Local Elections

Lehaut

I had an attestation that I had been entered on the list and now a carte, neither say anything about ID but I can understand the need.

I am going to have some fun with this though and not take my passport, the post office have given up trying with me now and just hand stuff over, everyone knows who I am and nobody could pass themselves of as me except maybe a Spanish cow [:P]

Think that I will take my old and tatty non photo bearing drivers license!

Because when they ask for my carte d'identitie I will have to go through the rigmarole of explaining that I dont have them, they dont exist in other countries like mine and watch them go into cerebral overload, then when they are at a low ebb I will say will my permis de conduire do?

They will look relieved and then perplexed when presented with something that even a young UK copper would not recognise and that doesnt carry my photograph.

But they will accept it though [:)]

Why do I bother you ask?

Because the day I stop making fun of and accept the farcical situations will be the day I must move on.

It came up at our last council meeting for my current mandate. There is no obligation in France to have an ID card. For the elections a photo ID (Carte Vitale with photo, driving licence with photo take 50 years ago for example) is the only acceptable ID. If there is a "controle" and this has not been followed to the letter, the whole election at that village is void!! I know what we are going to do and its the first time I have found myself voting for a "toleration" otherwise we will have to turn away people and they will not come back.

Sorry, a bit off topic but.......

I would like to vote at the forthcoming local elections having never been brave enough before. I think I remember that Norman quite recently posted on this topic and how to register, could someone please point me in that direction?