guests taking advantage...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great thread. And I thought that we were the only ones!

I have been asked where to go to eat 'proper' English food instead of this French stuff.  I was informed the following morning that 'proper' English food is available in a near by restaurant.  "They do Pizza. Just like in England".

I have also been asked to 'do something' about the weather on more than one occassion!!!

[quote user="betoulle"]

Well, no .....because I haven't switched the WEP encryption on so users pick up the wireless network straight away when they boot up (Windows XP). I switch the network on and off by enabling MAC address checking (hardware address) which is secure as long as I remember to do it, otherwise the network is wide open to everyone!!

I think WEP encryption is probably best and hand out the codes when user need access.......

There should be an SSID - the network name you have chosen and the encryption key...........the users will detect the SSID automatically with Windows XP but they will still need the key.............suggest you get your supplier to reset it .....

[/quote]

But your MAC address method actually gives YOU more control. Unless you change your WEP key often (and few people will) the codes given to renters will work forever (see start of thread about use of swimming pool !). Wheras it is more simple to spring-clean the 'allowed' MAC addresses.

John

What is your response, B&Bers, to guests who want clothing washed?  We do not advertise a laundry service, but we do not mind giving visitors some washing powder for them to wash their own things in their bath or washbasin and then hang them on our washing lines. 

But an Italian couple who visited recently seemed to expect that we should do laundry for them - they said it was just a couple of things for the baby but when we offered them the powder they looked a bit put out and said in that case did we have a bowl to do the washing in (which we thought was odd as the washbasin is massive and as for the bath....).  They then came back and said that was not good enough because they also had shirts to do, could they use our washing machine.  We said that there was a launderette 10 mins away in Alençon - cue frosty looks. 

Honest question - did we do wrong and is laundry expected at B&B?  It's not something we ever came across in all our years of holidays in France but maybe it's because it never crossed our minds to ask!

Oh Cerise, Cerise, Cerise, boy do I sympathise. We had, on Mad Monday, two of the most horrid people we have ever met since entering this crazy business. We send our sheets off to the blanchisserie but do the towels ourselves. Mountains of them lately. However, because of a problem at the laundry over the weekend our sheets (same for other businesses locally) could not be picked up until after two on Monday afternoon. So, after managing to clear, clean and sort all rooms by midday we prepared to shoot off and collect our bedding. Fingers crossed that guests would stick to their arrival times - most after 6.pm. No. One french family arrived just before 1.30 and were happy to just collect their keys, deposit their luggage  and go off for a couple of hours. Sense of humor, very understanding. Next arrival...anyone remember Pruneface from Dick tracy??. Explaining our predicament met with looks that commonly come from sucking on a lemon. She wanted to see the room...first.  It was not ready. She wanted to see the room...first!. The insulting and rude behaviour began as soon as she was taken through the foyer, up the stairs and into the room which was clean as a whistle but had two bare beds. They proceeded to declare everything 'disgusting' and went on and on about how everything was 'disgusting'. She then announced her adult son was in the other car in the carpark and wanted to bring him inside to show him how 'disgusting' everything was. She said they were cancelling and would rather sleep in their old Volvo Estate. Judging by the facial creases I'd guessed she'd done alot of that already. She was really exhibiting quite neurotic and aggressive behaviour so we asked them to leave immediately. In the carpark he reversed at very highspeed and spun his tyres near us whipping up stones and gravel all around us. Lunatics!. By the way, we got our sheets and all the rooms made up in time for the new arrivals. Even the local hotel owner nearby was racing around borrowing sheets from other places!.

I will put a few items in our machine but nothing like an entire load. If they ask nicely too. I wont handle underwear for obvious reasons. We usually have the machine going most of the day with the towels anyway. We dont offer a laundry service either though.

I dont cook after 8.pm, sorry, but I have to combine guests with a large family and those are my terms. And we are all entitled to name our own terms.

Our neighbour has a cottage in her garden that she used to rent out and she lent us her 'English' Guest book, so that we could read the comments (she thankfully  cannot read English). What a bunch of moaning minnies!

There were complaints about the weather [Www], the lack of English food restaurants, that no one speaks English, that they had to drive 30 kms so that their offspring could have a Mac Donalds, the crepes in the local creperie were not filling enough and they had to have more than one and that the staff 'refused' to understand them! and that the Supermarkets were basic, Oh and there was nothing to do.

