The Ashes

Joe

I was going to reply to this yesterday, but didn't want to speak too soon!  Would have been happy to have woken up this morning to something like 300-5: as it is, worst case looks like a draw in this match.

Apparently all the Aussies had gone home well before the close.[:D]

A pity for KP rain stopped play , will Straus declare overnight and get the Auss in as there is more rain forecast.

The 11 o'clock highlights are doing me in as I stay up and watch them then it's on the radio when I go to kip.....[:)]

Excellent cricket.

Charlie.

If I was the Captain I would call them in after a few overs.Play the physcoligy game,do anything to keep them guessing.You are right about the late nights.I normally watch the first hour.

Lets hope the weather holds of and we win.That will put Pontin under pressure.Great I say!

The England/South Africa team is playing with far more confidence - sending in the openers for just the 1 over before end of day would have been unheard of at one time.

But the series has not been won yet, nor has the match for that matter. An overnight declaration will allow the English bowlers plenty of time to get them out and the weather will play its part.

John

I stayed up till 01.30 (French time) when the Aussies were 7 wickets down.

Although there was no luck involved in the win (and to be fair, the Aussies aren't moaning), it appears that we just scraped through with the weather.

The only caveat for the remaing 3 matches is that the Aussies can't be as bad as they've been so far.

With everybody wearing the same colour you might be excused for thinking the teams have been interchanged, as the Aussies are in the same position as England were the last time around out there. I am almost...only almost...feeling sorry for Ricky Ponting.

They (Australia) are dropping catches they never did before, only one batsman in an innings seems to be able to score runs and the bowlers cannot seem to hit a decent length, unlike McGrath who seemed able to do it with every ball.

I am just enjoying it while it lasts. Let's hope that it does at least for the next 3 tests.

Pity though the England team don't have some inspiring nicknames like Typhoon (Tyson) and Fiery Fred (Trueman) which might generate some interest in the game from schoolboys.