Scuba divers in 24ish?

I know it's in land a bit, but............

I wondered if there are any Scuba divers in the area of St Cyprien, Belves, Sarlat, who might be able to help us.

After

a few years, the properties of  chlorine has made the bottom drain

cover go brittle, and it's started to break down. I've got a new one,

but none of the people I know can stay down long enough to undo the two

screws and change it. It's such a small job, that to even half empty

the pool is a bit over the top, but if there is someone with a weight

belt, and a small cylinder, it would take all of a minute to do!!

So if anyone fancies a free lunch in exchange for 2 minutes diving, drop me a line!!

No problem at all at that depth or length of pipe, the deeper you go the harder you have to suck as the water pressure squeezes your chest, the longer the supply pipe the more stale air will build up in it as you exhale.

There is no danger of suffocation, the "diver" will quickly stand up once it tastes stale.

I used to use a snorkel with a long length of garden hose when spraying 2 pack paint but did encounter stale air problems so I switched to feeding a visor with air from a diaphragm compressor.

At 1.5 meters of depth you will not be needing such things.

Before you ask, I am  a qualified diver [:)]

A 20mm pipe 1.5 m long contains roughly 0.5 litre adult lung capacity is roughly 4 litres so there is unlikely to be a stale air problem unless you take longer than this thread to unscrew your two threads [:D]

It is difficult to use a snorkel more than 6ft as the increased pressure, roughly 1.5 bar makes the lungs difficult to work. If the pool were deeper I would not have suggested using a snorkel for safety reasons but working a arms length minimises the depth and as standing up is possible its reasonably safe.

[quote user="teapot"]

It is difficult to use a snorkel more than 6ft as the increased pressure, roughly 1.5 bar makes the lungs difficult to work. [/quote]

I think that you must have misplaced your decimal point, 1.5 bar equates to a depth of 49.2 feet and at that pressure "difficult" would not be the word to describe trying to take breath [:-))]

To the OP, enough of this pontificating, , just put on your facemask, take a deep breath and get on with it, when you need to breath, put your foot on the plate and stick your head out of the water, - I hope that you are not a dwarf [;-)]

No diver is going to drag out his kit for a job a simple as what you have to now avoided doing when he could simply do the above.

1.5 metres is the depth I was told, breathing became difficult down a pipe, it's not the depth of the drain! The drain is at the deep end of the pool which I would guess is 8 feet (in feet as I'm trying to remember who stood that end on the bottom and how much clearance there was above his head!!). My fault, I'll go and stand in the corner..............

[quote user="f1steveuk"]1.5 metres is the depth I was told, breathing became difficult down a pipe, it's not the depth of the drain! The drain is at the deep end of the pool which I would guess is 8 feet (in feet as I'm trying to remember who stood that end on the bottom and how much clearance there was above his head!!). My fault, I'll go and stand in the corner..............

[/quote]

Ah, it all becomes clear now........[Www]

Yes it does become difficult but not impossible if you know what to expect, it is rather like having an asthma attack, you need to breathe longer and harder, even at 2.4 metres you should give it a go, try just sitting calmly on the bottom to acclimatise.

The physiological effect is similar to breathing at altitude or breathing through a dust mask its the physchological feeling of chest tightness that makes people panic and surface.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"][quote user="teapot"]

It is difficult to use a snorkel more than 6ft as the increased pressure, roughly 1.5 bar makes the lungs difficult to work. [/quote]

I think that you must have misplaced your decimal point, 1.5 bar equates to a depth of 49.2 feet and at that pressure "difficult" would not be the word to describe trying to take breath [:-))]

[/quote]

Sorry JR, double checked before posting

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_depth_affect_water_pressure

Which is wrong, as you corectly state its 10m / bar, a bit rusty me thinks.

Agree OP should get on with it, if it is 2.4 metres don't forget to clear your ears or you may hurt an ear drum 

We had a simliar problem with the cover on the drain at the deep end (1.5m). OH (a not-particularly-confident swimmer) insisted that he'd rather do the job than have me (a diver) do it. He managed with the hose-and-snorkel thingy absolutely no problem. He did use my diving weights (waist and ankle) and goggles, after attempting without weights and finding he couldn't keep still enough for long enough to do the job. The breathing part was no problem.