Speaking as a punter (sorry, guest) I would think it would depend on how long I was staying. For a night or two I wouldn't expect it but if I were staying for a week I wouldn't think it unreasonable to ask if I could put on a load of washing (not ask you to do it!) Considering the smaller workload for longer stays I'd think that this would be a reasonable trade off for the owner.

Wen, what nationality were your horrors? I know you don't want to lose money but think how awful it would have been if they'd stayed!

Thanks, Kathy and Wen

If they had been staying a week, we might have put a load on for them (maybe), but they were staying just two nights.  They had arrived at 10.00pm instead of 5.00pm the previous night and were also half an hour late down to breakfast.  So they had not enamoured themselves to us!

[quote user="Cassis"]What is your response, B&Bers, to guests who want clothing washed?  We do not advertise a laundry service, but we do not mind giving visitors some washing powder for them to wash their own things in their bath or washbasin and then hang them on our washing lines. 

[/quote]

Afraid i dont have the time to tie up my machines for guests laundry, would not mind giving them a bit of powder if required. Last year however we had some belgiums staying for the second time and the wife said to them that if they needed a bit of washing doing then to give it to me and i would do it form them.Well she came down with a small pile which she placed in the machine and and i asked her at what temperature they had to be washed to which the reply was 40.On taking the clothes out she had only mixed some blue pants with her husbands cream trousers, they had turned a nice baby blue.

Our nearest launderette is 35 km away so I will do laundry for people staying a reasonable time e.g. Americans who are travelling around for 6 weeks.  However do charge them 7 euro a load.  I don't offer the service so they only get if they ask nicely.  Am thinking of getting second washing machine (I need one anyway) and allowing guests to use it - but not my big 8 kg load one.

New arrivals have just complained that they stopped for lunch and could only have pizza because they didn't understand the menu.  They are a little disconcerted to find that they are the only English guests.  As we were English they didn't think we took French!!!!

Another person has appeared for the wedding party at the end of the month - this time a 'forgotten' cousin.  Do you think that the French really have no idea who they are taking/going on holiday with.  This is my 3rd 'extra person' in just over 2 weeks.  Am I being unreasonable to expect people to know the size of their party when they book?

Must go now to prepare dinner for the ungrateful hordes - how much would you like to bet me that someone doesn't eat stuffed peppers (entrée) is allergic to pork (main course) and can't cope with raspberries (pudding)[:'(]

Hope you haven't got the vegan who stayed with us a couple of nights ago, Cerise!

Incidentally, she was convinced that croissants and pains au chocolat did not contain any butter or other animal fats and that they were made with vegetable fat.  I did not disabuse her of this notion in case it ruined her breakfast.

[quote user="Cerise"]They are a little disconcerted to find that they are the only English guests.  As we were English they didn't think we took French!!![/quote] No doubt their local Indian Restaurant only serves people from the Sub-Continent!!!

We are in a town, (Huelgoat 29).  A few days ago a French registered car stopped outside our place and the woman passenger got out of the car to read our details of tariff and also the 'full - complet' sign.

I assumed that she was French and started to tell her (in French) where another B&B is situated.  I had spoken no more than 5 or 6 words when she threw her right hand up like a Policeman stopping oncoming traffic.  "I'm English.  No Speak.  No Speak", she shrieked in a panicky voice.

On the subject of guests washing. Our washing machine is working overtime with bedding etc at the moment.  In the winter months we have allowed a few guests that are staying for more than a couple of nights to use the machine at no extra cost to them.

[quote user="Levelstep"]

We are in a town, (Huelgoat 29). 

[/quote]

Do you know John and Gala Robinson?  They have a B&B in Huelgoat - lovely little place, up the road from the bar (which I think was run by a Yorkshire lady and her hubby last we were there on holiday, some years ago) on rue docteur something I think.

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Levelstep"]

[/quote]

Do you know John and Gala Robinson?  They have a B&B in Huelgoat - lovely little place, up the road from the bar (which I think was run by a Yorkshire lady and her hubby last we were there on holiday, some years ago) on rue docteur something I think.
[/quote]Oh Yes!! John and Gala are in Rue Docteur Jacq, and 'Yorkshire' Mickey and her French husband Yann are in Rue General de Gaulle.  (I will often be found near to the bar!).

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Levelstep"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Oh Yes!! John and Gala are in Rue Docteur Jacq, and 'Yorkshire' Mickey and her French husband Yann are in Rue General de Gaulle.  (I will often be found near to the bar!).

