Consumer advice

Mrs Trellis

Funny, I thought I'd posted this but it seems to have vanished. 

I did post before but have another question.  We bought a loft ladder, correctly installed it and used it a handful of times.  My husband was descending from the loft and the ladder fell apart.  He fell to the floor and was shocked and bruised but luckily not seriously injured.

I still haven't found the courage to return to the shop and a friend recommended 'service consommateur' which he said was a government organisation for consumers and retailers tend to be frightened by!  The link he gave me isn't clear, it asks one to register but then screwed up my user name.  The phone number on the page seemed to be Que Choisir but no-one answered anyway.  I've a feeling we'd have to pay a fee to join UFC Que Choisir before they would give us advice.

We found the ladder was only held together by plastic bits so really not fit for purpose.

I was always under the impression that it was usual to give the shop the opportunity to get things right before going to a consumer association. I know that - it being France and all - there's a better than evens chance you will ultimately have to try tougher measures, but surely the first point of contact should, if only to give them a chance to react favourably, be with the shop?

I don't know because when I clicked on the link it said 'We are unable to ship Loft Ladders outside of Mainland UK'

Yesterday we went to Leroy Merlin and the ladders had a different brand but looked very similar.  Maybe they are all made the same way these days - it's a few years since we bought one in England and that lasted years. 

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]

I don't know because when I clicked on the link it said 'We are unable to ship Loft Ladders outside of Mainland UK'

Yesterday we went to Leroy Merlin and the ladders had a different brand but looked very similar.  Maybe they are all made the same way these days - it's a few years since we bought one in England and that lasted years. 

[/quote]For the benefit of those like Mrs Trellis who are unable to open the link it referred to Screwfix recalling loft ladders because of an isolatedproblem with the block joining sections of the ladder. They were recalling all ladders manufactured between two dates even though only some ladders were affected.

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Mrs Trellis"]

[/quote]For the benefit of those like Mrs Trellis who are unable to open the link it referred to Screwfix recalling loft ladders because of an isolatedproblem with the block joining sections of the ladder. They were recalling all ladders manufactured between two dates even though only some ladders were affected.[/quote]

I had to click on "switch to UK mode" in order to get the message mentioned.

Screwfix and others do sell the wooden ladder in hatch French type of loft ladder, not sure whether the ones they are recalling are that type.

The problem with the OP's ladder especially her husband falling from it certainly sounds like it warrants a recall but given the difference in cultures I suspect they will get nothing more than a shrug of the shoulders.

So far, I got an email reply saying they were very sorry etc. and telling me to email another Lapeyre address, which emailed saying they were passing my request for a refund to the supplier.  Nothing more so far and with 2 Bank Holidays, the weekend......

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]

[/quote]

The Screwfix ladder is model LT-304 manufactured by SFD Limited

Paul

If you are correct in your judgement that the ladder was not fit for purpose due to its construction, you are unlikely to be the only customers who have had this issue. I've never had any problems returning goods to DIY shops in France and Leroy Merlin seem to me to be the most customer orientated of all of them.

If you don't have the receipt but paid by card, the accueil may be able to print a copy of the receipt using the card details, I know from experience that Castorama can do this (from the card receipt in my case) for a nearly two year old purchase.

Good luck,

Steve

Well, I was asked to phone and now a technician is going to visit next Wednesday.

I would think the cost of sending someone, probably quite a distance, would go a long way towards the cost of the ladder!

Not sure if it's the model that has been recalled by screwfix as we've not noticed any marking.