sailing in the Med.

Patf

Has anyone any experience of this?

A friend of ours has a boat moored near Marseilles which he needs to move to a different berth near Perpignan. He has aked Eddie to go with him to do this. Eddie has some sailing experience, and a basic qualification, but has never sailed on open sea. I don't think our friend is a qualified skipper, but he's hoping to get someone french who is to come with them.

Wondering if there's any advice, and how long the sea journey is likely to take.

Eddie is very keen to do it, but slightly apprehensive.

Hi Patf

Some years back we sailed over to France from the UK. We were told that in order to sail around the french coast or to enter the rivers which we wanted to do, that we must have an equivalent qualification to the french one (can't remember what that is now) so we both signed up with the RYA and took our competant crew, day skipper and coastal skipper exams in order to cover ourselves. You only need one qualified person aboard so if your friend doesn't have the qualification then he needs someone that does (possibly a necessity of the insurance cover). Quite often the newly qualified want to knock up sea hours in order to get the offshore exam and are willing to help for free meals on board depending on how long the journey takes which I can't help you with. They advertise in the marinas so could be worth a look.

Chris

I have a couple of friends who do just what knee gel describes (ie they are properly qualified and get free sailing hols by skippering other - less able - people's expensive yachts around the world.)  Nice work if you can get it!

If your friend gets really stuck then I can put you in touch with them if you pm me.

Thanks to both for the replies.

It now looks as if our friend with the boat will need to spend a bit of time checking it out, and all the equipment, before he goes to sea. It isn't a flashy modern boat, and he has never sailed it, so doesn't know even if it's seaworthy.

Will bear in mind your suggestions though.

I half considered offering a hand until you mentioned the 'doesn't know if it's seaworthy' bit!!!

I've done a fair bit of open water cruising though not in the med (Canaries, up to Madeira and back plus racing round Danish coastlines). I reckon your friends best plan is to hug the coastline, do it in two days with a stop around beziers. I think it's around 180 miles from Marseille to Perpignan (very roughly), you could probably expect around 5 knots from the boat, which means about 36 hours of sailing.

Stay in sight of land, inform the coast guard of the intended route and ensure your friend has a safety package on board. Ensure flares are in date.

Thanks for the advice, RicandJo.

Does your comment come from your bitter experience with the campervan Wooly?

The thought had crossed my mind too.

But I've been told not to look on the dark side - everything's going to work out fine, and the two of them are quite capable of completing the voyage successfully [:D]

We've now seen pictures etc of the boat, and it's a different one from the boat he first showed us. Very smart and well equipped. And engine etc overhauled recently. So not so worried now.

By the way, I'm a bit disappointed not to have input from a few people who were writing about sailing in another thread (MP's expenses) - mentioning no names [:D]

• 2 weeks later...
Just to update - Eddie and his friend got home safely, but absolutely exhausted. The voyage took about 3 days.

Just after they left Hyeres, and were out at sea, a coastguard helicopter radioed them and told them to stick to the coastline/islands. Skipper tried to go out again and a motorboat came speeding up and told them that part of the ocean was "interdite." Something to do with preserving a natural habitat.

They saw a huge shark at one point.

Anyway the boat is safely moored now at Port-Laucate.