KathyC, I really dont like distinguishing guests behaviour by nationality but what other people would drive an old  red Volvo Estate? (Sorry if any of you nice people have one) Plus, she said, they had stayed in hotels from 'Formule 1's to the Metropole in Lyon' ! is that supposed to impress me?. Since finding out that F 1's attract roadside prostitutes and their clients we dont use them. Have always been curious aboutt them though. Anyway, got extreme satisfaction from digging out their booking form and emailing them my spleen. By the way, they booked last minute on Sunday night when we had only the twin room left. Some people in the past have arrived and not liked the sight of the two small french single beds(due for replacement) and requested, in a civilised fashion, another room and, where possible, we have obliged. We would have done so in this case as the double room became available that morning unexpectedly. Unfortunately the rude and abusive manner we received from the start put any thought of assistance out the window. You are right Kath, some people we are better off without.

Miki, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Not sure exactly what thoughts you want wen ?

All I know is, we cannot abide false or any kind of snobs, especially

anyone who thinks that we are below them. We simply try to get by as

best we can. We always give guests our best welcome, if they

reciprocate in kind, we are off to a good start and one which should

continue throughout their stay.

Those that come in look around, nose in air, then give the room a

snooty look and ask if this was the room they booked, if we say yes,

they might say, well it seems different. In other words they are

playing silly buggers and sorry, I am now too long in the tooth to play

their silly games....take it or leave it. If they have paid, tant pis,

they have lost their money but of course, they will take it, as you are

not playing their game !! For a start we do not give

one nighters much priority these days. If we stay any where for one

night we take what we are offered. If I am paying top money for a one

night stop, then I would expect something near the mark. Guests pay

between 48 and 56 euros here, for 2 persons per night and that includes

breakfasts. I fully understand that some French will struggle to even

pay that kind of amount but for some it is cheap and it annoys us if

someone complains uneccessarily over a room. We are not the Ritz, we,

like many on

here, have a book jammed full of compliments. So bottoms to the ones

that complain, we are doing it right for the ones we are worried about,

the others can sod off and go to your places and give you lot a hard

time !!

We can see/feel when someone is genuinely stretched, money wise. We

will try to go the extra mile to help them. If they have a baby and it looks

pretty obvious that money is tight, they get the cot cheap, even for

nothing on occasion. We deals on the phone if neccessary but in

general, the prices on the website and on the many sites we are on, are

the prices that guests will pay. Like many of them, we have been there,

been pretty tight for money and remember it all too clearly. We knew

when we were young we needed a break but did not always have sufficient

funds, so we can feel for the kids here weith a young family, they

don't have a lot but very few will try for money off with us, so we

will ensure they have good breakfasts, good evening meals and in

general, spoil them a little, so the two days feel like a weeks break.

Having said all that, we can smell liberty takers a mile off and that

can spoil it for others for a little while, whilst you get it out of

your system !

Can't really see us still doing this in two years time. It is tough, as

I have already said, next year we have to stop meals in the high

season. Another mad year like this year and we won't get through to

November ! And we still have the moaning month to come, late

October, when it gets dark and cold....the whingers come out and it is

the only time we get a complaint and for the most pathetic of

reasons..... Roll on the close season...............

[quote user="wen"]

I really dont like distinguishing guests behaviour

by nationality but what other people would drive an old  red Volvo

Estate?

[/quote]

Danish!

Not the nice healthy, rich, attractive people who live in Copenhagen

(they all have brand spanking new sparkling white Mercedes to match

their teeth), but the weather beaten ones who live out on Jutland.

Jutland is where old Volvos go to die. Great, hulking things, all

belching great clouds of acrid smoke. It's not the fault of the

residents that they look as though they are sucking lemons: anyone who

lived for any decent length of  time in that climate could hardly

be expected to be cheerful. The wind! The mistral is but a light zypher in comparison. And as for the food....

Nope, they were English. And the rudest people we have met so far in this job. The sort of people who, if you invited them to your house for dinner, would brush the seat of the chair before they sat their bums down on it and then whisper about you everytime you left the room. These were last-minute overnighters Miki, the type who book 2 star and arrive expecting five star plus.

Hello,

Just going back to the washing clothes subject.I had a B&B guest arrive and after a half an hour she came downstairs carrying a full black bag of washing and ask me if I would wash it for her as she had brought it with her ,as she had not found the time to wash it before she came away.

I did the load of washing for her and two days later she came to me again with another bag of washing.

Sarah