Ride on mowers

PaulT

how big is the garden /area to be cut? the brico type machines are OK for small area's - do you want to collect? I have a 21hp diesel Kubota, but I do it for a living - (cut grass that is!) Fab machine but lists out at 12k€ - there is a smaller one for about 6 or 8k I think. Keep well clear of Countax (British and in my experience total rubbish). John Deere are also very good I have one of those too 550 hrs on it and its abused (cut rough area's and woodland trails with it!) no real problems, but it doesnt collect. Good value for money.

If you buy in October, your 1 year guarantee will be half way used up by the time you need it in the spring.

Steve

I've bought a few bits and pieces for the garden - all from my local motoculture shop.  Bernard the owner is a motorbike fan too.....[;-)]

Whenever I've wanted something, he's advised me on the machine I need and he's been unfailingly spot-on.

I recently decided to buy a sit-on mower to make it easier to cut all my lawns and small paddocks.  I also have a one acre grass field - I used to know a local farmer who'd cut if for me but he's now retired and I can't find anyone else reliable.  Bernard came out to the house and checked out the situation, then after a couple of whiskies, he recommended a Stiga (Swedish) with auto transmission, big grass collector box and a mulching system - total cost 2,370€ including an unprompted 10% discount.  He delivered it that afternoon in his van, then to check it was working OK, he proceeded to start mowing the field for me!  And, as he was off on his holidays that night, he said he'd sort out the bill on his return.....

So far, the mower has been fine (I take the collector box off for cutting the field and do it in small sections when it's dry).

Now, I don't know whether I could have gotten a better deal through a 'chain', but I'm supporting my local business and if anything goes amiss, I know I've got Bernard around to sort it out pronto.

I spoke to my local mower centre in UK about mowers earlier this year. I have to mow about 8500 sq.m. of grass including a field. He recommended a Stiga. An alternative he suggested was the Husqvana which he thought almost as good. I tried to source a Stiga here in France but the nearest was in Bordeaux. I bought a Husqvana Rider which automulches as it mows. I find this extremely good producing a good finish with no need to collect grass cuttings nor are they left on the surface! The mower also cuts long grass (12-18") with no problem.

Like Rodders, we've got a Husquvarna for the garden (about 3/4 hectare). It has a mulcher or you can shoot the grass out of the side. It's brilliant and was about 1,000 € from Mr Bricolage. Incidentally, we had a Honda before - wonderful, but overpriced and not nearly as robust as the Husquvarna.

We don't use it in the horses' fields !

Local Motoculture/agricultural dealers will often have a good deal on secondhand re-conditioned machines. Three years ago we bought a secondhand John Deere from our local place - sold with a 1 year guarantee from them, and we have found them very helpful if we have had a problem or needed spares. The chains are not always the best place in France to shop!

Thanks for the input.

I looked on some of the bricolage websites - only Leroy Merlin seemed to have a comprehensive range shown with what seemed high prices in euros and when £ to euro exchange rates were taken on to account damn expensive.

I then looked on things such as ebay france and other second hand sales websites but nothing near where we are.

So I turned to ebay uk (we have a trailer so transporting it is no problem) - I realise buying in the UK is not really the thing to do.

Went to look at some from ebay and also some advertised locally. One locally, although old seemed very good value but unsuitable for us. Another one locally was kept outside and not worth the money being asked. Travelled 120 miles to see one on ebay described as excellent condition, no rust etc and found it extremely poor condition (the engine was wrapped in old grass cuttings) and rust. It was at least 6 years old and sold for £460. Another one (same make as £460 one) was 8 years old but in good condition albeit had a large area to cut in those 8 years and sold for £720.

I thought that the model of the two that I have given prices for would be suitable for us and had phoned around dealers for a price new. The lowest £1199. How can you justify paying £720 for an 8 year old mower when you can have a new for not much more and it comes with a guarantee.

When I was phoning around for prices one dealer had said that the model I was after was no good for wet grass. He gave me the price. I then asked him what he would recommend. I asked for prices of his recommendation and they were far more than what I had been looking for. However, he had a demo machine that had been used for one day at £1199.

When I viewed the £720 machine the owner stated that if cutting wet grass the discharge chute blocked up.

That made my mind up and went to view the demo machine. It looked perfect, with contra-rotating blades and a large discharge chute that would not block up. A little discussion on price and the deal was done. 

Paul

[quote user="Callie"]we've got a Husquvarna for the garden (about 3/4 hectare). It has a mulcher or you can shoot the grass out of the side. It's brilliant and was about 1,000 € from Mr Bricolage. [/quote]

[blink] 1000€  [blink] Husqvarna [blink] Mr Bricolage [blink] wow [blink]