Diagnostics - Electrical fail

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

[quote user="LEO"]

NOBODY SAID IT NEEDS TO BE REWIRED !

[/quote]

No need to SHOUT!

The OP's statement sounds pretty convincing, unless you mean that it should just be left as-is.

[quote user="Laurier"]... I am going to look at a house for sale and understand it has failed the electrical diagnostic because it was wired in the English way rather than the French way. [/quote]

Based on that I'd expect UK-style twin & earth, ring mains rather than radials and possibly even 13 amp square sockets. I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole in France because of probable problems with insurance and with having any future maintenance or modifications done.

[/quote]

Based on what ?

Are you reading something I can't see!

There was a case near us where a French electirican was called in to repair a fault on a house that had been re-wired the English way; the electrician didn't know this and was killed as he electrocuted himself, with the result that the house owner was prosecuted and jailed.

Why risk it?

Hmm, is that a pub story or something you know for a fact ?

If it was wired the 'English way' how come he didn't he spot it immediately, 13A sockets would have been a strong and instant clue.

But in any case any experienced electrician, French or English, should be able to cope with an alien system and indeed should be doubly cautious when faced with one so I suspect his unfortunate demise may have been as much down to carelessness as the simple fact that the house was wired as it was.

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

There was a case near us where a French electirican was called in to repair a fault on a house that had been re-wired the English way; the electrician didn't know this and was killed as he electrocuted himself, with the result that the house owner was prosecuted and jailed.

Why risk it?

[/quote]

Crève de baratiner [6]

There was a case near us where an english electrician was called in to repair a fault on a house that had been re-wired the french way; the electrician didn't know this and was killed as he electrocuted himself, with the result that the house owner was prosecuted and jailed

Why risk it?

[quote user="nomoss"]

There was a case near us where an english electrician was called in to repair a fault on a house that had been re-wired the french way; the electrician didn't know this and was killed as he electrocuted himself, with the result that the house owner was prosecuted and jailed

Why risk it?

[/quote]Was that the same case that Rob Roy was referring to?

http://dictionnaire.tv5.org/ 

I use this all the time, and for me it's usually when I know the french word and the english one escapes me. However sometimes all the senses of a word(s) are not in it, so I will use this one:

http://www.wordreference.com/fren/

'Creve de baratiner.'

I didn't need to look this up because I knew what it meant, but I just checked to see if my reference pages would have been helpful to anyone else and they were.

A baratiner(e) is as my irish friends would say a  'gob shi te'. Baratin is having the patter, like Del boy with all his 'knowledge'.

And creve is a multi usage word  meaning lots of things like a flat tyre, having flu and  as I took it in this case dying as it was said that this apparently ignorant electrician had electrocuted himself.

I sort of nodded at the screen when I read 'creve de barantiner' and smiled and thought of the Darwin Awards.

And after all Chancer wrote in french on a board about France, now how naughty is that?[:-))]

[:D]

Having been remonstrated with on this subject before and being surprised that there were no negative comments on the Franglais thread, perhaps because of the overwhelming majority of Franglais lovers who contributed.

When I read the comment about the guy locked up for having English wiring my immediate thought was "creve de baratiner" so I decided to write it, to dangle a worm if you like and see who bit.

I had Another down as a 50/50 favorite [:)]

Creve de faim = I am/we are so hungry

Creve de chaleur = Its so hot

Creve de baratiner in this region at least means such bulls**t, so much bulls**t, too much bulls**t or thats enough bulls**t,  you wont find that definition in the dictionary, most have it simply as to smooth talk.

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="nomoss"]

Why risk it?

[/quote]Was that the same case that Rob Roy was referring to?[/quote]

No, it happened in a parallel universe [:)]

Thanks Idun/Chancer - I knew 'creve' but couldn't work out baratiner.

I must try and remember them. I don't know if I will be using that one but it's good to recognise it if you hear it!

I have picked up on some of your other words, Idun, which are such fun. I need to be at the level where they trip off the tongue, though. Thanks for the references. I had tried Babelfish but it didn't give it.

I realise that my French is definitely not 'French as she is spoke'!

Laurier

[quote user="idun"]And after all Chancer wrote in french on a board about France, now how naughty is that?[:-))][/quote]A board for English speakers who have moved to, or plan to move to, France - not quite the same thing [;-)]

Glad to have not disappointed you Chancer but five subsequent posts to explain it's meaning I believe vindicates my argument [:)]

[quote user="Laurier"]Thanks Idun/Chancer - I knew 'creve' but couldn't work out baratiner. I must try and remember them. I don't know if I will be using that one but it's good to recognise it if you hear it! I have picked up on some of your other words, Idun, which are such fun. I need to be at the level where they trip off the tongue, though. Thanks for the references. I had tried Babelfish but it didn't give it. I realise that my French is definitely not 'French as she is spoke'! Laurier[/quote]

Some words / expressions I just know. They may not trip off my tongue, ever, some are too rude for me to usually use them, but I may think them though. Anyway, it's nice to know what people are saying, even at that stage when replying feels like, 'I' at least, had a two year olds responsive vocabulary. My that did seem to last for a long long time. I am poor at languages, even english[:(]

[quote user="Laurier"]Thanks Idun/Chancer - I knew 'creve' but couldn't work out baratiner. I must try and remember them. I don't know if I will be using that one but it's good to recognise it if you hear it! I have picked up on some of your other words, Idun, which are such fun. I need to be at the level where they trip off the tongue, though. Thanks for the references. I had tried Babelfish but it didn't give it. I realise that my French is definitely not 'French as she is spoke'! Laurier[/quote]

Some words / expressions I just know. They may not trip off my tongue, ever, some are too rude for me to usually use them, but I may think them though. Anyway, it's nice to know what people are saying, even at that stage when replying feels like, 'I' at least, had a two year olds responsive vocabulary. My that did seem to last for a long long time. I am poor at languages, even english[:(]