Dispute with SuperU

Sharkster

Hi,

I recently rented a van at night from SuperU. When I returned it next day there was a scratch on it. They claimed I had caused the scratch but I dispute this, but due to me signing a contract they demanded I pay for the repairs. I initially refused but after the threat of police action, I agreed to pay. I have tried to escalate the complaint to the Head Office of SuperU but since they are all independent franchises, they cannot get involved. Any ideas what steps I can take to try and reclaim this money.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Was the scratch marked on the paperwork when you picked the van up? There should be a form filled out at collection where all existing damage is noted. If the scratch wasnt on this form, then you are screwed. From their point of view, the van went out clean and came back damaged - therefor you are responsible for the damage. Even if it wasnt caused by you it happened while the van was under your care.

In theory, that particular van should have a log of all previous rentals and maybe the scratch is noted on an older form, but the chances of SuperU letting you see those forms is less than zero unless they know for a fact that the scratch is NOT noted, then they will use that as further evidence against you.

Last time I rented one I had to edge it through some low hanging tree branches, which left a series of scores down the paint. 10 minutes with some white "scratch remover" polish covered it enough to pass inspection when returned and become someone elses problem.

ALWAYS be very thorough when you check it out at collection and make sure even the slightest mark is noted, inside and out. Then when you return it, make sure they sign it off as being in acceptable condition.

Last time I hired a car there was damage noted on the form on the lower lip of the boot. I couldn't see any damage and remarked on it to the guy handing over the car. He replied that people often slightly scuff the lip lifting baggage out of the boot so they mark it damaged anyway to avoid any dispute!

My local Intermarché operate a well known scam whereby the T&C's that you sign give fixed extortionate forfaits for damage including wing mirrors, bumpers, wings and more importantly the roof, it also says that you must return the vehicle filled to the brim or you will get another penalty forfait, they say to avoid this fill up at the nearest filling station which is their one right beside.

What they dont tell you is that there is a height restriction at the filling station that will scrape the roof of their box vans.

When I hired I insisted that they came out with me to witness the condition of the vehicle, they were really unpleased, became angry and aggressive but sadly that is common place here, there was no spare Wheel in the van and they said that I was not allowed to note that, I did anyway and made them sign it, after checking the bodywork  I then climbed on the front Wheel and looked at the roof, it was scratched and dented from front to back and the  multiple damage was rusty showing that it had been unrepaired for at least a couple of years, when I noted this on the form the person was incandescent, refused to sign it themself, said it had to be a supervisor, one wasnt available etc.

After sorting that out by a stand off at the Customer (non) service desk when I drove off in the van a warning buzzer sounded continually after 25 metres and the brake warning light was on, it did this every time, the master cylinder had only a drop of fluid in the bottom, did they give a feck? Did they ever, they were all trying to avoid me now, no they werent going to do anything about it, it was safe, everyone else used it like that without complaining, why is it they always get grief from foreigners etc, I took a tin of brake fluid from their motor section and they said that I had to pay for it [:-))] I told them "allez-y, faites votre mieux" and walked through the tills with it.

The worst was on my return, trying to fill up at another station where I wouldnt scratch the roof and where their security cameras would not give them the evidence my card was refused because they had pre-autorise €1500 wiping out my balance despite assuring me that no money would be taken from my account[:(], on this last point they were technically correct but probably in their ignorance.

It was an early lesson in what to expect of this part of France.

10 years on despite my formal complaint to the DGCCRF they still have "Louez-Moi à partir de €15" plastered over all their large vans whereas its the half day tariff for une voiture de tourisme that they dont even rent, the cost for the vans even the smallest is a lot lot more.

Normally I try my best not to judge people by their own morality, in the case of shops around here I make an exception, I take the same view that they do of all their customers, "their sole purpose is to rip me off"

Thanks for your responses. When I rented the van it was both dark and raining. There was no damage noted down when I rented it and the person who checked the vehicle did so with a little torch and did not give me an opportunity to look over things myself. So do you think I have an recourse?

