Seasons?

Pauline

Where precisely in the SW?  + one person's idea of where the SW may well be different to another's.

There's mountains, plains & coast!! 

OK, just seen that you're the soon-to-be-arrived Pauline in the Gers. Just put your location in your profile eh, and it would stop people like me asking the same question every time.

Anyway ................. don't know. All that I'd say is that it'll take about 3 yrs to find out what 'works' in your particular area, but you have to make the odd mistake. Ask the locals - they know.   

Here in the N Lot I study what my neighbours are doing. Also if the plantlets are for sale in the local market that is a hint that now is the hour.

BUT this site may say that we are in the SW despite living just 25 mins from the Correze and lots of you are much further S and much further W than we are.

John

The main things I found that influence planting here is the really dramatic boost to the growing season in late March/early April. This usually continues well into May .The garden centres are full of seasonal plants at this time, both veg. flowers, shrubs etc.

Also the soil which is almost pure clay and needs much hard work and organic matter - as a result many people just plant in containers.

There's a special time to plant trees, October to early Nov.

You can seed a new lawn either late summer or spring.

Winters are short (Dec. to Feb) but can be very cold so people put protective covering over plants that aren't frost-hardy.

Summers vary - this year has been hot and dry.

I would think it's best not to be too fixed in your plans, but wait until you're here, and play it by ear. I've found gardening here much harder work than in the UK, but much more rewarding as things grow faster and with more variety.

There are four main seasons in France, just as in the UK.

They are spring summer autumn and winter. Although they have different names in France...I suppose if you google them, you will find this info out. I do know that winter is Hinver, if thats of any use. The best time I have found to plant seeds is in spring.

Bonnes Chances with your hortyculcheral adventure

But, Framboise, it's been a fabulous summer here.  The last few days have been a bit stormy looking but not a great deal of rain even.

We've had a lot of outdoors time, so much so that my house is definitely looking grubby.