Exporting english bought plants

Nicos

Sorry if this subject has already been covered but  I wondered

what the situation is with customs for taking a potted plant (fruit

bushes etc) into France?

I know when I wanted to bring a potted vine back to England, I was

informed it had to have a licence- what happens the other way round??

Ooh errr - I think I'm a criminal.  I took a vine and a peach tree the last time I went to England and no-one said anything!!  We bought all house plants and one or two garden things coming this way.  I phoned Defra (or whatever it was called then) and they said no problem.

For coming into UK you used to have to complete a Phytosanitary certificate whch just  said what the plants were and where they were to be kept. The idea was that the Min of Ag and Fish could go and take a look, Don't think they ever did though so probably the whole thing has been dropped now

Good site Cassis!

Gave them a ring and the only restrictions are exporting

Vibernum,Rhododendron,Azalea and Camelia to France because of the oak

death (?) disease they carry. Other than that she said free movement of

all fruit, veg and garden plants in both directions ( even spuds which

I thought were restricted)

I'm looking forward to moving some of my allotment plants out to the

new house in France and would have been really annoyed with myself if

they were confiscated!

Thanks for your help!![:)]

I,ve just been sent a packet of purple loosestrive seeds. I've noticed them by rivers here. Looking up information  I find that it is a notifiable plant in USA, Canada because it is so invasive. If I put it around my pond will it go mad and take over my small but much loved garden. Am I allowed to plant it in France.

Suggest you phone the number I did- they might be able to tell you.

If they are growing wild anyway, then you you're not introducing a problem cos it's already there!!

Of course it may be a slightly different type which you have bought??

Can you contain the roots to prevent it spreading??? ( and remember to deadhead!)

I have been informed as a pro grower of herbs that the only plant I can't grow is hemp, the smoking kind, every thing else is allowed however there are only 35 medicinal plants that after growing can be dried and sold openly. You will have to control it as you do mint and tansy.

Mel

Purple Loosestrife is a common weed in the UK - it fills the air with clouds of fluffy seeds in summer and covers the ground inches deep in places.  Each plant produces millions of seeds - I'm not exaggerating!   It grows wild in France as well under the common name "Salicaire commune".  But why would you want to plant it?  As already asked.