What would you do?

We have just had an English couple staying with us. They are a 'career' couple with one two and a half year old child. Said child is very fussed over.  We agreed to serve them breakfast an hour and a half earlier than we stipulate we normally do. She then further requested that we be available at 6.am, yet another hour earlier, to warm up little Tobin's bottle of milk before they come down for breakfast. Apparently, back home, Tobin spends his waking hours in daycare and they do not like his morning routine to be disrupted even while on holiday.  Well, we refused this request. I offered her a kettle to warm up some water to heat his bottle in. She was not happy. Look, I have five kids. When on holiday, in B&B's or hotels, I warmed up my babies bottles in the mornings by filling up the bathroom basin with hot tap/kettle water and placing the bottle in it. I also suggested this. She took the kettle but was not impressed. I mean, 6.AM!!  And why is a two year and a half year old still on a bottle anyway??. Funnily, they told us they had been staying with friends here but due to ill feeling had to leave. I wonder why!!!.

Wen

I think you were bending over backwards to offer breakfast an hour and a half ahead of usual serving time. You offered the kettle and they were still not happy. I can't see a hotel offering this so why should you? Maybe they should consider a self catering Gite for next year but then they would have to do all the work!

Funnily, they told us they had been staying with friends here but due to ill feeling had to leave. I wonder why!!!.

LOL, this sentence probably says it all!

Talk about 'making a rod for your own back'...parents of toddler I mean, and try not to make one of your own with guest's. I've got four children of my own and they have been brought up to be flexible. Whilst I believe in routine (and do have one) there are times when that goes by the by, like on holiday, work, unexpected trips out etc.

Like you, we have a pub/restaurant with letting rooms, late night's are a certainty, early morning are nearly always and it's damn hard work especially with children.They probably think you are there to provide a service, which of course you/we are, but limits of service do need a 'cut off point'.Different people have different requirements, you'd be dead on your feet running around like a blue arse fly,(some will thank you and some won't) there's only so long you can keep it up for. We were really accommodating in the first few years but you simply get knackered and you have to take stock.On most occassions, if it's a request that would be hard for us to meet,us and the guest's meet each other half way so everyone is happy.

I think you were right to say 'no'. It can quite often lead to more request's.A few might even begin to take advantage of you

'Don't work harder, work smarter.

Regards,

There was a guy who used to post on here - had owned B&Bs in several parts of France for years - and was very knowledgeable. One thing I remember him saying several years ago that I thought was particularly useful is that you can deliver most bad news (ie, not the answer the guest is looking for [6]) providing you deliver the information with a big smile of the relevant type: sympathetic, helpful, understanding, conspiratorial... whatever. I think the intention was that the smile defused the refusal of the request. I just thought it was an approach to remember generally - not just in B&B life. So a big smile, "How awful for you that he wakes up so early. To save either of us coming down to the kitchen at such a horrible hour, here's a kettle which you can take up with you to warm his bottle. With any amount of luck, you might get him to go straight back to sleep." [:-))]

Oh yes, of course, it was Miki. [;-)]

We got over this problem by not taking children. This we find is actually a selling point. You would be suprised how many people want to holiday in a child free environment.

We offer breakfast from 8:00 to 11:00 but we ask what time they want theirs and if they want tea, coffee, chocolate etc. We tell our guests they sety the time but they must be their at the time they specify. If not and we have cleared away it's just tuf luck. The guest is king but only so far. Technically speaking they should be having breakfast with you at whatever time you decide but it doesn't work that way anymore.

[quote user="catalpa"]

There was a guy who used to post on here - had owned B&Bs in several parts of France for years - and was very knowledgeable. One thing I remember him saying several years ago that I thought was particularly useful is that you can deliver most bad news (ie, not the answer the guest is looking for [6]) providing you deliver the information with a big smile of the relevant type: sympathetic, helpful, understanding, conspiratorial... whatever. I think the intention was that the smile defused the refusal of the request. I just thought it was an approach to remember generally - not just in B&B life. So a big smile, "How awful for you that he wakes up so early. To save either of us coming down to the kitchen at such a horrible hour, here's a kettle which you can take up with you to warm his bottle. With any amount of luck, you might get him to go straight back to sleep." [:-))]

Oh yes, of course, it was Miki. [;-)]

[/quote]

You're skating on thin ice here Catalpa.  Did you know you can have your posting deleted for writing "about or for a banned member" apparently it's against the rules [;-)]

Back to the original question though.  I would do exactly as you did.  Meet them halfway, you've already agreed to an earlier breakfast than normal.  If the kid wants warm milk at an unearthly hour then that's down to them.  You've offered them the facilities to do it.

