Wasps

Gloucester

Stade Francais

(hope i'm not the only one doing this!)

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmmmm - much better display from Ulster in the first half. Second half I think we started to look at the fact that we might win this game and that would be a first for us. We have never won on French soil and it might have been in their heads. Also is the fact that Bourgoin fronted up  and wrecked our scrum and caused problems at the lineout too.

Glaws march on as predicted. So on that note, the votes from the Ulster side for the last four are:

Gloucester

Stade Francais

Leinster

Wasps/Clermont

(wee hedge betting there [;-)] ) although I think they might have a problem against Munster. The Munster and Wasps packs were very impressive against each other. Fantastic forwards game and Clermont might struggle against both of them, even with the likes of Smit on board.

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

(wee hedge betting there [;-)] )

[/quote]

LOL yes, you seem to have snuck five teams in there for the semis.....

Just watched Saracens f**k up big time. They had the game in the bag and tried to be clever in the last 2 minutes by diving into ruck after ruck to hang on till the whistle but they gave away three points instead. You could see it coming a mile away. All in all an exciting match tho.

Looks like Leicester creamed Edinburgh good and proper.

I, too, watched the Sarries game. It's all very well using up half a minute or so by keeping the ball in a ruck but not two or three minutes. They should have hoofed it into the corner and got Biarritz to run it back. I think Biarritz were there for the taking; they are not the side they were a couple of seasons ago. They have only scored two tries in all their games this season. The French commentator said that Yashvili was responsible for 82 per cent (!) of their points this season.

C'mon Glaaaawwwsss!

[quote user="plod"]

I, too, watched the Sarries game. It's all very well using up half a minute or so by keeping the ball in a ruck but not two or three minutes. They should have hoofed it into the corner and got Biarritz to run it back. 

[/quote]

Exactly......

Come on plod, let's have your predictions for the semis. (mind you, I already know one of  yours[;-)])

So far there's me, ulster and gardian

Wasps

Toulouse

Munster

Gloucester

There I've probably scuppered our chances now.

Wasps coming back to form. Toulouse have invested in lots of good players. Leicester always come strongly at the death. Stade Francais could come good when they get all their internationals back. To be honest I think it's wide open even trying to pick the last four!

So, my second ever Rugby match last night (Toulouse - Leinster) and what a match! I was a bit worried Toulouse wouldn't make it after the first half but they clearly got a good talking-to at half time and Leinster were clearly thinking about the beers afterwards or something.

Somebody (sorry can't remember who) asked about access to the stadium - in fact they use two - one is their "home" - Stade Ernest Wallon, which is where we were last night and the other is actually the football stadium by rights but they use it for big matches (like against Stade Francais and will be for Leicester too)  So I've now done both and think they're both good plus dead easy to get to as they're both just off the peripherique.  Parking not too difficult either - lots of on-street stuff only a few minutes walk way.

Stopped off at the shop last night and bought the scarf and the car sticker..................I'm seriously hooked!

I have to back the lads and say Toulouse will be in there at the end - don't know too many of the other teams, am trying to learn fast - but did watch Stade Francais get stuffed by Bristol yesterday, and after seeing Toulouse beat them in the Top 14 the other week too, they don't get my vote (besides, what's with the poncey pink flowers on their shirts??!!)

Lou

As one who had tipped Leinster I was bitterly disappointed to see them fall aside and roll over to Toulouse last night. Sadly, not that you guys care or even want to know, but the gameplan that was folloed last night has been etched out by Comical Eddie O'Sullivan. His master plan is all about using the 2 main Irish centres, being fed quickly (therefore flat passing) by ROBOT O'Gara and Peter SLINGER. Its great if no one else knows and you dont get intercepted or miss time your pass.

What you saw last night was a group of very skilled backs unable to think for themselves and incapable of ditching a failing game plan and running from the gut/heart. Criminal. IMHO - Toulouse were not any superior to the Leinster guys.

That said, Toulouse are in better shape then the pundits gave them credit. The nulified O'Driscoll, Darcy and Contepomi. They struggled with Kearney and Horgan gave them problems but outside of that I felt that they were rudderless (and that is the legacy of Comical).

Munster's pack, is the Irish pack - more or less - yet against Clermont - it destroyed them. The CA lineout was pathetic and Munster punished them for it.

The Bristol result was a surprise. I cannot ever recall seeing SF humiliated like that. Maybe its time to look at a new kit too.

Bottom line, for me at least, is that the Heiny is continuing to throw up the issue of the need for change of thinking from the IRB. All the teams who played over this weekend are stuffed with MINNOWS who are playing at the top level. Bring it on - open up the world of rugby. Love it [:D][:D]

WTF? [8-)]

"Mike Catt will have heard more than one mocking reference to

being a pensioner in rugby terms, but the joke is on his dressing-room,

touchline and media tormentors.

The London Irish fly half is living the dream most of the Western

world aspires to by not merely doing something he loves for a living,

but also by taking advantage of the Government’s little-known provision

that allows professional sportspeople to draw on a pension once they

are past their 35th birthday."

You do me wrong raindog [;-)]

[quote]Good sense prevails[/quote]

I wont argue with that. Pity they did it, but its done so move on.

I'd be concernd though that if England continue to leave body bags of failed coaches along the road, they might end up being viewed as in this article

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7107378.stm]Welsh High Body Count[/url]

England need to take time and chose a coach well.

[quote]Meanwhile, the IRB is set for further discussions over plans to introduce a so-called "world series" in an attempt to strengthen Test rugby.

