Indian cooking/restaurants/chefs

jon

[quote user="Clair"]Frenchie, c'est comme un confit d'oignons, mais avec plus de sauce [:D]

[/quote]

Mais non!

Confit contains sugar, which would sweeten the gravy. This would not be a Good Thing.

Caramelising the onions only adds the sugars of caramelisation, which is a different flavour.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Clair"]No sugar in confit d'oignons.

PS: no cheese in gratin dauphinois either![:D]

[/quote]

Loads of inaccurate recipes about then.

I've just got a jar out of the cupboard (Eric Bur Confit d'Oignons)

Ingredients (in descending order of quantity):

Oignons grelots (65%)

Sucre

Vinaigre

Poivron Rouge

Vin Blanc

then a load of other stuff.

Also see the first 5 recettes off of Google (I only looked at 5):

http://www.750g.com/recettes_confit_d_oignon.htm

http://www.linternaute.com/femmes/cuisine/recette/309285/1290214572/confiture_d_oignons.shtml

http://www.recipezaar.com/Confit-D-Oignon-French-Onion-Marmalade-211001

http://www.supertoinette.com/recettes/confiture_oignons_de_in.htm

http://metsaventures.canalblog.com/archives/2006/12/17/3422748.html

[quote user="odile"]apparently most 'run of the mill' Indian restaurants in the UK cook on a similar principle. Pre-cooked meat to which different sauce mixtures are added at the last minute. I wonder how one can find out whether food is freshly cooked or not.
[/quote]

Ask them for a simple chicken curry "on the bone" NOT tandoori. If they can't do it then you know they are using the catering packs of ready prepared/cooked meat.

rgds

hagar

[quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="Clair"]No sugar in confit d'oignons.[/quote]

Loads of inaccurate recipes about then.[/quote]

You said it!

No red, green or yellow peppers either...

Adding sugar is a short cut to colour the onions faster and shorten the cooking time. I do them in the slow cooker.

1½ kg onions, thinly sliced

60g unsalted butter

60 ml balsamic vinegar

pinch of salt.

Put everything in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 16

hours or until they reach marmalade consistency.

PS: 19 pages of discussion on confit d'oignons HERE!

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Dick Smith"]I knew you'd find some way of proving me wrong...

Sorry it took up so much of your afternoon.

I have contacted the manufacturers of the jars I have to tell them that they are fantasising.

[/quote]

Hissy fit![:D]

[/quote]

Nice comment. But hardly true...

I love the way that a snide comment can be 'neutralised' by a smiley.  Not.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I love the way that a snide comment can be 'neutralised' by a smiley.  Not.[/quote]

You just cannot abide anyone disagreeing with you.

I make my confit d'oignons without sugar, you buy yours in jars... 'nough said, I think [:)]

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Dick Smith"]I love the way that a snide comment can be 'neutralised' by a smiley.  Not.[/quote]

I make my confit d'oignons without sugar, you buy yours in jars... 'nough said, I think [:)]

[/quote]

Hilarious! Snider and snider!

It's like being savaged by a sheep...

A fine dinner all round

âme, no more or less than I have come to expect, and receive, from my nearest and dearest [kiss] [kiss]

And no, the sprouts are not home grown, LIDL's finest no less.

Cat, we'll put it down to the sight of that luvverly L&B shall we [;-)]

[quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="Clair"][quote user="Dick Smith"]I love the way that a snide comment can be 'neutralised' by a smiley.  Not.[/quote]
[/quote]

Hilarious! Snider and snider!

It's like being savaged by a sheep...
[/quote]

Savaged by a sheep?  Goodness wasn't that Dennis Healey talking about Geoffrey Howe when the latter was Chancellor?

Actually, if I might make so bold...........the correct quotation was "savaged by a dead sheep"!

Well, I don't know about whether onion confit should be made with sugar or not, but I make mine like this:

800g finely sliced onions

200g chopped dates

Couple of crushed allspice

White pepper

Butter

Fry the onions slowly in the butter until soft then add the rest of the ingredients with a little water and simmer very gently until a thick paste is obtained. This is very good served cold with cheese or cold meats, a combination that horrifies my French neighbours.

Does anyone else worry that Google seems to have become the unquestioned arbiter in so many discussions these days?

Google can be a useful way of finding facts if the original source of "official" information can be found.

But for things that are often a matter of opinion, it all depends on how the query is worded.  For example, googling "confit d'oignons recette -sucre" I get 59,300 results, and if I then google "confit d'oignons recette sucre" I get 48,600.  Not proof by any means, just an indication of opinion (should I add a smilie here ?).