courgettes

mogs

my round courgettes are flowering nicely and forming nice little baby courgettes, but, they're sort of going a brownish colour and dropping off before forming into nice, edible courgettes.

Is it the wet weather? An insect? Any other suggestions please what might be wrong?

Unfortunately they often do that when it's cold and wet. Fingers crossed for better weather - it seems to be improving around here after some bad days. After hearing about good weather in Uk I'm hoping for a good crop of courgettes and tomatoes, but I had to plant them 5 weeks ago before coming out here - so they might have curled up and died of cold; they were only babes when I planted them in the cold clay soil!

[quote user="Joe"]Mine are growing here in 56 its slugs and snails that are the problem.[/quote]

Here, a bit lower in 56 than Joe, the courgettes have grown well but the beasties have gone for the strawberries with a vengeance this year.

Sue

'ordinary' courgettes have to be pollinated. So you need good weather, some friendly insects and a compatible plant nearby. If not, they turn brown and die.

Better use F1 Hybrid courgettes that do not need pollination.

All I know is that they are getting lovely big flowers and you can see the small round courgette appearing nicely.

It's only after a few days (in between the showers) that you realise the nice flower and plant have gone brown and dropped off.

Fingers crossed for some sunshine then.