Under the plan matches between the Six Nations and Tri-Nations teams, plus Argentina, would count towards an annual league ending in a Grand Final. [/quote]

This sounds more like the start of more things to come. Maybe, maybe not.

[quote]The forum also agreed that Argentina's future lies in the southern hemisphere, ruling out the possibility of the Pumas, who finished third at the World Cup, joining the Six Nations. [/quote]

I'm still not convinced about this. The largest proportion of professional Pumas play in the NH - here in France, the UK and Ireland. I rather suspect this may be the Tri boys trying to hold on to their SH superiority mentality and dominance (which as we have seen is no longer the case), especially in light of their equally dire performances both pre the RWC and during it.

[quote]However, the Argentina Rugby Union (UAR) made a commitment to have its players contracted to the union and for the majority of its players to be based in Argentina by 2012.

The forum agreed to assist Argentina to put in place pathways to get the players back to Argentina and to develop the next generation of home-grown Argentinian players, the majority of whom will hopefully play their top-flight rugby based in Argentina.[/quote]

Call me cynical, but who ultimately benefits from this

[quote]"The measures were formulated after 30 hours of robust and constructive debate over three days among the 90 delegates from all the major rugby stakeholders from all over the world," said IRB Chairman, Dr Syd Millar.[/quote]

Yeah I bet it was robust Syd. How much slabbering came from the 3 big boys trying to retain their "we are the best" slogan.

Cynical to the end me [:P][;-)]

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

The forum agreed to assist Argentina to put in place pathways to get the players back to Argentina and to develop the next generation of home-grown Argentinian players, the majority of whom will hopefully play their top-flight rugby based in Argentina.

[/quote]

Yes, that bit got me too. They seem to be dictating that they won't be able to play in Europe anymore. So where are they going to play? Their domestic league? The Argentine squad has improved so much BECAUSE most of it's in Europe!

[quote]Yes, that bit got me too. They seem to be dictating that they won't be able to play in Europe anymore. So where are they going to play? Their domestic league? The Argentine squad has improved so much BECAUSE most of it's in Europe![/quote]

Exactly. So who, ultimately, are the beneficiaries of all of this. I believe that its the Tri Nations who are ensuring their own existence. At international level, non of the 3 of them seriously displayed how superior they claim to be. Not meaning to be disrespectful to England, but no team was a class above anyone in this last RWC. Thats not also to take away from the Pumas, who truly deserve all their accolades, but not 1 team was out on its own and I believe this is now an established fact. The SH and the NH have very little between them (at International level). This is also supported by the amount of SH players now playing here.

So - why make the Puma's establish a 3rd sector. Its ring fencing them and its wrong. Open up the thing and let everyone have a crack at everyone else. It will open the game up, attract more supporter base, enhance the level of rugby from all the emerging nations and rid us of this them and us scenario which we are forced to live with.

Wow - where is my soap box ............[:$][:$]

Wilko on about his sprained ankle during the WC.........

"
How bad was that right foot? I hit two kicks with my right foot in the final

and, I think, two more dropped-goal attempts earlier on. In practice, in an

average session, I would normally hit 100 to 120 kicks right-footed, but in

France I hardly hit any.         

That was really disappointing, it immediately takes so much out of your game.

But added to that was that I did not find it easy to change direction off my

right foot or to be explosive as a runner. And because you do not feel

comfortable with it, that goes out of your game; all of a sudden you don’t

want to take people on one-on-one.

Obviously England were playing a game that was tactically tight. Even despite

that, I felt I was stripped of the options to play an instinctive game.

There were times when I looked at the video afterwards and would see gaps

that I had not taken and that at other times I hope I would."

If he was that bad, why was he bloody well playing?  [8-)]

Well OK, but name me a 10 who really did the biz during the RWC.

I think that we might look back and say (however enjoyable it was on occasions) that this was a below-par competition in terms of the quality of play from the leading sides.

Let's have a belated vote: player of the tournament.  For me, Pichot, because he lifted an above average side to one that got pretty damm close.

p.s. bet that UR99 doesn't vote for 'PS' [6]

Flip me Gardian, I hate mind games. Give me a clue who you mean by "PS" for your surely dont mean Paul Sackey and he is the only PS I can think of. Sackey was good but not worthy of the award "Player of the Tournament". I'd not really disagree with Pichot, but while I'd stay with the Pumas for choice I'd opt for Contepomi. All round superb performance and not just in his playing ability. His grit and determination, his leadership by example, his tackling was that of a No8 and not of a centre but his tactical brain was flawless. Just look what he did to Ireland.

Others worth a mention, Mark Regan, Nick Easter, Smit, Montgomery and very high on the list is Habana. Gomarsall had a great world cup too.

[quote]I think that we might look back and say (however enjoyable it was on occasions) that this was a below-par competition in terms of the quality of play from the leading sides[/quote]

is my point exactly. The top teams (usually referred to as the Tri Nations followed by England, France, Ireland and so on) were dire. South Africa were the best of a bad bunch. But, Gardian, this has been the trend for quite a few years and is why I argue that the IRB must make large, and radical, changes. Bring together the 2 hemispheres. Stop this separatist approach to the one game and open it up to the entire rugby world. Obviously in a controlled manner. Just take a glance at the 6 Nations domestic squads. Take away the SH and Argentian players and you would have a lot of gaps in those squads. So why keep the 2 apart at international level and why allow the Tri boys to maintain the myth that they are the best. Its rubbish, you know it and for the 4th/5th year on a trot we've seen it.

Okay - I'm putting my soap box away - honest [:$][:$]