We had a French family in this weekend, who told us on arrival (7pm) that they needed breakfast at 7am because their daughter was taking part in a show-jumping competition at 8am.  We said that we couldn't offer bread or croissants that early because the baker doesn't open til 7.30 but could give them a hot drink, orange juice, yoghurt and fruit - with which they were more than happy.  In fact, their daughter ended up staying with a friend for both the nights they had booked for (the whole team were staying round and about) so when it came to the bill I thought I ought to deduct a bit as she had not had any breakfasts and the bed hadn't been slept in, thus saving me a bit of time and money.  The parents wouldn't hear of it - they said if their daughter wante to stay with a friend that wasn't my problem.  I think your guests should have the same attitude.  You have a B&B to run and other guests to take care of.  I better you're not charging them 4 star hotel rates, which is the sort of service they are expecting!

Warmed up bottle at 6am for a 2 and 1/2 year old!

our youngest would have been requesting a bowl of cheerios and a drink of juice at that time of day.......she is still an early riser. Would I expect anyone else to get up and prepare this for her, yep, Her [Www]dad.

I think the answer lies in St.Amour's reply. The problem family being UK ers, the other family French. We note that many French Hoteliers/Restauranters say the English seem to have an Attitude problem!

I think the answer to that Attitude may lie in what they have to deal with in UK.

Regards. B&B StMalo    ourinns.org

Cheer up wen - I had one 4 year old that was up at 6.00 am demanding breakfast (fortunately I'm always up that early) but without mum and dad!!  They wished to stay in bed until 10 and thought it was a tad unreasonable of me not to want to look after the little blighter until that time![:'(]  The first morning I had to kind of do this as I was unable to wake the parents without waking everyone else in the house. The same lovely parents sat out on the terrace and let their 2 kids go to do painting in the  rooms!

I too was tempted to ban kids, but we have had some delightful ones as well and you can't win them all.  I do let people have early breakfasts if they ask in advance - but they will get frozen croissants as the bakery is not open until 7.30.  If I were you I would inform this lot as politely as you are able, that you are not a hotel with 24 hour room service.

Good luck

Maggi

"The problem family being UK ers, the other family French. We note that many French Hoteliers/Restauranters say the English seem to have an Attitude problem!"

errm ......................................................how many is that?[8-)]

Gastines, that's a sweeping generalisation! [blink]

LOL You'll be saying " No Brits " to stay at your place then, will you?[8-|]

[quote user="Cerise"]

Cheer up wen - I had one 4 year old that was up at 6.00 am demanding breakfast (fortunately I'm always up that early) but without mum and dad!!  They wished to stay in bed until 10 and thought it was a tad unreasonable of me not to want to look after the little blighter until that time![:'(]  The first morning I had to kind of do this as I was unable to wake the parents without waking everyone else in the house. The same lovely parents sat out on the terrace and let their 2 kids go to do painting in the  rooms!

I too was tempted to ban kids, but we have had some delightful ones as well and you can't win them all. [/quote]

I've actually put in my terms and conditions that I'm happy for kids to play in the garden but they do so entirely under the supervision of the parents, I don't want some kid falling over and then the parents blaming me for not looking after it properly.  Perhaps I'm paranoid but I don't want anyone suing me, or worse still, saying I abuse their kid in some way.  Unsupervised kids are definitely a no no as far as I am concerned.

I think everyone knows that after some horrendous experiences last year I was tempte to ban kids, but thankfully we have also had some absolute charmers here to redress the balance, although I'm sorry to say Gill, NONE have been Brits!!![:(]

Speaking as somone who has taken even younger kids on holiday, I would never ask or expect any hotel or B&B owner to get earlier just for me. Sounds just like a typical yuppy attitude to me and not the usual british family on holiday who would make do with a kettle.

