Watch out for wild parsnips

Blodwyn

My husband came out in a hideous burning rash last week. As he had a GP appointment anyway, he asked about it. Apparently the problem is wild parsnips and the rash is particularly bad if you go out in the sun. He had planted parsnips but there don't seem to be any real ones.

There seems to be nothing to be done, no creams or lotions to relieve the pain. Just have to wait it out I guess. Particularly irritating as it will be 38 degrees today. And to complete his day, he's just got two wasp stings!

In Rhone-Alpes, the nasty is just coming into its nasty season - ambroisie.

I have never before suffered from hay fever, but now seem to be particularly susceptible to late season hay fever.

A nasty US import - and it seems its seed is sometimes added to wild bird foods.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting. We were told they are a problem in the south, so parsnips are grown in the north of France.

Last year we planted parsnip seeds that a friend sent from the UK - commercial ones, not home gathered. Not sure how they became wild!

• 4 weeks later...
Blodwyn

I hope your OH has now recovered.

Here in Auvergne Rhone Alpes the amboisie is now doing its stuff. The last couple of days I have been sneezing for no apparent reason and this evening I can hardly see. It is a bit like I have crushed a chilli for cooking and without washing my hands have rubbed my eyes.

The plant is an import from N America, and apart from Japanese Hogweed, this is the first time I have seen official advice to try and eradicate a plant in Europe. I personally understand why.

Blodwyn hope that all is well now with the OH.

There was a gardening horror programme on ITV last night. One lady had cut the green tops off of her parsnips that were lolling over the path. As her garden is private and it was a hot day she took her top off. She scooped up the parsnips leaves in her arms holding them to her body to throw them to the pigs. Next day she was covered in terrible looking blisters and had to go to hospital. Conclusion was don't cut parsnip tops in the heat and scoop them up unless you are wearing clothing with long sleeves and gloves as the sap reacts with the heat/sun and that is what caused the problem. They also belong to the giant hogweed family.

Mrs KG