[quote user="woolybanana"]To be honest, Sharkster, you don't. If it aint marked on the bit of paper you are stuffed.[/quote]

Caveat Emptor, Mrs teapot is the 2, and 3rd pair of eyes when I have hired, it could take an additional 15mins before we leave as she checks everything and that above is the example of why. Hiring at night is especially iffy unless equipped with a decent flood light area.

All I can add Sharkster is if you intend to hire get an insurance policy Insurance4carhire  They paid out quickly on a damaged tyre (not normally covered under hire co's insurance BTW)  The frog gits down the road tried to get away with €220 for ze special size (Peugeot hatchback) common size tyre but it want back to the hire company with the safety spare on it (Hertz)  and they only charged €70 for the tyre!

Had a problem with a company at Blagnac airport when all the work was being carried out. Twice when I arrived late at night, there was no lighting where the car were parked so could not really inspect them. In the morning far more damage than listed so visited a local branch of the company to where I was, leapt up and down and they added the damage. It hertz me to think that twice they tried to rip me off.

Go in to hiring a vehicle with the mindset that they have turned ripping off the customer into an art form. In addition, for not much money do as Dave suggests get cover from one of the insurance providers so if the car does get damaged you do not.

While you are not in a strong position Sharkster, I would advise to hold your ground for now.

I had a similar claim from Europcar UK who claimed that I had scratched the lip of the boot of a hire car. This was a company hire and I could just have accepted it, but I was sure I had not dragged anything over the lip of the boot. (I only had hand luggage) I therefore requested photographic evidence of the damage. None was forthcoming, but I received a second mail suggesting they were going to charge my account ( company credit card) with €600 for the damage. I wrote back that they had provided no evidence of the damage, and suggested that under UK law fraud was a serious crime.

I heard no more.

As said you are not in a strong position, but hang in there until it is clear there is no way to win. Make life difficult for them, make them work for their repair cost.

• 1 year later...
I hope you got somewhere with your complaint - but i suspect you received just the equivalent of the Gallic shrug. I have been renting cars from Super U in Taninges for 4 years now and whilst it is a useful service their prices seem to rise each year so that it is often cheaper to rent from Geneva Airport. Like car hire companies there, this March they stung me for winter tyres despite there being no mention on the website of an additional payment. Why you would want to rent a car to someone in the Alps in winter without snow tyres i don't understand and when i rented in January and February there was no surcharge. Despite asking and speaking to the manager, i just got the shrug. I subsequently dropped my plan to spend €300 odd euros on shopping there. I also now plan to drive over and leave a car out there. Why car hire companies keep disguising their charges, i don't know.

Hi Alpsman,

Our first home in France was in the Haute Savoie.

We would frequently fly into Geneva airport but would always, without exception, rent our vehicle from the Swiss side of the airport as dealing with the French side rental companies was akin to pulling teeth. Swiss side vehicles were always fitted with winter tyres, in guess what - the winter, without surcharge.

I would question  French logic...but then that would be an oxymoron.

regards

cajal

I used to regularly rent cars from airports when it was dark and always made a point of writing on the form simply "unseen due to darkness".

At the very first opportunity in the light would examine the car for unlisted damage or marks and phone them instantly if I found the slightest thing and I did - often - but never had any comebacks.

I have to balance it up a bit by saying that when I last went to the UK I rented a car from Europcar at Newcastle Airport, picking it up in the dark of the evening. I was given the paperwork and told to check the car before leaving the airport. I was also told however that I should recheck the car in the daylight the following morning and if the were any marks or damage not already listed, I was to ring Europcar and let them know. As long as it was within 24 hours, they would take what I said as gospel. As it happened there was an extra scratch or two, and it was no trouble to report them. That's how it should be done whenever delivery is taken in the dark, if only..............