over Perpignan too, but look out for the return match next week-end!

Watched Leicester-Toulouse on the box. The commentators kept on about how the conditions favoured an English team. But it just looked like "rugby weather" to me. Couldn't tell the teams apart really as they were all the same colour.[:D]

Didn't see any rugby this weekend as, foolishly, I took the wife to Perpignan for a couple of days - lovely place. Gloucester are still going well and realistically we should win the group and get a home quarters tie. Some of the other pools are very close. Biarritz are not the team they were and Sarries should have beaten them. The Irish might make a losing bonus point at Perpignan. I hope that Ulster can take Ospreys out!

I don't think it was so much English team weather as the fact that Toulouse like to play/are best at a fast moving game - and when they're trudging through 6 inches of sticky mud it's not exactly fast-moving!

It was a tight one though - am going to Toulouse next weekend for the rematch - our Leicester Tiger supporter friends are also coming over - and reckon Toulouse will slaughter Leicester once they are at home. Plus the weather is forecast to be dry, cold and sunny - yippee!

Lou

Yes, Gloucester really are looking like THE team in the Heiny. Plod, do you know who Tom Walkinshaw played for?

My "fearless predictions" were Gloucester, Wasps, Clermont and Stade. Clermont aren't looking too good and Stade seem to have gone completely pear shaped. Toulouse looked a bit better last saturday. That was always going to be a tough game for Leicester but there was a twenty minute period in the second half when they really should've got a couple tries and I thought they would swing it, ah well, not to worry....[:)]

• 2 weeks later...

If you remember when Catt and Delaglio spoke out about Ashton, they were both having book launches. Could there be something in that, if you can excuse my cynicism. More book sales etc...............

I agree with keeping Ashton but it's the 2nd coaches I have a question over. They should IMHO be drafting in Shaun Edwards.

Don't worry, I share your cynicism about the release of the books at that time. [:D]

But I still think we should start from scratch. Nothing wrong with England's players, so why have we been playing so badly at an international level for 4 years? Got to be coaching and management imo.

[quote user="raindog"]So, we're sticking with this then......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7153485.stm
Can't say i'm thrilled. Some of the players spoke out against Ashton and the 2 coaches during the WC. Whether or not that was a good or bad thing to do, there must have been something drastically wrong for them to do it. Not the way forward in my mind.

[/quote]

If Ashton was not good enough to be head coach before (only managed second best/coach) how comes he is now or are the board grasping at straws? Perhaps nobody is stupid enough to take the job?

I wasn't aware that Tom Walkinshaw played at all; certainly not for the Cherry and Whites. Questions were asked about our staying abilities by Bath last Saturday in the mud. We need dry grounds as we have outstanding backs - to think once upon a time our backs were such lumps that they could have interchanged with the forwards. I hope we can get a losing bonus at Ospreys (if not a win!) and a four try bonus against Ulster (sorry!). Then we should get a home quarter - against whom? Sarries? London Irish? Clermont perhaps. 

Hmmm, done a quick google on TW and can't find any reference to him having played rugby - but I swear I read somewhere that he had. Oh well, just the onset of old age on my part I suppose. I first heard his name way back when he was running the Jaguar racing team.....

We Glaws fans are not sure about this. The chances are he won't be picked - bench maybe, and therefore we will be deprived of him. I'm not sure about the rest of the squad - Worsley, Cueto... what's Simpson-Daniel have to do to get a game?