What to unscrew???

When we moved into our current house there was NOTHING.  No light bulbs - no light fittings come to that, although there were a few live wires poking out of the walls.  No loo roll holders, no shelves............you get the idea.

What I want to know is, what do most people consider reasonable to take with them when they move out?  Should we plan that we will take the wine racks (currently screwed to a wall)? Shelving in garage?  Light fittings?  Curtain poles?  At this stage we don't know what will be in whatever new house we find.[:)]

Chrissie (81)

When we were selling in France the notaire made it clear that a minimum had to be left, I took it that the rules had changed as I had heard of stories such as yours in the past. We in fact were going to leave all the light fittings and lamps and all the curtain poles and had it duly marked on the paperwork.

You can take all the removable fixtures and fittings though and we took the wine racks and a couple of shelves, but we left lots of the other things.

I would contact the notaire and tell him that the place had been with dangerous exposed wires. In fact I would have been on the phone that day or in to see them immediately.

We've always acted the same in France as we did in the UK ie all fixtures are left (included in the price) unless we specified otherwise at the outset. I'd always leave light bulbs etc.

When we were selling our first French house the notaires assistant told us to take all light fittings making sure we cut the wires too short to re-use as that's what had happened to her. I think (hope) she was joking!

In the last 'compromis de vente' that I checked on behalf of English buyers, the Notaire included a specific clause headed 'Vendor's obligation to maintain the property in the state it was when viewed by the purchaser' followed by a long, indicative list of items that were not allowed to be removed without agreement between the two parties. The list included curtain rods and rails, door handles, fittings inside cupboards (mirrors, hanging rails, shoe racks etc), fixed shelving, all sanitary and heating equipment, radiators, blinds/shutters, water softeners, garden furniture (fixed), plants, trees, shrubs etc; external TV aerails; specific mention of light fittings - had to be left at least with sockets and bulbs.

The second part of the clause expressly forbade any alterations to be carried out and an obligatiion to maintain the property in good order, including repairing any damage that might occur for example when the vendor was in process of moving out. The liquid gas tank was three-quarters full and the buyers allowed to take this over without cost.

The buyers had the right to re-visit the property before signature of the 'acte finale' to ensure that eveything was in order and had cause to pull out or re-negotiate if the above clause had been breached.

From the above, it is clear some Notaires are being pro-active in intervening and I would recommend having a similar clause included for protection of both buyer and seller.

P-D de R.  

[quote user="ericd"]I guess it all depends on how well you do on the sale ....or not. If the buyers have been rats and screwed you down on price big time, I guess I would take my stock of wood along with me..........[/quote]A property is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If you don't like the price you are offered, don't accept it and hope you get a better offer later. It's your choice.

Our french sellar was the complete oppersite , leaving everything from furniture to telly, ordements, cutlery in the drawers, microwave, even a dirty pair of mens pants down the back of the sofa..!!!!

We think they just locked up and walked out

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="ericd"]I guess it all depends on how well you do on the sale ....or not. If the buyers have been rats and screwed you down on price big time, I guess I would take my stock of wood along with me..........[/quote]A property is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If you don't like the price you are offered, don't accept it and hope you get a better offer later. It's your choice.[/quote]

Oh really....conduct a survey of Brits having sold their house "under duress" because they HAD to go back to the UK where the buyer might have taken advantage of the situation. yes they might have had a choice to sell or not but I believe many didn't.

I like the idea of P-D de R's clause - am going to make a note of that and then we will all know where we stand.  I also always like to leave my house clean for the new people but almost invariably find the one I am moving into is in a pretty dire state.  You really need a 24-hour cleaning service to come as part of the moving package!

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="ericd"]I guess it all depends on how well you do on the sale ....or not. If the buyers have been rats and screwed you down on price big time, I guess I would take my stock of wood along with me..........[/quote]A property is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If you don't like the price you are offered, don't accept it and hope you get a better offer later. It's your choice.[/quote]

Oh really....conduct a survey of Brits having sold their house "under duress" because they HAD to go back to the UK where the buyer might have taken advantage of the situation. yes they might have had a choice to sell or not but I believe many didn't.

[/quote]Don't get me wrong! I do feel sorry for people that are genuinely under duress to sell, but while property hunting in France this year I have seen several properties where the seller is asking an unrealistic price compared to other similar properties in the same areas. Don,t they realise there has been a significant fall in property prices in the last 2 or so years. Just because they haven't been able to to take advantage of the buyer does not give them the moral right to remove things that should have remained.

It's 10 years since I bought and it sounds as if things are changing, but I certainly moved in to a shell. The light fittings had gone as had the wood burner and all the storage heaters. The annoying this is, she probably got 200 francs for the stove at the local Troc.... I had to pay 3500 to buy a new one in a hurry (It was very very very cold when I took possession) . If she had said something I would have happily paid a bit extra to leave the heating.