Speaking as somone who has taken even younger kids on holiday, I would never ask or expect any hotel or B&B owner to get earlier just for me. Sounds just like a typical yuppy attitude to me and not the usual british family on holiday who woud make do with a kettle.

We once stayed at an hotel Ibis (dead cheap) on our way to sign our acte de vente. When the staff learned that we had to be away early they voluntarily got a breakfast ready for us at 6am, an hour earlier than advertised. They had also rustled up a meal for us at 11pm the previous night.

The first thing I would do, if I were you, wen, is edit your post, if you used the nippers' real name. [;-)]

Apart from that you have gone beyond the whatever.

Mine got his own weetabix at that age. [:-))]

"When the staff learned that we had to be away early they voluntarily got a breakfast ready for us at 6am, an hour earlier than advertised"

Dick, I do hope you didn't display any Attitude, giving us Brits a bad name! [;-)]

I must remember to keep Attitude (whatever that might be?) firmly hidden next time I stay in a Chambre d'Hote!

Like yours, my children have long flown the nest so we wouldn't have the problem of little ones requiring special facilities. Come to think of it my children never ever had a bottle![:)]

Tresco, me darlin', Im not bothered one bit about naming the little critter. After what he did to our dining room whilst the 'parents of the year' obliviously ate their food he deserves a bit of naming and shaming. Imagine sitting and ignoring your child taking apart the table settings from the other tables, throwing placemats and serviettes on the floor and then just leaving?. I know this sort of thing goes with the territory... but I also expect certain rules apply when you take your kids to other people's homes. Or is the philosophy these days "look at him doing that, isn't he cute?".

I love the French people but I have it on the best authority (my own) that there is one Madame in France with 'Attitude' !

Breaking our journey to the S.W. of France last year we stopped for one night at a pre-booked Etap.  We were both so tired that we slept through our alarm and gingerly went to the breakfast area at 8.50 a.m.  We knew that they stopped serving breakfast at 9 a.m.,  but how long does it take to swallow a croissant and gulp a cup of coffee ?

We were surprised to see staff busily clearing everything away under the scowl of an enormous manageress.  She was still scowling when she shooed us away saying we were late, too late !!  Not ones' to make a scene we begged for a drink (could have done with a stiff one 'cause my knees were like jelly !) and she made a great song and dance about this but then relented and allowed us a very quick cup of coffee.  I was so grateful I was still muttering 'Merci, merci, merci' as we went to collect our luggage.  It was only later I realised that if she did that every day she must have been making a good profit for the company (we'd already paid for the breakfast we didn't have !).  We did laugh at the picture we must have made though, two frightened English rabbits under the scornful gaze of the formidable Madame.[:D]

Definitely would not pander to their unreasonable request, but would definitely consider providing a microwave and kettle in the dining room so they can sort themselves out (if the layout of the accommodation allows that). We used to have people proudly say "Ooh, we're up at 6am, us!" (Why is that supposed to be a Good Thing? They must have a very boring social life to get their statutory 8 hours in...). We'd answer that that was far too early, the baker doesn't open until 7.30. Inevitably they'd appear at about 9, saying they'd had their best night's sleep ever...

This does emphasise the importance of keeping the B&B and personal areas separate if at all possible, after all you're selling an accommodation service, not your life!

Jo

You've made a point there Jo. Our baker delivers the patisserie/baguettes for the breakfasts but only between 8-8.30am. Thats why we offer breakfast from 8.30. Any earlier and I have to drive to the village and collect them. I have to say the village is rather lively at 6.30am!.  Its very annoying though when you agree to serve breakfast that early only for the guests to sleep in after all and wander down at nine. Thats why we now will stick firmly to our usual time.

I notice Quillan serves breakfast until 11.00am - how do you manage it, Q? 

We're lucky if people finish breakfast in less than an hour, which doesn't give you a lot of time to clean the bathrooms, hoover, change the beds and towels etc. before the next lot arrive.  So we serve breakfast from 7.00am (we're lucky our baker opens at 6.00am) to 9.30am and ask people to be out by 11.00am on the day they are leaving.

We also find that SOME English parents are much more indulgent of their offspring, allowing them to bounce up and down on the sofas, kick the furniture, pull plants out of the flowerbeds etc.  No French child has ever attempted any such thing, never mind got away with it.  Not all English parents, but definitely some.

Phil